Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Another Scotland move and more great success!
  • oli31
    Free Member

Inspired by Alexx thread thought i’d share the good news. Wife and I have both secured good jobs in North East so will be moving from Stroud, Glos to Aberlour in August! Purchase of the obligatory 4×4 and photo’s of the wood store to follow but for now just weeeeheeee!!!!

swavis

I am an Aberlour resident. Good choice 😉

Any Q’s fire away.

scotroutes

Welcome to Speyside. The riding is crap but the local whisky and beer make up for it.

oli31
    Free Member

Ah nice cheers Swavis! yep, mid way between Grantown where wife works and Huntly where my job is, nice schools, esy access to rivers, coast, hills – whats not to like!

What’s the Glenfiddich road to Huntly like? planning to cycle twice a week doable depending on weather? death on a stick?

Also do you know of any 3 / 4 bed houses available to rent short term?

oli31
    Free Member

Welcome to Speyside

cheers Scotroutes 🙂

The riding is crap

🙁 by Scottish standards?

Ridden Ben Aigen and Fochabers which I thought were ok?

swavis

Finding somewhere to rent is a bit of a nightmare round here atm. My sis was recently looking for somewhere before their new build was completed and said there wasn’t much.
    I can ask her if she knows of anything though.

Hope you like whisky. Food in the Mash Tun is good too.

The road to Huntly is good in OK weather, can be a bit of a pig in the snow, it’s a big old climb. You’ll be wanting winter tyres.

swavis

He’s pulling your leg 😉

oli31
    Free Member

Yeah heard there’s a bit of a shortage of rentals, we’ve found a nice place in Carron but in laws popped past today and weren’t overly impressed. Possible place up by the campsite but no garden and street view suggests it might be a bit quiet! If your sis knows of anything family and dog friendly that’d be great!

Cheers for the beta about commute, sound doable which is a relief

He’s pulling your leg – phew!

swavis

We have friends in Carron, it is indeed very quiet, although a nice enough wee place.
    Archiestown is worth a look too as is Craigellachie.

I’ll ask around and email if I hear of anything.

oli31
    Free Member

Thanks swavis that’s great!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well done. We moved to Scotlandshire 7 years ago and never lookd back. Don’t need a 4×4 though.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I am an Aberlour resident. Good choice

I’m not, but been there a couple of times and agree.

Food in the Mash Tun is good too

yep. Also Craigellachie Hotel, a bit pricier but still excellent and the most awesome range of whiskies you’re ever likely to see

The riding is crap

Can’t comment on that but canoe trips down the Spey are grand. That said you’re about 30 miles from Aviemore, plenty decent trails round the Cairngorms

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Another Scotland move and more great success!’ is closed to new replies.