Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Another what bike should I get thread?
  • mescaline
    Free Member

Firstly, I’ll say Hi! I’m a new member on the forum, but I’ve been using it for a whie. I live in the cotswolds and usually get out on the bike every week, sometimes twice 🙂

I think on any forum I’ve posted on, this is the longest first post I’ve ever done, so apologies, and please bear with me!

I want to upgrade from my current ride to something a little newer. I’m not in a club, and usually ride with the same few guys so I don’t get much chance to try out other peoples bikes

There’s so much out there that I’m driving myself (and the mrs) mad with trying to decide what’s right for me. I don’t folow all the latest models and technical developments religously so I seem to find myself on Bike Radar reading reviews just so I can tell what I’m looking at.

I’ve got a 2004 Stumpjumper at the moment. It’s my first suspension bike and has been brilliant for the 2 years that I have had it. I’ve only got about £1500 to spend, so I have been looking at second hand bikes to make that little cash go a bit further.

Being based on the edge of the cotswolds most of my rides include some 20% plus climbs, so any replacement is going to have to be an efficient climber. It will also have to be able to cope with coming back down again. I don’t think that my riding style will require that I get anything too burly, I do small drops and kickers but not anthing too mental. I have done a few trail centres in the forest / south wales and I’m comfortable with the blue green and red routhes that I have done.

Initially I was after a Zesty, as a 2010 524 seems to be somewhere near my budget. They get great reviews and seem to be the do anything, anywhere bike that I’m looking for. As it’s gone on, I’m getting a bit worried about all the negative stuff about reliability of the frames and crappy BB design that I read on the forums. Even the Lapierre owners club forum.

I’ve also looked at getting a 2010 / 2011 Stumpjumper, which is looking more likely after reading all the bad stuff about the zestys.

What I’m asking is, are my concerns about the zesty justified? and what else should I be considering as an option?

Thanks,

Mike

munrobiker
    Free Member

I posted this on another thread yesterday. I don’t want to look like I’m spamming but it keeps popping up on my facebook and is very hard to ignore. It’s been in the Dirt 100 for 2 years running. Similar geometry to a Zesty but higher quality kit and if you are worried about anything breaking it’s got a warranty unlike anything 2nd hand.

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Cube-Stereo-Race-18-201009221718/

http://dirt.mpora.com/featured-article/2012-dirt-100-cube-stereo-sl.html

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirt-100-2011-cube-stereo-race.html

I would add though that the Zesty is a very reliable frame, it’s as likely to crack as any other and I don’t know where these rumours come from. If anything I’d say a Stumpy was more likely to break.

mescaline
    Free Member

Thanks munro. That’s a lot of bike for the money. With a warranty too. Definitely one to think about!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    therag
    Free Member

The 2010 zestys were cracking rear ends on the carbon models, but replaced under warranty. Bbs were also usless. But I would have thought all have been replaced by now leaving a fantastic bike. I had a 514, changed the Bb once and didn’t have any problems with the rear triangle.
    I was told to remove seat post and turn upside down after washing to prolong bbs life.
    The 214 & 314 had Ali rear ends so didn’t have the cracking issues.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Zesty is a great bike but I wouldn’t take the chance on a secondhand carbon one myself.

You might want to consider the Trek Fuel EX, probably some good deals on 2012 models now and it’s a very versatile bike. Climbs brilliantly, descends even better and is just great fun to ride.

If considering mail order, the new Canyon Nerve AL+ looks brilliant. Great geometry and very well specced.
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3039#tab-reiter2

mescaline
    Free Member

I went and bought the cube. Having a warranty was too hard to turn down for the money. One of my biking mates has had 3 warranty issues with his last 2 bikes. The thought of footing the bill for a new frame or something was too much.
    Thanks for the help. I’ll let you know how it turns out 🙂

So who wants a nice 04 stumpjumper pro then?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Another what bike should I get thread?’ is closed to new replies.