• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mena12-spam.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • another sparky question, old doorbell
  • DT78
    Free Member

turns out the old doorbell has a live mains connection. what’s the easiest way of decommissioning this?

obviously the best way is to rip up floorboards dig the wire out of the wall to disconnect at source however this is going to be a lot of disruption.

Any other ideas? tempted to dig out a big enough stretch I can wire to a junction box and pop in the ceiling void.

it’s about a foot below ceiling level next to the front door.

tjagain

what you suggest is probably what I would do.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just connect it. That’ll learn the cold callers.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Was it really switching 240v at a bell push?

CAn you work out which circuit it’s connected to by switching them off one at a time? It’s probably spurred off the lighting which might make it easier to find the other end.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think I’d try and find the other end first. Likely to be into a ceiling rose or at the consumer unit

antigee

It’s probably spurred off the lighting which might make it easier to find the other end.

must be 30 years ago but I remember my mum’s house having one that died and as suggested above was spurred off a ceiling rose

edit

Was it really switching 240v at a bell push?

No I recall the bell box had a transformer in it and guess it was 12v or so at the bell push

rmacattack
    Free Member

I’m a sparkie and here’s my opinion. Buy a wireless kit with a buzzer and a chime. Far less heartache

midlifecrashes

I had a redundant transformer still wired up for years after we switched to a battery bell box. It decided to go on fire one day and filled the cellar with smoke, ancient 1940s bakelite and varnish thing. Luckily we were in the house or it might have got very burny downy. Trace the thing back properly and terminate in a junction box.

allthepies
    Free Member

If you can find where the mains connection is then disconnect that and leave everything in place. Replace bell push with a wireless job as mentioned above ^^^

DT78
    Free Member

its definitely not used no evodence of the actual bell. it says transformer like mentioned above and when I took the cover off there is some blackening hence want to remove it pretty sharpish.

have tried testing all the circuits yet to see where it’s spurred from. it ‘looks like a sizable wire hence thought it not likely to be lighting.

the joys of renovating 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Well turns out the alarm system was spurred off the doorbell?! And the doorbell had its own separate loop marked ‘lights’ on the consumer unit. And then the alarm was earthed in a light switch backbox.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘another sparky question, old doorbell’ is closed to new replies.