Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Another shocking driver kills 2 OAPS whilst on a mobile phone verdict..
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Hairdresser mows down 2 oaps whilst on her phone but is found innocent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-31444556

FFS. Must be a heartbreaking verdict for the family.

scaredypants

presumably the loudspeaker allowed her to claim she was using it hands-free which the tossers in authority have deemed appropriate to continue using despite evidence to the contrary

She’s also quite possibly created a precedent for every future selfish **** whose records show it to have been in use – ooh, no your honour, it was on speaker all along

Mandatory signal blockers at speeds above 10mph IMO

oh, and:

Prosecutor Lucy Crowther said she made “four or five” phone calls while driving and had been talking on the telephone for 18 minutes of the 20-minute journey.

all hands-free – remarkable skills

cloudnine
    Free Member

“Before I could get my mind to function something hit my windscreen and I slammed on my brakes.

Obviously her mind was on using the phone not driving. She even admitted her mind was not functioning or obviously concentrating on her phone not the important part of driving which involves not crashing or killing other road users. She didnt even brake until after hitting them.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I was driving and I remember seeing on my driver’s side the colour of something,” she told jurors.

“Before I could get my mind to function something hit my windscreen and I slammed on my brakes.

Using a phone while driving should result in a ban. texting or checking emails should be a longer ban. They’re easy to spot…

spooky_b329

It was a Jury so people like ourselves who found her innocent – not those ‘in authority’.

However, perhaps if it had been a ‘safer’ conviction of careless driving, it would have been unanimous guilty verdict. The dangerous charge was pursued by those in authority.

It can be very hard to make a dangerous driving charge stick, if its hard to prove a driver who was speeding or driving erratically was dangerous, how much chance have you got with mobile phone distraction 🙁

Another consideration is of those in the Jury, how many of them have at some point used their phone whilst driving? Perhaps difficult for them to give a guilty verdict for something they do themselves…though perhaps the horrific consequences in the case will cause them to change their habits?

scaredypants

It was a Jury so people like ourselves who found her innocent – not those ‘in authority’.

My point is that “those in authority” have deemed it legal for drivers to use hands-free phones, despite evidence showing that they are dangerously distracting

… and that any cock who kills while on the phone will be trying the “speaker” defence from now on, which is a travesty

Juries acquiting these arseholes on a regular basis is an indictment of a shit system, and we shouldn’t be shrugging that off as just the way it is, IMO

spooky_b329

Fair point scaredy, though if you can prove it was distracting the driver, hands free is still illegal.

scaredypants

you mean “if you can convince a jury”…

project
    Free Member

Network rail have banned the use of hand free mobile phones while driving

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2014/10/01-major-safety-concerns-highlighted-by.html

cloudnine
    Free Member

But she admitted her mind wasn’t functioning on driving… plus she didnt even brake before hitting them.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

She hit and killed two people when she was driving a car whilst wearing slippers and talking on her mobile phone. Her driving was clearly dangerous because she killed two people who she didn’t see and that bit kind of says that she is guilty. What kind of **** idiots do they pick for jury duty?

imnotverygood

I’m not sure juries are fit for purpose with these sort of cases. There is far too much car driving bias in the general public for the jury to be impartial.

Sandwich

Prosecution in not fit for purpose shocker. I haven’t seen the transcript but I expect that the lawyer didn’t press the handsfree bit well enough.
    Some clarification in the law would help with the lack of a bluetooth earpiece or kit mounted to the car that the telephone works through being sufficient to show due care and attention was lacking and dangerous driving is occurring.

tpbiker
    Free Member

i didnt realise you could use a phone on speaker? Also how did she dial the numbers?

Thats an appalling verdict to reach.

natrix
    Free Member

There was a PCSO in the news who described the local school run mums as being worse than a pack of feral animals when driving, sadly its a sign of our times. Drive whilst on the phone, park on double yellow lines, speed through residential areas, knock the odd cyclist off his bike – nobody cares……… 👿

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Another shocking driver kills 2 OAPS whilst on a mobile phone verdict..’ is closed to new replies.