Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Another Strava question
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Why is it that sometimes Strava doesn’t record specific segments on a ride? Its happened a couple of times.

Specific example, both myself and a mate rode a stretch of road yesterday, he got KOM, I didn’t even record a time.

It will let me create a new segment which it recognises as the same as the existing segment, so I’ve obviously been through the start and end points. Don’t want to clutter up the ride with duplicate segments however.

weeksy

riding is supposed to be fun 😉

wwaswas

I did my best ever (and first!) 10k race on Saturday. Despite matching me to the segment someone created that is the race course Strava won’t record my time as a PB over 10k.

I enjoyed the run but doesn’t mean I’m not confused by the way Strava has behaved subsequently.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmtb

Its really annoying when it does this.

I mainly use Strava to try and track my progress on the same loop.

Its really annoying to get home and find it hasn’t recorded any times over a section.

I’m actually thinking of going old school and using a watch!

warton
    Free Member

I did 105 miles yesterday, slogged my arse off the last 10 miles to get it up to 17mph average on my Garmin. Strava recorded it as 16.9.

My OCD is still crying.

irelanst
    Free Member

IIRC Strava matches a segment only if it’s segement data and your GPS measurements are within a certain tolerance, even if your start and end points are the same as the segment, the intermediate points have to agree for it to count – I get the same problem on one of my runs, It only recognises it as a segment maybe one out of three times (it’s in the woods so the signal is flakey).

wwaswas: my wife did a 10k yesterday and that didn’t show up as her PB either. The Garmin only measured it as 9.95km so she was a bit short. When you overlay the course route with the GPX it shows a few corners cut which was down to the recording interval. She did get a 400m PB though of 42 seconds, so I suspect a false reading somewhere!

clubber
    Free Member

It’s when your GPS route doesn’t track close enough to the segment as it was recorded. So if your phone/GPS miss a few points, that can be enough that strava doesn’t match what you rode with the segment.

Or it can be that your GPS is accurate but whoever set up the segment didn’t record it accurately.

Even if it doesn’t match a segment though you can see when you started and ended a bit of trail and work your own time out if it really bothers you.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Maybe it didn’t pick up your exact start/finish points as the start and finish on the segment?
    I had that for a while. I use Strava old-fashioned style of uploading a recorded GPX file. Increasing the resolution of recorded points means it picks up more precise segments now.

No idea if you can change that using the strava app though.

Edit – beaten to it!
    If you want a comparison, you can always create a segment over a similar section. You can keep it private, or delete it afterwards, to avoid duplication.

Sui
    Free Member

strava is the devil in disguise, with the aim to give everyone false hopes of greatness everytime they ride. I did 926mph the other day on a segment – I is well good..

there does seem to be quite a few odd reading lately – has the recent sun flaring had an impact do we think?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m only grumpy as I have a grand total of 2 KOMs, both rubbish wee sections that I didn’t even know existed!

The only time I should have bagged myself a popular segment and it doesn’t record it…Baaaaa typical!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Does it work better if you manually upload a file rather that from your garmin, or is it one and the same?

woody2000

I find no issue using a (non Garmin) GPS computer and uploading the GPX file. Resolution is set to 1 second recording

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Oh jolly good, a wee group Strava rant. One of my workmates joined Strava and so are having ourselves a little friendly competition with our running. Where I was going long, they went faster over 1k and 1 mile. Riiight, I say to myself, I’m havin’ them! Went out and busted my lungs for a mile. Job done. Except although Strava says I went a mile, and ran at a pace faster than them, it’s not counting it as my fastest mile in my profile where we compare each others bests. Eh? Do I need to run a mile and then a wee bit more for it to count as being a mile? Even though it said that’s you run a mile? Silly.

Other than that, I’m quite happy with the way it encourages me to think about being more competitive.

wwaswas

One of my workmates joined Strava

and one of mine – he’s been riding the fire road beside some of the more popular Strava segment singletrack and getting top 10 places. I, meanwhile, who stick to the actual singletrack am languishing in position 75 out of 258 or something 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did 105 miles yesterday, slogged my arse off the last 10 miles to get it up to 17mph average on my Garmin. Strava recorded it as 16.9.

It once told me I’d done 99.8 miles 🙁

If it’s on the road then you can use SNAP (google it) to corret the gpx so it follows the road exacly.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I was gutted when I got a 5m 59s mile while out for a run and Strava didn’t log it as my fastest. Took me a while to work out that there was a slight element of downhill involved so it was void for Strava record purposes. 😡

ndthornton
    Free Member

Strava is a very clever App (coming from a software Engineer) and I think its a lot of fun. But like any other GPS tracker it wont work properly if the signal isnt perfect- and even if it is the accuracy will never be great. Garbage in = Garbage out. The fact that Strava rejects segments with dodgy sensor data is a good thing.

Give strava a break – If you want perfect timing enter a race.

antares
    Free Member

Email them if it doesn’t record a segment you’ve ridden and they will usually match it for you.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I wonder if maybe its more likely related to dodgy mobile GPS signal or crappy software. I found that some iphones 3, 3G, and 4 struggle to find and keep a signal on occasions and yet the Samsung S3, Nokia Lumia and LG Google 4 I have also used never had issues ??

antares
    Free Member

I use a Garmin 800 and it never used to miss segments out, that I know of anyway, but recently I’ve noticed it missing at least one every ride

gears_suck
    Free Member

I don’t loose sleep over missing segments. Enjoy the good and roll with the not so good. As previously stated. It’s a free app, unless you upgrade, and for what it is you really can’t grumble.
    You can’t take it all for granted anyway because there always going to be to large a margin of error and cheaters to contend with. Like the chap who holds a KOM on a road climb segment where the next slowest rider is doing 17.5 miles an hour opposed to his 36. Hmm.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Try using SNAP, strava needs a polish. You can edit sections of a ride, useful if you’ve got a dodgy GPS signal.

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/snap/

br
    Free Member

IIRC Strava matches a segment only if it’s segement data and your GPS measurements are within a certain tolerance, even if your start and end points are the same as the segment, the intermediate points have to agree for it to count

Take a look at the fastest climbers at Glentress (café to Spooky), while the actual Strava route goes through Pennels, most of the fast times (recorded) are using the fire-road. And mine too… Maybe it follows ‘enough’ of the route.

chiefgrooveguru

and one of mine – he’s been riding the fire road beside some of the more popular Strava segment singletrack and getting top 10 places. I, meanwhile, who stick to the actual singletrack am languishing in position 75 out of 258 or something

There’s a whole host of segments like that around here! If it wasn’t for the fireroad times (and my less than optimal fitness, skill, bravery, bicycle) I’d have a ton of KOMs… 😉

I’ve started creating duplicate segments where the original segment has silly start and/or end points or has obviously been marked with an inaccurate GPS, with the innovative names “segment X (GPS corrected)”. If I’m going to fail to be fast, I’d at least like to authentically fail!

butcher

I’ve been getting this lately too. It did it tonight in fact. Slightly annoying when I use some of those segments to measure progress and give myself a bit of a kick up the butt.

Next time though. Next time. 14th Place will be mine! 😀

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well I ended up using snap, which meant strava recognised the segment, but had me 5 seconds slower than my mate, who I started behind and finished infront of! So clearly not a complete fix.

Still, 2nd place is better than nothing 🙂

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Strava has its quirks – you can be slower than your mate, but with a higher average speed, depending on the start/finish points logged by your GPS within the segment… the segment may be longer or shorter for different riders depending on the quality of their track and the sampling rate of their GPS… have a read

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Another Strava question’ is closed to new replies.