Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Another tyre pairing question…
  • ebennett

I’ve just picked up a Maxxis HR2 as I needed to get the CRC basket over £100 for the BC discount, but have just realised it’s a 2.4 rather than a 2.3 😳 . Currently running a Minion DHF 2.3 up-front and a 2.3 HR2 at the back and was planning on replacing the back with the new one once it needs doing. Realistically, is it going to make much difference having a 2.4 rather than a 2.3 at the back? Or should I try and get a wider front tyre to compensate.

I suspect the answer is that there will be sod all difference but thought I’d ask 😀 !

kiksy
    Free Member

Pretty sure the 2.4 has huge knobs compared to the 2.3.

orena45

I had a 2.3″ Minion DHF front and a 2.4″ HR II back for 12 months and it was fine. Sod all difference 😉

Northwind

The 2.4 and 2.3 are pretty different tyres, the 2.4’s been on the knob enlargement cream. (the 2.3 isn’t all that good tbh so from that point of view it’s a win). But it’ll also be a bit draggier. Don’t worry about the size, it’s not important really.

(it might be worth trying the dhf on the rear… I hate that tbh, it grips well and rolls OK but it’s horrible when it slides… But it’s one of ht emost popular rears ever so, lots of people don’t agree…)

SirHC

But it’s one of ht emost popular rears ever so, lots of people don’t agree…

Only because Sam Hill did it.

teamslug
    Free Member

“Don’t worry about the size, its not that important really”

Someone tell my wife that 😯

Northwind

Sir HC – Member

Only because Sam Hill did it.

I think also because the old DHR was even worse.

ebennett

Thanks all, might try that as the rear is pretty worn but the front looks ok. Though the DHF is 3c so will probably go in a few weeks at the rear 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Another tyre pairing question…’ is closed to new replies.