Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Another SS question
  • dannybee
    Free Member

Set up is Single speed with a on-one kit to take either size chain and standard deore front ring 9 speed chain.

First ride in the peaks and all was going well till climbing technical stuff (odd skip) then as soon as it got slightly muddy it was constantly skipping. Here is the bit i am wondering about i left the 3 rings on the crank (being lazy/short of time)and i am 99% sure the chain was trying to jump of the middle ring onto the top ring i know the chain is ramped? but is there something on the top ring to encourage the chain up there? If so was that why it was skipping or was it stopping the chain falling off?

Cheers for any help

jezandu
    Free Member

How straight have you got your Chainline? How worn are the teeth on the chainring? If these are fine them I’m out of ideas!

dannybee
    Free Member

Chain line looks straight by eye, teeth are fine too 😕

qwerty
    Free Member

Skipping Gremlins, whooda thunkitt.

muckytee
    Free Member

i left the 3 rings on the crank

That’s the problem, get a chain ring that has nice tall teeth and no shifting ramps.

jambon
    Free Member

A nice Surly Stainless Steel Ring would probably cure that.

stanleigh
    Free Member

The 9sp ring won’t last long if your out & climbing regularly , it’s not suited to single speeding both in tooth pitch & material.

Can I suggest removing the surplus chain rings when you get the chance.

Although the chainline appears straight on the stationary , once you start putting single speed stand up torque through the chain stays, there’s a surprising amount of flex , upsetting chain alignment.

As you are using a chain ring designed for a derailleur set , the chain will catch the ‘ramps’as it pulls towards the outer chain ring under tension.

When you get chance , I highly recommend a stainless chain ring ( ss specific – 3/32th), the on one is very good , & definitely a KMC Z610 HX 3/32th chain.

Not expensive & bullet proof .

A SS chain is the most important component on that bike , you can get proper hurt if it fails.

thepodge
    Free Member

On my alfine, my SS & my fixie I’m running ramped chainrings & multi speed chains.

Never had a problem

Removing the outer ring would probably help you

dannybee
    Free Member

Thanks for all the reply’s

I will remove the outer chain ring to see if that helps out of curiosity as if i am understanding you correctly 😳 the flex in the drivetrain will throw the chain line out causing the chain to catch on the ramps on the outer chainwheel.

I’m taking all advice on board just trying to get a understanding of the problem too 🙂

Keef
    Free Member

deore ring,and 9spd chain are the problem.get a SS chain ring,and a SS chain.
    see Charles…
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As per my advice the other week when you asked – SS specific chainring is worth it.

dannybee
    Free Member

I will get the single speed specific stuff when i get paid, Just frustrating i used the same setup on my old GT (Bar a 8 speed chain) and it worked great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Another SS question’ is closed to new replies.