Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Another remake – Logans Run
  • druidh
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14991205

But will they also re-do that plot-essential strip by Jenny Agutter?

Rorschach
    Free Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

clubber
    Free Member

why not? with the caveat of so long as it’s good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Underhill
    Free Member

As long as they don’t try & resurrect the tv show. My fond rose-tinted memories were cruelly shattered when I recently revisited it. Atrocious.

Love the film though, hope they do it justice.

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘Good remake’=Oxymoron.
    Case for the prosecution
    Italian Job.
    Tron.
    Planet of the Apes.
    Taking of Pelham 123.
    The Longest Yard.
    Day of the Jackal.
    Lady Killers.
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    Alfie.
    Get Carter.
    Errrr all the others.

john_drummer
    Free Member

case for the defence

The Wizard Of Oz
    Scarface
    A Fistful Of Dollars
    The Magnificent Seven

ok I’m not sure about #1…

Rorschach
    Free Member

or 4!!!!!! Kurosawa san would be most displeased…..
    Ohhh another
    Solaris (in its defence it is o.k)

CaptJon
    Free Member

Wasn’t The Island essentially a remake of Logan’s Run?

Drac

Tron.

There was a remake?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Don’t fret…you ain’t missed much (apart from Olivia Wilde….mmmmm).

samuri
    Free Member

oooh hello.

Proper woman shape.

samuri
    Free Member

Wasn’t The Island essentially a remake of Logan’s Run?

Not unless I missed part of one of them.
    The island was about a colony of clones bred to provide spare body parts for rich people…..

Drac

Don’t fret…you ain’t missed much (apart from Olivia Wilde….mmmmm).

I seen than one but that wasn’t a remake.

And yes now I see why there’s some many people into IT if this is what programmes evolve to.

Cougar

‘Good remake’=Oxymoron.

The Fly.
    The Thing.
    Ocean’s 11.
    Scarface.
    Dawn of the Dead.

… off the top of my head.

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah The Fly was pretty good

and wasn’t “Forbidden Planet” a remake of “The Tempest”? 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think why not remake logans run? but it must be very sexy with lots of pointless nudity. Sexy sci fi is what we need.

CountZero

There are some films deserve to be remade, as the original was often a crappy version of a good original story.
    Will Smith’s I Am Legend is much better than the Chuck Heston Omega Man, for example, and Logan’s Run was pretty cheesy; a re-make should be much darker. One film I desperately want to see remade is Damnation Alley. The book, by Roger Zelazney, is one of my all time favourites, in fact most of his books are, but the film sucked. Zelazney had all references to himself removed he was so disgusted with it. The studios couldn’t cope with a Hells Angel for a hero, so changed him to a clean-cut American ex-military type. And the effects were also crap. It would look amazing now.

samuri
    Free Member

Gone in 60 seconds was pretty awful as a re-make but you know what? I kinda liked it. But then I am rather a big fan of Angelina.

Underhill
    Free Member

I Am Legend was so much not better than Omega Man

racefaceec90

oh ffs!! 😡

rOcKeTdOg

Is the guy at the back of samuri’s curvy woman pic taking a leak in the potted plants?

billybob
    Free Member

This article suggests remakes aren’t always a bad idea.

However if a movie is already regarded as a classic then there is no point in remaking – abit like music.

z1ppy

Will Smith’s I Am Legend & Chuck Heston Omega Man, both suck compared to the original book.
    The Smith one was at least entertaining until they turned it into a god squad movie, both totally lost the point of the book which is embodied in the title IMHO.

I’d agree with the OP on this, though there are good remakes out there, can they not find a new stories to film instead or regurgitating movies from my childhood? It’s bad enough they just keep stealing decent foreign movies and feel the need to remake them a year after they’ve been release (been going on forever I know, but even so).

DezB
    Free Member

if a movie is already regarded as a classic then there is no point in remaking

This!
    Although it doesn’t even have to be a “classic” – just not in need of a remake (The Hitcher, The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13 etc.. )

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why don’t they remake Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHCwzIgEs8 or The Day The Earth Caught Fire? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rHz7ENhtY

rOcKeTdOg

Zippy I am legend book+1

Cougar

TBH, you can say that of most films-of-books.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Anyone who has watched both versions of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” will know that remakes of even the most crappy B movies just don’t work.

z1ppy

Cougar yes obviously, but at least some films try to follow the original story, not just completely pervert it… as in the I am legend’s case, fricken god squad ending.

Bigyinn, fair point…

Drac

The Thing.

And now it’s getting a prequel.

kimbers

DezB did you just imply the Thing is not a classic!!!!!!! that is heresey

and i prefer Omega Man to I am legend

z1ppy

Indeedy Kimbers (re. the classic comment), though kind of muddying the water, “The thing” is a remake of “The Thing from Another World”.. so not all remakes are bad, proving Cougar’s point.

Cougar

“The thing” is a remake of “The Thing from Another World”.

That’s what I was referring to, incidentally – I wasn’t talking about the forthcoming remake / prequel.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Crikey, I’d watch the shipping forecast if it had Christina Hendricks in it.

Logan’s Run would be a pointless remake, other than the clunky special effects, the story is sound. It’s difficult to think of anything that the 2010s could bring to the script that the 1970s couldn’t.

Oh snd the DVD makes a fantastic 30th birthday gift.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But will they also re-do that plot-essential strip by Jenny Agutter?

Isaw it over Christmas I think – they can’t have realised there was boobage as it was in the middle of the day and they showed that scene.

As a lifelong (think Bobby from Railway Children when I was an 8 yr old) fan, I was quite pleased.

🙂

Cougar

I’d watch the shipping forecast if it had Christina Hendricks in it.

Which reminds me, it must be time for a Firefly rewatch.

Lifer
    Free Member

and i prefer Omega Man to I am legend

+1 daddio

It’s difficult to think of anything that the 2010s could bring to the script that the 1970s couldn’t.

Certainly not going to have anyone as good as Michael York in it!

jimification
    Free Member

I’m excited to hear that but I just know that any Logan’s Run remake will be a pile of shit. When the original was made, they knew the effects and sets couldn’t hold up to close scrutiny – they form a (reasonably effective) backdrop and the actors / plot / dialogue hold centre stage, which is as it should be.

The remake will inevitably be big budget, which means they’ll feel obliged to add a bunch of overdone CG scenes, action sequences and pacing climaxes in an effort to attract the masses and recoup investors money, the storyline will go to pot and the acting will play second fiddle to the tech and “forced” set pieces.

The central moral issue of the film (A utopian society with the flaw that everyone is “terminated” at age 30…Logan’s job of terminating “runners”…Logan about to turn 30…the lifecalcs…the conspiracy of “carousel” etc.) could make a really good film. I think it is possible to make a great remake of it (much better than the original, in fact) I just don’t believe for a second that they won’t screw it up!

fisha
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have called Tron Legacy a remake … I think if you watch the 2 of them, they do compliment each other … its definitely a sequel, not a remake.

Agreed with a lot of new movies simply falling into relying on CGI for effect, rather than story telling.

Although, I would argue that the last 2 batman films have been considerably better than their immediate predecessors.

Cougar

its definitely a sequel, not a remake.

It’s not quite one or the other; it’s a remake in sequel trousers.

See also, Evil Dead II, Escape From LA.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Another remake – Logans Run’ is closed to new replies.