Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)
  • Another Tory Gaffe
  • kimbers

as i see it the term breeding is the offensive bit its a word assosciated with livestock or corgis
    when a member of the aristocracy starts talking about ‘the poor’ in such terms it sounds even worse

Ewan
    Free Member

Well, the stuff in those links around the housing register seems to indicate that with a bunch of kids we would be in a ‘housing priority’ band that would result in a getting a decent house as opposed to the one bedroom flat I have now… it might not be imeditate but we’d get something eventually.

The welfare state as it is at the moment basically says ‘don’t worry about your life choices, we’ll sort you out’.

I don’t have the answer but some how a bit of responsiblity needs to be injected, e.g. don’t have 5 qids unless you earn 100k a year and can actually afford to support your family, or, don’t eat junk food all day long and smoke fags unless you can afford the tripple bypass you’re going to need.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So anyway……………………no one has mentioned why Howard Flight was deselected as the sitting Tory MP for Arundel and South Downs then ?

Probably best to mention it then…………….he was deselected (by the Tory leader) for saying that the Tories in government, could make more spending cuts than they were promising in their election campaign.

Which doesn’t seem like a very serious misdemeanor to me.

Yeah OK, the guy was lying…………perish the thought that a Tory government should carry out swingeing spending cuts which they had failed to mention before a general election……but still 😕

No swingeing cuts in first year, says David Cameron

Quote :

“A Conservative government would not make “swingeing cuts” to public spending during its first year, party leader David Cameron has said.” January 2010

Ewan
    Free Member

as i see it the term breeding is the offensive bit its a word assosciated with livestock or corgis
    when a member of the aristocracy starts talking about ‘the poor’ in such terms it sounds even worse

To be fair, the bloke used the word ‘breeding’ in relation to the middle classes, and never even said the word poor. Besides he’s only a member of the aristocracy as of this week…

Full quote is this:

“We’re going to have a system where the middle classes are discouraged from breeding because it’s jolly expensive.

“But for those on benefits, there is every incentive. Well, that’s not very sensible.”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For example, you are free to dismiss my opinions as “tripe” and “patronising”. I’d prefer it if you were able to debate on a more mature level, but more importantly I’m pleased that you’re able to express your opinion.

I have to apologise here as I’m using a phone to post so can’t quite take your post to pieces in the manner I’d like to. It’d take all night. I’m still detecting a patronising tone there; you might want to work on disguising that.

Are you getting mixed up between a statement of “fact” (or a possible porkie) and a “view”? I think there exists legislation on telling lies, be they written or spoken. Come to think of it, there also exists legislation to reign in the language used by people when given a public platform to express their views. I wonder why. Is it just to upset people like you who’d have any old nutter say whatever he wants?

Why do you think CallMeDave censured Flight on this one? Because he knows that it was unacceptable language to use.

So let’s clear this up again. You think it’s fair enough to express any old opinion you want in public? As long as it’s not a porkie pie?

Rio

when a member of the aristocracy BBC report quoting an Evening Standard headline starts talking about ‘the poor’ in such terms it sounds even worse

Fixed it for you.

kennyp
    Free Member

as i see it the term breeding is the offensive bit

Surely though the aristocracy use “breeding” when talking about themselves too?

druidh
    Free Member

Tory gaffe: MP uses a phrase which some find offensive.

Labour gaffe: PM takes the country into an illegal war where thousands are killed.

Your point caller?

kennyp
    Free Member

Would it be acceptable for him to say ” send all teh fuzzy wuzzies home” ?

If he did say it then I would regard him as an unpleasant person and not someone I’d ever go for a pint with. However I think it should be acceptable that he be allowed to say it.

druidh
    Free Member

kennyp – Member

Surely though the aristocracy use “breeding” when talking about themselves too?

They absolutely do.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

You think it’s fair enough to express any old opinion you want in public? As long as it’s not a porkie pie?

Personally – as long as its not illegal (eg. breaching the laws of incitement to racial hatred, violence or public order laws), then yes, I see no problem at all! after all, thats why we have those laws, to draw a line between what is acceptable and what is not.

Howard Flight has committed the biggest sin in C21st British politics. He has said what, deep down, we all know to be true!

Torminalis
    Free Member

Labour gaffe: PM takes the country into an illegal war where hundreds of thousands are killed.

Fixed.

kennyp
    Free Member

So let’s clear this up again. You think it’s fair enough to express any old opinion you want in public? As long as it’s not a porkie pie?

I apologise if I’m coming over as patronising. I honestly don’t aim to be, no matter what you think. Insult me if you like, but I assure you you’re wrong.

However I do think that yes, it’s acceptable to express any opinion as long as it’s not a lie. I regard the right to freedom of speech/opinion/expression to be very important.

kennyp
    Free Member

Why do you think CallMeDave censured Flight on this one? Because he knows that it was unacceptable language to use.

No, it’s because he’s a professional politician.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Nonk – rubbish – there is research done on this and this myth is comprehensivly demolished

TandemJeremy – Member
    It really does not happen apart from very rarely. This is the fact. <Much research backs this

TandemJeremy – Member
    Nonk – and all the experts in social policy and research I have read but cannot find now show that this does not happen ( apart from perhpas very occasionally)

TandemJeremy – Member
    nice backpeddle there.

Its a tiny amount. Not a reasonable basis to make policy on.

I’m still waiting for the research to back previous assertions, or are they internet statistics? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

as long as its not illegal

Probably won’t be many times I say this, but I’m in agreement. I have no problem with Flight saying what he said. As I said, I find it comforting to hear a Tory talk in such language.

I would have a more serious problem with freely expressed language to incite racial hatred. It seems as if kennyp doesn’t though. Fair dues.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Yeah OK, the guy was lying…………perish the thought that a Tory government should carry out swingeing spending cuts which they had failed to mention before a general election……but still

No swingeing cuts in first year, says David Cameron

Quote :

“A Conservative government would not make “swingeing cuts” to public spending during its first year, party leader David Cameron has said.” January 2010

maybe they didn’t realise the extent of the problem

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/17/liam-byrne-note-successor

“Unfortunately, when I opened it, it was a one-sentence letter which simply said: ‘Dear chief secretary, I’m afraid to tell you there’s no money left,’ which was honest but slightly less helpful advice than I had been expecting.”

nonk
    Free Member

[/quote]Nonk – rubbish – there is research done on this and this myth is comprehensivly demolished [/quote]
    bigndaft that top quote is the exact reason i had to take tj up on this,he uses it for every debate he takes part in and it bores me to tears.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, it’s because he’s a professional politician.

Ergo, it was unacceptable language to use as a politician. If I heard a bloke talking like that in the pub, I’d think to myself “not my type of person” and be on my way. If I heard my MP saying it, I’d let her know what I thought of her for doing so.

timdrayton
    Free Member

TJ I hope you answer this.

Tim – I don’t understand how you are disadvantaged. You get offered an appropriate property to your needs. I get offered **** all. Am I disadvantaged?
    Why do you want a property greater than your needs? properties aere in short suply since the sell off of council houses so must be allocated on a basis of need.

the point was that we werent offered a property for 3 years, and then only a private let that we have to subsidise by use of the Discretionary Housing Payment (ie they dont pay our full rent)..

we were assesed as having a need for a two bed property, as my wife has noisy breathing aids and i occasionaly need to sleepmmmm

a single parent family with a child (for example) are given preference for 2 bed houses (i have been told by a council official that we would not ever get a house as these were always (and as council policy), given to families with children). and when you consider that northampton council have lots of two bed houses and virtually no 2 bed bungalows/flats then…..

having a child gets you a house free from the council in northampton.

So answer me this TJ

In northampton, how is having children whilst on benefits, not a potential means to get a house?

put this in one of your graphs….

disabled wife – 3+ years wait and nothing

1 kid, immediate housing at highest priority..

big_n_daft
    Free Member

nonk – Member
    bigndaft that top quote is the exact reason i had to take tj up on this,he uses it for every debate he takes part in and it bores me to tears.

I ask because I’m apparently an intellectual coward or something like that

I can feel the internat slowing down as the desperate search of online research goes on 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member

Rubbish, Cameron and Clegg used it as a stick to bash Labour with during the election.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I just wish they’d stop apologizing after the fact. Just once I’d love to hear them say, “yes, I said it, and I damm well meant it, now either do something about it or shut the hell up”. Labour, Liberal or Conservative I’m not arsed, just say what you really think!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

rubbish, if they had been given this before the election even GB would have been at the job centre instead of taking money under false pretences whilst writing his new book

“Unfortunately, when I opened it, it was a one-sentence letter which simply said: ‘Dear chief secretary, I’m afraid to tell you there’s no money left,’ which was honest but slightly less helpful advice than I had been expecting.”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tim – not to make light of your wifes illness but the council has a series of criteria to decide need and allocates houses on the basis of need, I don’t see anything wrong with this.

I don’t really understand your point. Do you think you should be a higher priority that a family with children?

Big and daft – I couldn’t find the research – I did provide some quotes from people who actually know about this stuff and I have read reports on the research but I could not find it.

NO one has actually come up with any decent evidence that people do have children to get more benefits. Just a load os f stories and tabloid trash.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah……the Tories hadn’t understood the state of the UK economy………that’s the reason !!!

And they only realised, according to you, when they found a “one-sentence letter” ! 😀

So why was that big_n_daft …….weren’t they paying attention ? The state of the economy isn’t a state secret you know, and Tories were in parliament, sat on Select Committees, etc.

They really should pay more attention…..what were they doing for goodness sake ?

Anyway, we digress……..why was Lord Flight sacked/deselected by the Tory leader, for claiming that a Tory government could make more spending cuts than they had promised in an election campaign ?

nonk
    Free Member

Big and daft – I couldn’t find the research – I did provide some quotes from people who actually know about this stuff and I have read reports on the research but I could not find it.

well tj acording to your very own rules of debate that my freind is not worth a toss then is it?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Tim – not to make light of your wifes illness but the council has a series of criteria to decide how they prioitise need and allocates houses on the basis of that assessment of need, I don’t see anything wrong with this.

fixed it for you

ahhh the old absence of evidence is not evidence of absence defence 😉

but hold on….

NO one has actually come up with any decent evidence that people do have children to get more benefits. Just a load os f stories and tabloid trash.

so you haven’t seen any then? how extensively have you researched this subject, which academic journal databases have you scoured?

If someone finds a paper will you eat your fedora? 😉

ernie

So why was that big_n_daft …….weren’t they paying attention ? The state of the economy isn’t a state secret you know, and Tories were in parliament, sat on Select Committees, etc.

They really should pay more attention…..what we they doing for goodness sake ?

they were in opposition, no red boxes filled nightly by civil servants for them. No details of the last minute “spend everything” labour irresponsibility etc etc

kennyp
    Free Member

I would have a more serious problem with freely expressed language to incite racial hatred. It seems as if kennyp doesn’t though. Fair dues.

To be honest, yes I do. I think the principal of being able to express an opinion is more important than the opinion itself, no matter how objectionable it may be.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Where’s Elfin?

Not like him to miss the liberal knicker wetting outrage bus? 😛

kennyp
    Free Member

Ergo, it was unacceptable language to use as a politician. If I heard a bloke talking like that in the pub, I’d think to myself “not my type of person” and be on my way. If I heard my MP saying it, I’d let her know what I thought of her for doing so.

In the current climate yes it is seen as unacceptable. What I’m saying is that I think the current climate is wrong and that it should be acceptable. Not everyone agrees with that which is fair enough, but it’s my opinion.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kenny – as a private person you can express any idea you want – as an elected representative you are rightly limited. Free speech still exists. He could have insisted he was right and would have had to resign to do so

politicians over the years have done this.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they were in opposition, no red boxes filled nightly by civil servants for them.

But according to you, a joke one-sentence note left by a departing Labour comedian, was all that was needed 😀

And you obviously didn’t bother reading the link I posted ……… in it, Cameron appears to have a very good grasp of the scale of the government debt. Despite that, he promises no “swingeing cuts”.

Of course some cynics might suggest that Cameron only promised no swingeing cuts because he wanted to win the election, and he knew damn well that voters would not back swingeing Tory cuts.

Do you think there could be any truth in that ?

Or do you think it’s out of the question ?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

as an elected representative you are rightly limited.

Howard Flight is not an elected representative though!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What TJ said. I’m finding the brick wall quite sore on my head now. The free speech argument has been done over and over again. We rightly limit the language that can be used in public. If you don’t like that law, write to your MP. With any luck it’ll be a Tory one. They seem to like saying fairly offensive shite. Including taking the piss out of dwarves too.

Lifer
    Free Member

they were in opposition, no red boxes filled nightly by civil servants for them. No details of the last minute “spend everything” labour irresponsibility etc etc

So despite this ‘last minute’ spend Gordo still hung on to Downing Street as long as he could?

Condems will not be able to use the ‘Oh but it’s because Labour blah blah blah’ bull for very much longer.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Howard Flight is not an elected representative though!

Gosh…………..that’s a relief.

kennyp
    Free Member

as an elected representative you are rightly limited. Free speech still exists

But surely TJ, those two statements contradict each other? I think elected representatives should have the right of free speech (lies excepted). If the majority disagree then they won’t be re-elected. My concern is that freedom of speech is slowly being eroded.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Edited. Thought Z-11 was quoting me but it was TJ.

kennyp
    Free Member

The free speech argument has been done over and over again.

Only because it’s a principal worth defending. It’s not defending the actual views expressed.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘Another Tory Gaffe’ is closed to new replies.