Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Another stupid headset question
  • lucien

If I use 2 sets of forks, on the same bike, and each needs the ring for the fork crown, would I need to purchase 2 separate headsets or can I just buy the crown race thingy separately?

I’ve looked, but can’t find much…

Junkyard
    Free Member

really depends on the headset – some sell and some dont- not much hekp sorry

lucien

1 1/8th – standard type headset……

granny_ring

What make is headset?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the make of the headset not the forks or size of them

jonba
    Free Member

You can normally buy the crown races separately. It is easire with some makes over others. Expensive ones you should have no trouble, cheaper ones will be harder.

However if you don’t yet own a headset (i.e. you are building the bike) then get one with a split crown race and then you can change it over with minimal faff.

If you are using a headset with sealed cartridge bearing you can make the crown race spit by carefully cutting it with a hacksaw. I did this and it has been fine for 12 months. I swap between suspension and rigid.

iamsporticus
    Free Member
    Superficial
    Free Member

You can sometimes buy crown races separately. Hope do them, anyway. Depending on the headset, you may be able to mix and match crown races – sometimes a generic race will match up pretty well (there’s only a few ways a crown race can be designed). I’ve certainly done that in the past with no problems, although it may affect sealing etc so caveat emptor.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Another stupid headset question’ is closed to new replies.