Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Another surfing thread
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I know there has been a few and I've read through them but wanted to ask a couple of questions:
    – How much for a half decent wetsuit for autumn/winter?
    – Where is good for a long weekend in say late oct?

Up until now I've been a sponger/boogie boarder/body boarder whatever you want to call it. Family hols in france left me with a pretty good bodyboard which kept me going for the odd good days in bournemouth at uni. But thinking about getting a stand-up for bi-yearly trips.

Not sure where to start but the wetsuit is dying and thats the most important thing. I've got a 20yr old 5mm I think that could literally be falling apart and want to get something up to date. Have a shorty for summer and france but where do I look and what would be ideal for autumn storms in the uk? cornwall/south wales. 2nd hand probably

And I've been out the water for 4 years and missing one of the best feelings of my life – catching a decent wave. love it. So where should I head for my fix this autumn? Live in cheltenham so either S / SE Wales or cornwall is ideal. Somewhere with decent beginners surf (max i've been out in is 5-6ft?) and decent mountain biking if the weather falls through?
    Will take bodyboard and hire a stand-up from somewhere.
    Dunno about where to sleep mind you. Campsites all closed now? possible to sleep in the back of my estate somewhere?

you may have guessed from the wetsuit "2nd hand probably" and the "sleep in the back of my estate somewhere" money isn't growing on tree's here yet but £100 on a wetsuit is manageable and double on a board? or can I settle for lower?

Mowgli
    Free Member

I just got a 3/2mm Ripcurl basic suit for £70. It's not got any fancy features (like the thing that goes over your head to stop you getting flushed, or welded seams etc) but will do the job for a couple of years. I think it'll be getting too cold for a summer suit by mid – end of October though. A budget 5/4/3mm might be £140 retail, and beginning of the winter is not the time to pick up bargains!

Croyde Bay and Woolacombe are probably the nearest spots to you. Or maybe Porth Cawl or Gower? There are campsites at Croyde and Wooly, but I used to sleep in the car just above Putsborough cos I'm a cheapskate.

BigJohn

Just go to Porthcawl or Southerndown for the day. Check out the Forces Of Nature website.

carlphillips
    Free Member

pass by plymouth and buy my used twice 6'10 kaiten quad board by luke young for £250 (inc travel bag) bargain of the year for sure!!!
    links to model here
    it really is a sweet board but i ordered it a tad too big for me and a few issues with cash at the mo see me needing to get rid… immaculate condition.
    sorry for hijack!!!

elaineanne
    Free Member

how about wales ! Abersoch area porth neigwl (Hells Mouth) known locally
    daily surf report :mrgreen:

http://www.westcoastsurf.co.uk/surfreport.htm

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

South Wales or N Devon are your nearest waves.

Don't go mad on a wetsuit yet – get a low priced but good value brand like Alder. Xcel are best but you'll need almost £300. Alder are half that.

Get lessons if you can – the very best is Escape in Newquay run by the British team head coach (he's coached me) but might be a bit far?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Another surfing thread’ is closed to new replies.