Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Another Scotland devo chat – weather forecasts
  • neilforrow

Will the met still look after Scottish weather forecasts – what I mean is: will I see the Scottish weather included with the overall forecast after the 10 o’clock news?

Or has no one thought this far?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, you won’t, same reason you don’t get ROI forecasts.

OTOH, Wales will gain the highest point in the UK.

LEJOG will be replaced to Land’s end to a layby on the A1 just outside Berwick

The UK will get much worse at tennis.

wwaswas

I’m looking forward to warmer weather in the summer as the average temperatures reported increase without Scotland.

onewheelgood

All the BBC transmitters in Scotland will be turned off and a giant Faraday Cage built around Scotland to prevent them listening in on the BBC without paying.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think many Scots will get BBC from English transmitters, so the Faraday cage might not be necessary.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Don’t forget the MET Office sells the forecasts. I guess they’ll sell them to the Scotch, just might cost them more, depending on the grout / £ exchange rate

Rockape63
    Free Member

and….what about all the Scotch people on TV in whats left of the UK, there’s mullions of them? Do they all get the sack?

eddie11
    Free Member

You are aware scotland have their own news and weather already aren’t you?

To be honest the current after news forecast is useless for anywhere north of the wash because of the extreme persective they use.

swavis

If you’re referring to the STV coverage this alone is reason to vote NO! 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

It could just be replaced with:

Scotchland:
    Monday – Rain
    Tuesday – Rain & Wind
    Wednesday – Wind & Rain
    Thursday – Wind
    Friday – Cold Wind and Rain
    Saturday – Cold Rain & Wind
    Sunday – Cold

If the Scots went home from England I think the Happiness ratio in England would go up substantially, so too the economy what with them being both Dour and TightWads.
    😉

binners

Isn’t Scottish weather just the polar opposite of this…..

Northwind

True fact- it rains less in Edinburgh than in London

(also true fact- it rains like **** pretty much everywhere else in Scotland)

wwaswas

it rains less in Edinburgh than in London

less often or less in terms of volume/sq m over a year?

bikebouy
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    it rains less in Edinburgh than in London

less often or less in terms of volume/sq m over a year on TJ’s head?

FIFY

Speshpaul

And we get to blame Rolf HARRIS and JIMMY savile on the scots.

bencooper
    Free Member

To be honest the current after news forecast is useless for anywhere north of the wash because of the extreme persective they use.

It’s funny, you’d think that such things don’t have any effect, but they do – the real map of Scotland doesn’t look quite right to me because of decades of weather maps with skewed perspective.

theotherjonv

Blimey. i never realised that!

So you’re telling me too that these railway lines aren’t closer together at the far end?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

QWe already have a weather service, thanks

aracer
    Free Member

So you’re telling me too that these railway lines aren’t closer together at the far end?

We need some cows to help

peterfile
    Free Member

Blimey. i never realised that!

Why would you need to, or indeed want to show the UK from that perspective for the purposes of the weather though?

Oh wait….

Speshpaul

“So you’re telling me too that these railway lines aren’t closer together at the far end?”

No they are further apart the closer you get to them

lemonysam
    Free Member

Why would you need to, or indeed want to show the UK from that perspective though?

Oh wait

Well, the whole 3D thing they do wouldn’t work from directly overhead.

molgrips
    Free Member

the real map of Scotland doesn’t look quite right to me because of decades of weather maps with skewed perspective.

Some projections make Scotland look much bigger anyway – there is actually no ‘real’ map.

And for all those complainig about lack of UK media coverage:

neilforrow

Yep, I am vaguely aware of this, but thanks for pointing it out. Wonders will never cease. Did you know, I also get regional based weather just after the national weather. Amazing.

True fact- it rains less in Edinburgh than in London

Well I never – and wunderground confirmed it too!

wwaswas

Given that about 3 people live north of Edinburgh the current map makes sense in terms of the potential audience for the forecast.

bencooper
    Free Member

Given that about 3 people live north of Edinburgh the current map makes sense in terms of the potential audience for the forecast.

But we have all the interesting outdoors where it’s important to know about the weather 😉

theotherjonv

In seriousness; I’ve seen ‘fly through’ weather forecasts where you travel up and down the country to hone in on weather in different regions. Not usually as part of the 20 second end of the news headlines forecasts, but there are longer weather bulletins too. Often Scotland gets a whole screen to itself!!

Stoner
    Free Member

What McGrips said ^

Just because the Mercator projection gives scotland a fat head, doesnt mean it’s an accurate representation of surface area ratios. It’s just one of many.
    A

I think the population projection is far more accurate 🙂

theotherjonv

UK, redrawn to look like a fat grasshopper taking a dump.

Great.

kcal

And I for one have no intention of staying anywhere else thanks! I just stick my head out the back door anyway..

slowoldman

If the Scots went home from England I think the Happiness ratio in England would go up substantially, so too the economy what with them being both Dour and TightWads.

Yorkshire will fill in for them.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Another Scotland devo chat – weather forecasts’ is closed to new replies.