Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another tubeless convert question thread…. (DT Swiss rims and UST Nobby Nics)
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Right, although I have decided not to buy new a Stans Olympic wheelset until later this year, I have decided to go tubless on my current rear (and possible front) wheel after two punctures at the weekend.

Might just pop up to my lbs to get it done (probably use thebikechain for this one), but what are thoughts on the following:

I have a DT Swiss 4.2D rim on the front and a DT Swiss 420SL on the rear (which I believe is basically a 4.2D). Is it a case of ripping off the yellow rim strip, sticking down some new fangled tubeless rim strip, sticking in a tubeless valve (glue or sealant to stick it in?), forcing on a UST tyre (I'm thinking some Nobby Nic or Racing Ralph USTs in 2.1" for racing), pumping really hard with a track pump until it pops on neatly, then letting some air out, injecting some sealant through the valve and going for a spin?

Does this sound like a sensible and reliable way to go?

Incidentally, since I don't want to change tyres all the time if they are tubeless (and won't get spare wheels until much later this year), Racing Ralph or Nobby Nic for a "one tyre does all" XC racing setup?

dasnut
    Free Member

yes, but good luck with getting the tyres on. I found DT swiss rims and tubeless were bobbins. Had to cut a high roller of a 5.1 once as well it was completely stuck on the bead.
    Oh and the rims were soft.

Not had same problem with Stans Flows or Mavic 819\823

Ti29er
    Free Member

If you can't do it your LBS will!

+1 for tubeless (Bonty X lite rims)

The 2.2 ACX was fine, the 2.0 mud was a pig!

firestarter
    Free Member

i had problems doing my ex1750 wheels i ended up doing it with non tubeless maxxis tyres no problems at all i also nearly cut my ust racing ralphs off 😉

br
    Free Member

There is no 'one-tyre', if there was, we'd all have 'em…

The standard Stans kit works fine in a 4.2/420, but I wouldn't bother with UST's, just get some standard tyres instead.

But as far as a track pump goes, I've never managed it – bought a compressor instead.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks all. So a couple of non-UST Nobby Nics, a Stans kit and a bit of effort to fit them on?

If non-UST Schwalbes do the job, are UST versions only worth it if not using sealant or something?

PS – re the no 'one tyre' comment. I agree, but I guess I am looking for the best compromise until I have two sets of wheels!

allankelly

DIY works very well indeed. 20" tube and some sealant. TBC have Joe's in.

Our "it's dead good and easy too" site:
    http://www.tubelesswheels.com

Cheers, al.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Al – all makes a bit more sense after having a peek at that site. Guess I'll go for a stans or joes kit or similar. Still not sure whether it is worth getting the UST or regular tyre. Presumably the non-UST needs pumped up a bit more often.

Seamus
    Free Member

Currently running a non UST NN on a DT 4.2 rim using a stans rims strip and sealant. No more difficult than any other non UST tyre I've tried to fit, but I do use a compressor. Any tyre has been a stuggle using a track pump.

DenDennis
    Free Member

If not going for UST you may want to consider the 'snakeskin sidewall' or 'DD' versions of the nics. UST generally have a much tougher side wall, so less prone to gashes/rips which even sealant won't help with- I've gone for the DD and they're pretty tough.

Crell
    Free Member

I found non-UST NN's to be an absolute pita to fit to 4.2d rims. Getting them to inflate is a nightmare, and a real lottery without a compressor. UST NNs are a cinch on the other hand. I also found that a relatively small ding in a 4.2 has totally crippled it's ability to run a non-UST NNs. The tyre will burp even at higher pressures if it gets deflected (say) by a rock. I'm not that keen on the UST versions though – the sidewalls are mega stiff. I'll have to try the DDs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another tubeless convert question thread…. (DT Swiss rims and UST Nobby Nics)’ is closed to new replies.