Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Another sign things have gone too far…
  • ichabod
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/muc-off-uberwax/rp-prod115116

£40 for a 70g pot of bike polish.. the mind boggles!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Better value than most of the stuff on the cosmetic counters.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just use car polish / wax and be done with it!

thepurist

Just don’t bother polishing and be done with it…

welshfarmer

Yep, just get out and ride it into the ground. If you worry about resale values or what it looks like outside the cafe then you are obviously not riding often/hard enough 😀

Can’t see any bike I ever own being worth more than scrap value after a few years. But then several thousand miles in all weathers on rocky, wet, muddy trails doesn’t do a lot for a frame. And a £40 tub of polish won’t help one jot either.

brakes
    Free Member

carnauba wax, also known as palm wax.
    does that mean it’s used by ****ers?

aero efficient shine

I thought is was established that a perfectly smooth finish wasn’t the most aerodynamic.
    In fact, you’d be better off hammering lots of little dents in your frame, like a golf ball.

bigblackshed

Or:

WAX

toys19
    Free Member

Too far? What does this mean?

rOcKeTdOg

Perfect for the shine not ride brigade

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve got smaller pots of car wax that cost a lot more than that.

Multiple times more in fact 🙂

Never wax my bike though 😯

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Can of Mr Sheen.

LoCo
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham, how will this affect the warranty on my frames? 😉

roverpig

Seems fair enough. If you want to polish your road bike so that everything gleams then I guess this is just the thing and as has been said, pots of top end car polish cost just as much, if not more.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I know we’re mountain bikers n’all but do people simply not bother cleaning/polishing their bikes?

Just seems part of the ritual to me, I like to make things look new after getting a crap covering!

brakes
    Free Member

do people simply not bother cleaning/polishing their bikes?

not really. the drivetrain and moving parts get some attention, and the mud gets brushed off when it’s dry. as long as it works.
    if I had a workshop/ garage/ bigger shed if might be different.

pondo

Cleaning, yes – polishing? The what, now?

warton
    Free Member

Spray of GT85. quick buff with a clean cloth = shiny, nice smell and water repellent.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

If you ‘polish’ your bike you have already gone too far and need a slap

toys19
    Free Member

I do a once a tyear full strip and polish with silicone wax, just cos it makes it easier to shrug off the dirt (for the first couple of washes anyway). I’m still using a 5litre container that I bought about 20 years a go from a motor factor..

mrmo
    Free Member

If I have spent a couple of grand on a bike, cleaning properly once in a while makes sense. quick clean after a ride and clean, polish, etc now and then.

Wouldn’t spend that much though, far cheaper options about.

roverpig

If you ‘polish’ your bike you have already gone too far and need a slap

This is an attitude I’ve never understood. Why do you care how somebody else chooses to spend their leisure time? Some people like classic cars, others motorbikes or traction engines or steam trains, or whatever. Some of them like to spend hours polishing these things and others like to do the same with their bikes. It’s not my cup of tea, but if it gives them pleasure what’s the problem? It’s not as though riding a bike round in circles to get muddy is a particularly rational way of spending your time either.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

and half of the above vehicles don’t travel more than 50 miles in a year.

The owners still spend countless hours working on them!

tinybits
    Free Member

I like a clean bike (they work better and you can see what need replacing before it goes snap) but I think polishing may be a bit too far, especially for a mountain bike that is going to get muddy.
    having said that, I watched a ride mate jump off his bike and carry it over a muddy puddle – getting his feet wet and muddy in the process.
    Still, each to there own.

cloudnine
    Free Member

People clean their bikes?

IHN

I knew a chap who cleaned the gravel he cleaned his bikes on.

teamslug
    Free Member

what ^warton said…GT85

ThePinkster

I clean mine but there’s no point in polishing them – not a lot of point on a matte paint finish.

richmtb

I must admit to being a bit of a cleaning tart when it comes to my car.

£40 on a pot of fancy wax for the car isn’t unreasonable. It honestly never occurred to me to wax my bike though. It would be a PITA to do for a start, to do it properly you would need to take half the components off.

If you are worries about protecting your “pride and joy”, then ‘copter tape the frame

RobHilton
    Free Member

If you are worries about protecting your “pride and joy”, then ‘copter tape the frame

Or don’t ride it. One of my friends has recently said he doesn’t want to join us on a Snowdon trip soon as he doesn’t want to damage his bike (in truth he’s a pussy and doesn’t like putting in any effort)

Same guy cleans his bike religiously, degreases chain after every use and goes over the frame with baby wipes (FFS!) once it’s all dried.

shine not ride brigade

I believe he’s a Brigadier General :mrgreen:

thepurist

£40 on a pot of fancy wax for the car isn’t unreasonable.

That, sir, is where our opinions differ!

neilthewheel

goes over the frame with baby wipes (FFS!) once it’s all dried.

😳

njee20
    Free Member

Baby wipes tend to smear IME. Mr Sheen is good!

Muc-Off did a polish called (IIRC) Miracle Shine. I got given a bottle to dry, must say it’s good. Right faff though, used it a couple of times. May give the new bike a going over, seems more worthwhile when things are still vaguely shiny.

dannyh
    Free Member

I think Rob Hilton might be trying to goad his mate into a Snowdon trip……….

mindmap3
    Free Member

That does seem a tad axcessive.

I tend to keep my bike pretty clean, but it does get ridden. I wouldn’t go that far to wax it though. But if people want to, that’s fine. It’s not up to me how they spend their time.

Cars are a different story, but my posh car wax has lasted almost three years and I’ve only used about two thirds of the pot.

njee20
    Free Member

On the back of this I went and dug out my ‘Miracle Shine’ polish, which surprise surprise contains carnauba wax! It’s a very different colour to when I got it – gone from Muc-Off pink to virtually white, but I must say its done a bloody good job on the bits of the bike I quickly did. Some small scratches on the seatpost from a spare tube and a dull patch on the lacquer have gone, and the paintwork feels a hell of a lot smoother than the bits I’ve not done.

Have to see if it cleans up any better.

Took about 10 minutes after cleaning.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I’ve always used Autoglym Super Resin Polish on my bikes, I never realised I was causing offence.

It helps prevent shit sticking and makes them easier to keep clean.

I’ve spent a considerable sum on bikes that I’d struggle to be able to afford replace, I’ll maintain them to whatever standard I see fit thanks.

STATO
    Free Member

You all realise Muc-off sponsor team Sky right? so its been made (or rebranded version of whatever Sky mechanics already used) to keep the team bikes looking nice, no surprise they push it out to that market.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I use this,

Goes a long way last for years, and the dirt falls off, just give it a run over once the bike is washed (every few months LOL)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/360732330314?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

joolsburger
    Free Member

this stuff is amazing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/120907648491?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Use it on the car, lasts at least 6 months between coats and the tub lasts years. Happily I own a mountain bike so I only clean the moving bits really, what’s the point it only gets covered in shite again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Another sign things have gone too far…’ is closed to new replies.