Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Another sad story,let down by the system.
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2010/03/24/dying-child-made-to-wait-in-corridor-by-teacher/

How many more kids will have to die,due to serious negligence by those paid to look after them,a 999 call costs nothing.

Also why has it taken so long for the staff responsible to be suspended,they knew they had failed in their duty from the day the young lad died,as did the management of the education authority.

Sincere condolances to the young lads family and freinds,who have had to live with this for so long.

johnners
    Free Member

A tragic but isolated instance, I can't see how it's symptomatic or indicative of any wider problem. Exactly what point are you trying to make?

BigDummy
    Free Member

a 999 call costs nothing

This is correct, but only if you use a definition of "cost" which deliberately excludes all the actual cost elements. 😉

Johnners +1.

project
    Free Member

By phoning 999 you access emergency help,by trained staff,not staff who think a meeting is more important than a childs illness.

As for the cost bit, a neighbours appartment caught fire afew years ago,another neighbour knocked my door to tell me the appartment was on fire,when i said have you rang the Fire Brigade she said no, just incase they charge me for coming out, and there seem to be a lot of peole who think the same.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I think those people are more commonly known as idiots.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Can't believe what I am hearing are people really this naive & stupid FFS, if a child is unwell and struggling for breath you call 999 without question, these Teachers deserve all they get, bloody incompetent idiots.

Hope they get replaced with good teachers with a sense of morals and duty of care.

meehaja
    Free Member

I have one simple rule that I share with all people responsible for looking after children. No paramedic will ever resent being called to a child who turns out to be fine. I would rather say find a child with over protective parents and a little cough any time than a child with a severe chest infection that the parents assumed would go away. A tragic story, and a waste of a young life, sadly, asthma is so common people forget that it is a killer.

kevonakona
    Free Member

My last DofE exped session ends with:

Look after each other, talk to each other and if in doubt do something.

A bit trite but…….

brakes
    Free Member

very sad, but the fault of a bad/ stupid teacher
    it's hardly endemic

IanMunro
    Free Member

Johnners +2.

stumpyjon

it's hardly endemic

Have you guys never come across the safety pyramid concept. In H & S terms for every death there will be X serious accidents, Y minor accidents and Z near misses where the bear misses represent the base of the pyramid. The point being an actual death is pretty rare, less rare will be kids suffering serious injury or illness because of teacher neglect, even more will suffer some form of harm and a relatively significant number will be lucky and get away with it despite a teacher taking no action.

Isolated outcome, yes, isolated example of teacher behaviour, very unlikely. Those teachers involved should prosecuted, they were in a position of responsibility and failed to act reasonably, result dead kid. Other teachers should consider themselves lucky it wasn't them and look at their own behaviour.

Of course there will also be many, many responsible teachers out there who this wouldn't have happened to but based on the pyramid principle there will be many others it could've happened to.

BigDummy
    Free Member

So people are f*cking up all the time, but it usually has no consequences? I should obviously feel more outrage than I do about this. 🙂

Presumably similar applies to parental neglect and stupidity?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How many more kids will have to die……

You obviously feel very strongly about this project, so explain how many kids have died of asthma attacks in schools in recent years. Or maybe you could just give the total number of children who have died at school ?

Other teachers should consider themselves lucky it wasn't them and look at their own behaviour.

Lucky about what ? That it wasn't them that was guilty of negligence ? What a ridiculous comment.

Bing
    Free Member

Johnners +3.

Edukator
    Free Member

Uncaring carers, paedophile priests, stupid teachers, bent coppers, murderous doctors and nurses; how many professions don't have the odd black sheep? You know how much first aid training there is in a PGCE? None.

bruneep

Tragic case.

re calling 999, I would rather turn out to 10 false alarms than 1 fire.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm surprised there isn't a PGCE in First Aid…seems to be one in every other subject. **** uncaring irresponsible feckless teachers. This country is going to the dogs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

WE do not know the whole story here. Certainly condemning all teachers and "the system" is simply wrong.

Its a tragedy but without knowing the whole story who are we to judge?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, no, no, it's not wrong. Condemn. Condemn.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

who are we to judge?

Well actually it was the inquest jury which did the judging TJ.

An inquest jury ruled that Sam died of "died of natural causes, significantly contributed to by neglect, both individually and on a systemic level".

There is little doubt that this is a tragic case which could, and should have, been avoided.

What is in doubt for me, is that this is a reoccurring problem.

I also doubt stumpyjon's "safety pyramid concept" which presumably suggests that kids are almost dying in schools on a regular basis.

ex-pat
    Free Member

I quite liked the pyramid concept. But it's about perspective I think.
    After all, waiting to cross the road this morning there was any number of near misses, but I was on the pavement and the cars were on the road.

And thinking about it, if we live with a 'what might have happened' approach then we'd never get anything done. That would be the base of the pyramid wouldn't it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough – I hadn't seen that Ernie.

Mark

A tragic case. A teacher really REALLY cocked up and should and will probably lose her job. Quite right too..
    But wait! She made a mistake and a child died! That's terrible! She should be sacked! Then prosecuted! A child died! She must hang for that! But wait! (again) 5 have been suspended.They must surely all be teachers too.. They should all be sa..prosec….hanged! All of them! ALL of them! ALL TEACHERS! They are monsters! Our children are not safe! I'd be happy to see the school burn for this! With all those monsters inside! Who's with me? WHO'S WITH ME? You are either with me or against me! In which case get in the f…..ing school with the rest of those monsters!

Where's my pitchfork godammit!

Grimy
    Free Member

Just to fan the fire a little, did you read the article in the paper today about the teachers who left a child stuck up a tree for over half an hour because of health and saftey rules and then called the police on the good samaritan who helped the little bugger down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260253/Teachers-leave-boy-5-tree-health-safety.html

bruneep

Where's my pitchfork godammit!

Yours is the one on the left

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Grimy,

It said the kid was 20 ft up a tree. Stirikes me that maybe he was being a bit naughty. I'd have left him there and called the parents.

Grimy
    Free Member

I read it as 6ft up a 20ft tree, and yes I would be tempted to leave the little bugger up there too! lol, but thats for parents to decide not a teacher charged with their well being. I certainly wouldnt call the police on the person who helped them down either unless I was a perticually spitefull c**t.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Well, hopefully he's been excluded now, so it shouldn't happen again for a few days. That will give his parents an opportunity to try and sort his behaviour out while they are off work looking after him, while the teachers will be able to get on with their actual jobs of teaching the kids who aren't disruptive.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Having read/heard a bit more on this the perents of the boy were most disapointed by the school not changing any of there policies/procedures for 2 years following his death.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Owen, I only know what I've heard via the normal news services but I can think of one possible interpretation of "the school not changing any policies" which is that there was nothing wrong with the policy, but that the policy wasn't followed.

The trouble is that in so many of these kinds of stories, the media would rather print a story about the whole system in crisis than one about a teacher making an error, because it sounds more dramatic.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What's the current H&S thoughts on Rugby at school? A few broken necks seemed to be just considered general attrition when I went.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Everyone f***s up every day, its just that sometimes you f*** up a little bit more than usual.

One teacher having a bad day doesnt mean the department/school/education system/country is full of child murderers?

I'd be fairly confident saying that the teacher is more cut up than most about this whole thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I really wouldn't trust the mail on stories like that at all. they have been caught out before will printing stories people have fabricated or totally distorting them

Telegraph take on boy in tree story

Rather different

Wiltshire council said the boy had climbed down on his own accord and was on the path when Miss Barrett approached him. It said its policy was not to intervene when children ventured into trees for fear of distracting them and causing a fall.

A spokesman said: “If he (the boy) or any other child was in any danger, or was unable to get down from the tree, he would have been assisted either by a teacher or the fire brigade, depending on the circumstances.

“The only danger as far as the school was concerned was that a stranger came onto the premises and talked to the child, who was being observed.”

A council statement added: “The safety of our pupils is our priority and we would like to make it clear that this child was being observed at all times during this very short incident.

“Like other schools whose premises include wooded areas, our policy when a child climbs a tree, is for staff to observe the situation from a distance so the child does not get distracted and fall.

“This also ensures that children are not ‘rewarded’ with attention for inappropriate behaviour.”

The council said the child’s mother was “in agreement with and fully supportive of our actions both prior to the incident and since.”

It added: "To protect children, we cannot assume that people who enter the school grounds without permission have innocent intentions and must act accordingly.”

project
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    A tragic but isolated instance, I can't see how it's symptomatic or indicative of any wider problem. Exactly what point are you trying to make?

Have you forgot Shipman, all the social workers who failed,and all the kids who where killed, staffordshire general hospital, stoke mandervile hospital,and many more, some covered up quite well,one thing is prevelant in all the cases people died, and the ones that where paid to stop them dieing failed.

A few weeks ago there was the case of a head teacher taking the kids on the roof of his school and one of the kids fell through a skylight and was killed, the head was prosecuted and awaits sentance.

Why has it taken so long to suspend the staff, who failed,the parents must be gutted the system let them down.

Mark, you seem to be loosing the plot………….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So Shipman who deliberately killed many old people is the same system as a teacher who made a serious mistake that led to a kids death.

You do live in a weird world project. It must be very bleak

project
    Free Member

True shipman killed his customers, but people who realised what was happenening kept quiet,and made serious mistakes until brought to the attention of the authorities by a relative.

br
    Free Member

Yet more idiots promoted beyond their ability – that would be the idiot that wrote the 'rules' and the idiots that follow them.

I blame it on the smoking of dope in Universities.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Some harsh views on here. Sometimes I can't beleive how cruel people can be with their comments. My thoughts are with the family who have lost a young son and I also feel desperately sorry for the Teachers at the school. Wheres compassion these days people? Nobody wanted this to happen. It could of been avoided but unfortunately it was a tragic accident. Very sad.

brack
    Free Member

Sorry Bruneep…re calling 999, I would rather turn out to 10 false alarms than 1 fire.

Is that the number of callouts you get in a year ? 😉

johnners
    Free Member

Have you forgot Shipman, all the social workers who failed,and all the kids who where killed, staffordshire general hospital, stoke mandervile hospital,and many more, some covered up quite well,one thing is prevelant in all the cases people died, and the ones that where paid to stop them dieing failed.

You've cast your net wide there, and I don't see what any of those has to do with the case of the boy with asthma.

You seem to be implying some sort of conspiracy or cover-up, but incidents like the neglect of Sam are rare, and so make the news, whereas (for example) 130 or so children are killed by cars in a year and there are few high profile stories about it. Will you post a link every time you chance upon one of them?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Another sad story,let down by the system.’ is closed to new replies.