Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another SS question chain line Q.
  • MADB
    Free Member

I have just put a 32t FSA ring on out side of my crank in preparation to make my first SS bike, that look great very tide, just looking down what will be the chain line it looks like the rear sprocket needs to be as far to right on the free hub as possible, right next to the lock ring. Is this OK or is there some reason why the sprocket needs to be in the middle of the free hub?

Cheers Brian.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 try the front ring on the inside of the crank mounts

qwerty
    Free Member

correct chainline and the stealthy properties it exudes is an obstacle along the holygrail of single speeding, along with magic ratios, however you probably hardly ever have correct chain line on your geared bike and its never bothered you

PS: throw your razor away

MADB
    Free Member

Qwerty :
    That’s sort of what I thought but wanted to check, chainring don’t want to fit in the middle its a cheep DH thing.

and I’ve had a full healthy beard for about 2/3 years now, so it seems only right I treat it to a SS bike.

speaker2animals

What type of crank/BB are you using? If you are using a square taper you could maybe buy a narrower one to pull the chainline closer to the cycles centreline. To be fair though when riding geared we happily plug away in the highest gear/smallest sprocket without any deleterious effects so maybe it’ll be fine.

MADB
    Free Member

Its truvativ GPX BB (external thing)and truvativ fireX crank, so no room to move thing about or change size.

thepurist

Dunno about Truvativ but some shimano cranks have tabs on the spiders that stop other chainrings fitting in the middle position – just take a file to the spider if that’s the prob.

wwaswas

running the cog on the outside of the freehub isn’t a problem.

I did move the spacer on my shimano HT2 BB to the non-drive side side at the same time to pull chainline towards middle of bike as well.

chainring looks so much nicer outside the tabs 🙂

Del

ah. well you’ll be binning the GXP soon enough, so when you have some shimano on there it’ll be just dandy. 😀
    ( sorry, just hate truvativ crank/bbs )

epicyclo

113mm BB with a ring on inside position of a generic crank will give you approx 48mm chainline.

Measure fron the centreline of your rear hub and see where 48mm will put the rear cog.

(113mm BB with a Middleburn Uno gives you 50mm chainline.)

If your BB is 118mm symmetrical then the chainline will be 2.5mm further out.

MADB
    Free Member

cheers all, sounds like i should be ok without to much messing about, just need to find some cheep parts now. I have post in the wanted forum for a ss kit, 29er front wheel and a lock ring tool.

Brian.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another SS question chain line Q.’ is closed to new replies.