Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Another sunnies thread – which Oakley lens?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I have chosen which fames I want for my new glasses (flak jacket XLJ) but need help with lenses

Ive been to a couple of bike shops and a real! glasses shop but to be honest I have been unimpressed with either the advice on offer, the stock levels to actually try, or both
    I will consequently be buying from the web

The thing is the choice of lenses seems a bit bewildering and I cant decide

Im going for clear for night riding but what else?
    I need a 3 season lens I suppose, with the clear for nights and the winter

From what I can gather the transitions look good but dont change fast enough for MTBing in the woods
    Black iridium is bl00dy dark
    And Im not sure if polarised is worth having

VR28 gets the most recs via Google

Any comments?

Cheers

Lummox

i've got some polarised lightish brown tint in a pair of oakleys i use these for 99% of the things i do including riding, only the very brightest days overcome the lense, also good in twighlight.

sockpuppet

i use the ice blue iridium in combination with a clear set – covers (almost) all situations IMO.

once in a while – say bright sunlight straight into very dense woods – and you might sruggle a bit with the blue lenses, but then i reckon you'd be hard pushed with any lens dark enough for sunshine, transitions or conventional.

if you could run to a third set the vr28 are supposed to be very good for overcast days, but only as a third set if you ask me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love my VR28 for most stuff but the wife loves here VR28 black iridium. More expensive and a little darker but anything too dark for them would be easily covered by the clear.

druidh
    Free Member

I actually find the Transitions are all the lenses I need. Clear enough for night riding and great in and out of the trees too. Lets face it – are you gonna swap your dark sunnies off everytime you hit a patch of trees?

RepacK
    Free Member

The Transitions are good – Im getting another pair having just lost my old ones. The only drawback is the price but Im getting mine in the States so mucho cheaper but still £££ or should that be $$$!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

OK thanks so far

One more question….

Ive always used clear lenses for night rides and winter

Are the yellow or "Persimmon" ones worth it?

Cheers

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I've got clear, yellow, and Blue Irridium ones for my Radars..

And yes, I really like the yellow ones on those sh1tty grey days, they just make the world look a better place.

I don't think ( Like most things bike orientated) its a case of "worth it".

If you want it, then buy it.

And if you find you don't like it- bung it on here.. someone is bound to want them!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

G30 works for me for general riding, plus a set of clears for night riding.

Potter
    Free Member

got a friend who has just purchased g30`s for his oakleys and absolutely swears by them,think they are aimed at golf but there ya go

matthew_h
    Free Member

I've got Radar's and use clear, vented lenses for night riding and VR28 Black Iridium for everything else and feel I have the perfect combo. The slight rose tint of the VR28s is great in almost all conditions and makes overcast days a lot nicer and they cut enough light out for really bright days.

simon_g

I've always liked the gold iridium for general use – filters enough on bright days, still works in the shade or when the sun ducks behind clouds.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Another sunnies thread – which Oakley lens?’ is closed to new replies.