Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another watch thread… Luminous, everyday analogue – bang for buck
  • higgo
    Free Member

Looking for a smart watch with either glow in the dark hands and numerals or a backlit face. It's for every day wear – I have one that sort of fits the bill but it's too chunky to wear for work (cuffs). It would be handy if it was robust – I've got a cheap old watch I use for riding but I don't always remember to put it on ('til I'm airborne). For reasons I can't quite explain I really don't like G-Shock watches. Would like to spend about £1.20 but will pay more for the right watch.

Suggestions please…

CountZero

The one I wear, the MWC G10 sounds just the ticket. It's black, unobtrusive, with a 30mm face, it keeps excellent time, and best of all, it uses Tracer self-illuminating markers. I can't find a bookmark for the people I got it from, but they were a British military personel supplier, and mine was about £89, reduced from somewhere around £120ish. I'll have a grep around google and see if I recognise the supplier, but the Tracer watches are very good as well, and you can get those through flecktarn.co.uk

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Animal – around £50

Moses

My Pulsar kinetic was a Guardian offer at about £70 and is both 100m waterproof and smart enough for office use. The luminosity is fine.

Look here

CountZero

Here's the puppy, on the manufacturers site. Can't find the people I used, but there's plenty to choose from:
    http://www.mwcwatches.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=118&osCsid=03230b8079b1817af17b20752d674b81
    Animal watches are good, but few watches have the tritium vial markers which are amazingly bright at night, and don't need any other source to glow. Had mine for a well over a year now, and it keeps much better time than my TAG does.

CountZero

Piccy:

higgo
    Free Member

Moses – how's the Lumibrite in the morning?

That's really what I need it for. I need to know what time it is in a dark bedroom when I wake up without switching a light on. (This I my own bedroom btw – I'm not some sort of lothario or nightcreeper!)

My current Seiko does have some nominal luminous bits which are fine if you pop it under a bright light and then need to check the time in the next 10 minutes or so. But I understand 'Lumibrite' is better than the old stuff.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Timex Expedition Camper:

fabric strap is washable
    dial is easy to read
    indiglo
    luminous pointy bits

and £20

none of your fancy rubbish just an understated timepiece that saves me getting my mobile out of my pocket and accidentally calling someone

CountZero

The markers and hands on the MWC G10 glow permanently, that's why they're called self -illuminating. Even after a year in a totally dark place they glow brightly. Life is apparently about ten years. They glow bright enough to see clearly in a cinema with the lights down. Military users have to be careful at night because a sniper could easily see the glow through a scope at night. ( That used to be a problem with luminous dials during WW1).

joolsburger
    Free Member

Get a traser.

The most luminous of watches.

http://www.traserh3.co.uk/?kw=traser&fl=282915&ci=2854627044&network=s&gclid=CODO_Ie9pp4CFQ6Z2AodBWLYlQ

It uses capsules of something called tritium that glow for life of around 20 years ideal for your morning scenario.

Aristotle
    Free Member
    Aristotle
    Free Member

Actually, this is probably more suited to the discerning STWer:

Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon

I would never be without mine.

MTT
    Free Member

Second CWC G10, have a look on eBay for a used one with issue stamps for a bit of interest. I went through the fancy watch phase and settled for an IWC (not in budget):

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think I may have chavvish tendencies as I love a nice big watch, mmmmm I like em BIG….Mine weighs a ton!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another watch thread… Luminous, everyday analogue – bang for buck’ is closed to new replies.