• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another tubeless question (sorry) minion dual ply
  • D0NK

Right finally got my new minion rear dual ply to mount (sort of) on an 819 ust rim. Used a tube to get one side mounted and after removing tube/adding tubeless valve I can pump a track pump like a loon and the second side starts to mount on the rim but never gets up to a proper pressure and pops off the rim when I stop pumping. Tyre maybe gets up to 10-15psi, there seems to be too much air loss from around the vertical ribs on the tyre (raised line of rubber that goes down to the bead maybe ten of them in total around the tyre) Any ideas? Do i try to cut these ribs off or just put some sealent in and try again? I'm worried the sealent will just spray out everywhere tho.

After previous failures/sealent waste I use a removeable core valve, make sure the tyre mounts properly then add sealent later, not sure what to do about this one.

giantjason
    Free Member

is the tyre tubeless specific or a normal tyre?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Use a compressor, I've never managed to seat seat a dual ply maxxis without one. Don't fanny about cutting bits off, you just need a good blast of air to get the tyre up and over the ridge in the rim.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    schrickvr6
    Free Member

How difficult/easy was the tyre to get on the rim?

As said don't got chopping the tyre up.

D0NK

Non ust tyre (they only do tubeless in 2.5")
    No access to a compressor 🙁
    Wasn't going to hack at the tyre just very intricate bit of knife work to remove – rib looks like this (lower right hand of pic the bit running across the 4 bead ridges)

Getting tyre on was fine with a normal tube and without a tube, using a massive spesh "DH" tube it was bloody hard work, tube tends to end up under the tyre bead and make it really difficult to get on.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

D0NK

Maybe should have gone for a 2.5" ust version but
    A. 2.5" is a bit big and no doubt really heavy, a 2.3" dual play is similar weight to enduro + DH tube that I ran before hopefully more rip/tear resistant.
    And
    B. I was planning on putting it on a non ust 5.1 rim, no luck mounting that at all with duck tape method, may try bmx tube method when i manage to get a tube.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Got a pair of these too and I couldn't get them to inflate on my 819's even with gunk and a compressor. Ran them tubed for a while before going back to UST.

D0NK

Doesn't sound good yetiman, in what way wouldn't they inflate exactly? bead mount the rim? tyre wouldn't seal? etc?
    I did google it and quite a few dh sites said minion dual ply non ust were fine for running tubeless.

Bro-Bra
    Free Member

I have mounted these many times on mavic tubeless rims using the a 50-50 mix of washing-up liquid and water solution smeared around the bead7rim and a track pump. IMO you will find it near impossible without the washing-up liquid solution.

VanHalen

i got my non ust singleplys to ghetto yesterday with a track pump and sealant. there was a bit of spray but as long as you are not in the lounge and give it some wellie you`ll be fine.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I got my singleply 2.35 minions to mount tubeless on my 819 no bother. Gave them some real testing over the last 2 weeks and they're perfect. I did the same as Bro-Bra, doused them on 50-50 washing liquid and water, eased one side on and then pumped with a track pump. They inflated and stayed like that without sealant but slowly deflated overnight (as expected). Remove valve core, add sealant and pump back up. Perfect.

slowrider
    Free Member

get a co2 cannister if you dont have access to a compressor, they do they job fine. also, try putting a luggage strap type thing round the tire after you have pulled the bead in to place as best you can. with a bit of fettling you can get the strap to encourage the tyre to push itself against the rim rather than letting all the air out.

D0NK

Will try the 50/50 solution if that don't work I'll try ghetto style. Not got a luggage strap but did try with a couple of belts linked, no luck probably not enough tension in it tho. Might invest in a co2 pump too.

It's weird cos when I got some single ply minions last year I tried them on a ust rim and they went up first time no faffage at all.

Cheers for the suggestions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another tubeless question (sorry) minion dual ply’ is closed to new replies.