Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Another router question…
  • cb

After upgrading to a Netgear after advice on here I’ve hit a bit of a snag. We have used the ‘normal’ and 5g options and both worked well around the house for a while.

However, I’ve had numerous issues recently trying to wirelessly connect to the ‘normal’ option. 5g seems OK.

Any reason why this would be the case or is the router playing up? I guess I’m asking if anything typically interferes with the ‘normal’ option? My laptop just refuses to find it even though it still comes up on the list when clicking wifi…

Cougar

Other routers using the same channel?

cb

within the house or neighbours do you mean? no others in the house although we do have a wifi enabled printer – could that be causing issues?

fossy

You could re-name the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels differently if it’s causing issues with older devices. The older devices would just be set to connect to the 2.4ghz channel

cb

fossy – they are named differently and I see both when searching for wifi options. Laptop has connected to both previously. Now just the 2.4 giving trouble.

fossy

Neighbours on the same channel then ? You can get something like ‘WIFI analyser’ for your Apple/Android (free app on android) and it will tell you the channels being broadcast locally.

cb

If that was the case wouldn’t everybody have the same issues? If there are only 2 channel options…? Most houses have routers now.

CraigW
    Free Member

2.4GHz wifi includes 13 channels. But they do overlap a bit. ie channels 1 and 3 can interfere with each other. So really there is only 4 channels without any overlap.

5GHz can give a lot more channels, without overlapping. So usually less problems with interference. But probably shorter range, it doesn’t go through walls very well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Another router question…’ is closed to new replies.