Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Another Transition Scout
  • solarider
    Free Member

1st bouncy bike for a while, and I am really pleased with it. I deliberated over size (went for L instead of XL). I deliberated over colour (in the end happy with green over black, but it is VERY green!). I deliberated over pretty much everything in fact.

Once the deliberation was over, it took ages to build:

1) Fitting the Invisframe was a labour of love, but worth it.
    2) Routing the cables internally through air con tubing to prevent rattles took some working out.
    3) A proper bleed of the brakes.
    4) Don’t get me started on fitting those tyres tubeless (inflate using a tube overnight, deflate, reinflate to seat, deflate, add Stans fluid, reinflate) again, worth it in the end.
    5) Waiting for the DT XM401 rims to come back into stock.

Going to get it out and mucky on Monday, but for the moment after an initial bed-in ride today, it feels lovely.

Full build list below. I went for more of an XC build, but still robust. Quite similar to Prezet’s from a week or so ago. A mix of XT and XTR. The XTR rear mech works absolutely fine with the 42 tooth cassette despite what Shimano might have you believe.

The XTR hubs are rarely used, but spin sooooo smoothly. Can’t recommend Harry Rowland enough for wheel building. I have had many pairs from him in the past, and his quality is excellent.

Frame – Transition Scout (L)
    Fork – Fox F34 CTD 150mm
    Headset – Chris King Inset 2 (black)
    Chainset – Shimano XT 8000 (175mm, 32t)
    Bottom Bracket – Chris King Threadfit 24
    Pedals – Shimano XT Trail
    Rear Derailleur – Shimano XTR 9000
    Shifters – Shimano XTR 9000
    Brakes – Shimano XTR 9000
    Chain – KMC X-11 SL
    Cassette – Shimano XT 8000 (11/42)
    Hubs – Shimano XTR (15mm/12 x 142mm)
    Rims – DT XM 401 26.5 (32 hole)
    Spokes – Sapim Race
    Tyres – Schwalbe Nobby Nic (2.35)
    Stem – Thomson X4 (70mm)
    Bars – Thomson Trail C
    Seatpost – KS Lev Integra (31.6 x 150mm drop)
    Saddle – Fizik Tundra M3
    Grip – ODI Ruffian

neilwheel
    Free Member

That’s tasty, yum, yum.

jamj1974

Like it!

andyecc
    Free Member

That does look nice!
    Very similar to what I’m hoping to build up soon. Please post up a ride report once you’ve had a proper ride on it.

honourablegeorge

XTR hubs look ace. Never really considered them… you’re right that you hear very little.about them. I guess people don’t want cup and cone

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Very nice that Andrew

solarider
    Free Member

First ride report, and it’s a cracker!

I am honest enough to report when a bike has been anything less than enjoyable, but this one is brilliant.

Pretty much a modern interpretation of my favourite bike of all time (Horst Link Turner 5 Spot). I can’t really heap any more praise on a bike than that. I know it is a cliche, but it really does have that ‘bottomless’ feel, but not so much travel that it feels wallowy. They got it right with the 4 bar design from the start, and now that the patent has expired, maybe we will see more.

Perhaps the Fox forks aren’t as plush as Pikes, but that might change at some point.

27.5 really is a nice sweet spot between the chuckability of 26 and the smooth rolling of 29. I guess it was inevitable that the industry would settle on a Goldilocks ‘just right’ middle wheel size, but my 29 hardtail will always have a place in my collection.

If anything it might be a little too long in the reach as I have it set up. I have a 70mm stem fitted but might need to succumb to the modern short stem trend – to me 70mm was already short!

I will need to get used to the dropper post. I tried to use it too much today I think and there were sections which were more about pedalling than freewheeling that I just felt like I wanted the saddle raised. I’ll get used to that I am sure. On the proper downhill bits, it was nice to be able to get lower. These new fangled droppers might just catch on!

andyecc
    Free Member

Nice write up – thanks.
    I’m sure you need to try a shorter stem, from everything I’ve read these really need something like a 30 – 40mm stem to make the most of the new geometry.
    Hope you carry on enjoying just as much for the long term.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ooh, that’s lovely.

FWIW mine arrived with a 45mm stem and bars with 30mm rise. I have gone to a 50mm with low rise bars. To me, it makes for more of an all rounder, better climber.

fathomer

Lovely, nice build as well, the XTR hubs are very pretty.

I’ve got a 50mm to go on mine when I build it (large/6′) but contemplating ordering a 40mm instead.

honourablegeorge

Hmm. I’m guessing the XTR hub can’t be had with an XD freehub.

bigjim

Yeah 70mm is pretty long for these bikes, I went from a 50 to a 35. I have the Smuggler but keen to take a Scout for a spin.

chiefgrooveguru

These new fangled droppers might just catch on

Welcome to the future! 😉

Great bike – not surprised you like it!

Don’t forget you can roll the handlebars forward or back to change the effective stem length and reach. That gives you +/-10mm effective stem length with most bar shapes.

Also with typical bar backsweep and a 30mm stem you’ll be at an effective stem length of 0mm (zero), so there’s a pretty big difference in steering feel between 30, 50 and 70mm stems (effective length 0, 20, 40mm).

prezet
    Free Member

Very nice. Got mine out at the weekend to Cannock for it’s first outing. Climbs SO much better than my old Covert did. Almost to the point that I enjoyed it! I didn’t even bother locking out the fork/shocks – just rode them open all the way around. The Giddy Up gives a great platform for pedalling on.

Descends great too. Although the longer wheelbase is going to take some getting used to. As others have said, I think a shorter stem might work well. Going to stick with the 50mm for a bit, but might well swap it to a 35mm later in the year.

trickydisco
    Free Member

How different is this giddyup suspension to Specialized FSR? Are they not using the same design?

I might get flamed for this but looks similar to a pitch

chiefgrooveguru

How different is this giddyup suspension to Specialized FSR? Are they not using the same design?

It’s one of the millions of possible true four bar designs. The exact suspension behaviour will depend upon the precise pivot locations – this particular version is designed with fairly high anti-squat and gently progressive leverage ratio. It’s actually closer in kinematics to a lot of common rotating short link four bar designs than to a classic Horst link design.

Specialized’s own FSR designs vary a lot too. If you want to know how efficient any full-sus bike is at pedalling, draw a line through each of the links which are attached to the front triangle. Those two lines will cross at a point which is the virtual pivot point. Then draw a line along the upper half of the chain and on past the cranks – the perpendicular distance between that line and the virtual pivot point determines the frame anti squat.

Generally frames have somewhere between 0 and 120% anti-squat in the middle ring – a high % equals efficient pedalling, a low % equals more active suspension when pedalling.

dday

Very nice OP. I’m sitting here drumming fingers in anticipation of my Smuggler on order. Rode a friends Scout last week, feels very capable. I like the idea of the invisframe.

solarider
    Free Member

A couple of loops of the Blue and one of the Red at Swinley today. Lovely day for it too. Soft but not boggy underfoot, and blue skies above.

I really did enjoy the bike. It disappears which is a huge compliment. Climbs nicely, very active on the descents, stiff. And despite being caked in mud, it is still VERY green! I am really happy with the build and the kit, and other than spending big money on something carbon and exotic (and even then possibly not), I don’t see how it could be beaten for its intended use (aggressive XC and trails). It has the modern long, low, slack geometry, a well matched rear shock and a classic 4 bar linkage set up. Not much not to like really. In fact, lots to like!

3 downsides:

1) I definitely need a shorter stem. I have a little lower back ache from over-reaching, particularly whilst turning with 760mm bars.

2) Despite the revised geometry for 2016, the bb is very low. I installed scuff boots on the cranks, and I am glad I did. I have never experienced pedal strike with any other bike, either FS or hardtail, but I did 4 or 5 times today. I am running 175mm cranks and don’t intend to change, so I will just need to get used to a slightly different technique over certain obstacles.

3) After years of being a Fox fan, these forks are just too over damped. Releasing some pressure just increases the sag, and no matter what I did with the dials, they just didn’t match the rear for smooth supple travel. Think it might be time for a Pike.

None of them are deal breakers, and if anybody is in the market for this kind of bike, I can heartily recommend the Scout, and Pedals in Edinburgh as a great place to buy one from.

Now, if they release a carbon version…………

pigyn
    Free Member

Glad you like it! They are ace fun. I would say take another look at 170mm cranks though, even if you are tall enough for 175s then the lack of strikes is worth it.

For anyone looking these are going to be very thin on the ground until April, we have a few mediums left (including black) but nothing bigger until the next delivery.

I have been looking at the Orbea Occam AM as a sort of carbon-scout-alike while they hurry up and make the real thing..

darrenspink
    Free Member

1) I definitely need a shorter stem. I have a little lower back ache from over-reaching, particularly whilst turning with 760mm bars.

Had the same problem with my 50mm when i moved to super wide bars.
    Also thought my weighting was a bit off when hammering down stuff so went for a 35 and now its perfect.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have last years Scout, without the BB height tweak and I also run 175mm cranks. I did initially get the occasional pedal strike where I did not on my previous bike, notable on my well known local trails. However, now I am aware that the BB is that low its a manageable characteristic of the bike.
    1 year in I do not have an issue with it and keep my inside pedal high without thinking about it now.

pigyn
    Free Member

You can certainly learn to live with it at 175, I am only 5ft 9 anyway so 170s fit me better regardless. Plus I ‘pedal through everything to use my fittness to keep speed up instead of skill’

And that’s why you should never do a skills day with someone you know 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

I think you adapt to it. I remember my santa cruz superlight had a low BB of 12.3″ (312mm) which is a whole 18mm lower than the scout

solarider
    Free Member

50mm stem ordered.

I will hold off on the shorter cranks until I have ridden it a bit more. Might be just a case of altering my riding style over obstacles to level the pedals. At 6ft 2in, I do prefer 175mm arms, but regardless of clearance the current thinking is for shorter crank arms. I just had a bike fit on my road bike. Other than position, the 2 recommendations were narrower bars (contrary to the trend off road), which I have done and shorter cranks, which I have not. Mainly for financial reasons, but also because after decades running 175’s I didn’t feel like I could quickly adjust to the change in pedalling style, although there was an interesting video on GCN recently about optimim power output based on crank length and they also concluded that shorter cranks are ‘better’.

The bike is currenty sat muddy but smeling of GT85 (is there a better smell?!). Quick wash in the morning followed by Leith Hill tomorrow afternoon I think. Let’s see about those cranks after that……

neallyman
    Free Member

I have just bought one of these (frame only just now) and will be building it to have a 27.5 + front end. Also bought it from pedals Edinburgh. Just now deliberating whether to go 140 or 130mm with the front forks. Leaning towards 130mm as the 27.5 + has a higher axle to crown so feeling is I need to drop the travel slightly to compensate (also a taller tyre). Anyway looking forward to getting it built in the next week or so, they look like a right hoot.

solarider
    Free Member

Great choice. You’ll love it I am sure.

They recommend a 140mm fork for standard 27.5 wheels.

I fitted a 150mm and it is absolutely fine despite the front/rear mismatch of travel.

In which case, I would be tempted to run a 140mm 27.5+ fork. Once you factor in sag and compression, in truth the 10mm either way won’t make a huge difference. On the trail, the fork is rarely static anyway and is constantly changing in length.

solarider
    Free Member

50mm stem fitted. Went for the Thomson, and it does look a little industrial (more like a DH stem), but the fit is spot on.

So, it would appear that this dropper post/short stem/27.5 thing has some merit.

Only down side? I have a lovely 29er Cielo that looks like it might be seeing very little use.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Another Transition Scout’ is closed to new replies.