Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Another reason NOT to use Strava….
  • BillOddie
    philtricklebank

Nope, just a reason to NOT use Strava without setting the privacy settings up properly

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I thought the crux was that, if you want to share routes, the privacy settings were not tight or flexible enough to make it “safe”.

mudshark
    Free Member

Another reason? What are the other ones?

jam-bo

meh.

gerryberry
    Free Member

mudshark – Member
    Another reason? What are the other ones?

Because it’s junk and riding is about fun. If you want to race do it against people not imaginaries… Although, i might set a few good times on my motorbike. That’ll learn ’em…*

*other opinions are avaialble though.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Because it’s junk and riding is about fun

I call troll. What’s my prize? 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

meh.

+1

gerryberry
    Free Member

I call wrong, what’s mine?

Just an opinion.

jam-bo

Because it’s junk and riding is about fun.

guess what, you can have fun riding and use strava. five people on our tuesday night ride all logging. settled plenty of arguments about who was the fastest…

actually. meh.

legend
    Free Member

Riding with Strava doesn’t affect my fun level, and all the races I do are against the clock so basically “imaginaries” anyway. I still don’t get the issue

+ racing on shared trails is teh awesum!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Isn’t that opinion based on a massive assumption that those using Strava are not having fun whilst riding? They could be having EVEN MORE FUN THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE. Wowser. Anyway, I digress.

Strava means your bike will get nicked, you say?

gerryberry
    Free Member

I must be getting it wrong then. I didn’t realise riding was all about who is the fastest.

MrAgreeable

Strava’s never going to become truly popular until it gets a drop-down menu of excuses you can apply to your ride after uploading it – “I was feeling a bit poorly that day”, “I had the wrong tyres on” etc.

shinsplints

meh.

+ another 1 to the + 1

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I didn’t realise riding was all about who is the fastest

OK, OK, I’ll bite. Biking doesn’t have to be one dimensional. For most of us I’d be pretty confident it’s not “all about” any one thing. We do it because it satisfies us on much more than just one level. I’m sure every person who has ever straddled a bike has at some stage tried to go as fast as they can.

pete68
    Free Member

gerryberry falling into the trap as a lot of people in thinking his idea of fun is exactly the same as everyone elses.

gerryberry
    Free Member

You don’t have to bite, as it is MY opinion. I’ve never tried to go as fast as i can (apart from downhill), but certainly not against the clock.

For me, (my opinion), i ride to remove myself from daily life, people, and technology etc etc. That was what i was trying to convey. I totally get that riding means different things to different people, but that’s up to them. I haven’t got the ego or desire to be the ‘fastest’. For me it’s about the smiles, nature etc. Pure and simple.

*once again, this is just MY opinion.

I must be getting it wrong then. I didn’t realise riding was all about who is the fastest.

Yes, you are getting it wrong. 😛

reggiegasket
    Free Member

or he’s slow.

Taff
    Free Member

No different to posting pictures of your prized possessions on Facebook without setting up you privacy settings

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable
    What do you think the comments box is for ?

bigjim

Don’t forget it is important to cut fun cornering or obstacles out and straight line it to ensure your time is fastest.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

gerryberry, I was just being a pedant with regard to your rather sweeping statement:

It isn’t ALL about who is the fastest. Most people get all that stuff you mentioned as well as having heaps of fun going as fast as they can and boasting to their mates about their latest KOM.

Never used Strava myself. Those thieving scumbags who stole my bikes last year don’t need any more help

legend
    Free Member

Nah, that’s reserved for certain Elites at Enduro races!

gerryberry
    Free Member

No worries. Not the greatest at making my point, but there it is. I’ve never used it either, and as you can guess, no intention of. 😀

wwaswas

The only person I’ve ever tried to beat on Strava is myself. Most of the time I struggle to even manage that.

As for the OP – privacy settings and an exclusion zone that’s not centred on your house are the solution.

Garmins site doesn’t offer exclusions zones I think so it’s a bit all or nothing on privacy..

mudshark
    Free Member

Strava’s not just about getting KOM’s, I like seeing what riding my mates have been doing but if they beat their best time on a decent segment I’ll given them a thumbs up.

crazy-legs

Road.cc ran a similar article earlier this week.

It just comes down to using it sensibly. I don’t Strava my commute – partly for the privacy aspect, partly cos I’d only upset all the other commuters by stealing all their KOMs. 😉

I don’t Strava most of my off-road rides either, most of them use FP so I don’t want others to see “my” trails or have any evidence that I was there. And I don’t set up unique segments that only I have ridden, that’s just too easy to track down.

I use it on Sportives and road races, it’s brilliant for that and almost impossible to track an individual back to their house.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t realise riding was all about who is the fastest.

Better call up Bradley Wiggins and tell him he’s doing it wrong and he should stop.

(Real answer – you may not find it fun being fast – some people do. You should accept that)

ssjeff
    Free Member

People who diss Strava are slow and useless on bikes FACT

br
    Free Member

Strava’s never going to become truly popular until it gets a drop-down menu of excuses you can apply to your ride after uploading it – “I was feeling a bit poorly that day”, “I had the wrong tyres on” etc.

That’s why you can edit the title, this is the place for excuses 🙂

Strava’s not just about getting KOM’s, I like seeing what riding my mates have been doing but if they beat their best time on a decent segment I’ll given them a thumbs up.

+1

I’m a part of a local crowd and we’re all connected to each other, its great to see what they’ve been up to (and where they’ve been riding). And always good to move up the leader-board on segments.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Do not begin nor finish your route at your house. Solved. I like Strava.

supertacky
    Free Member

I find Strava very motivating. It doesnt have to be all about being the KOM. It tracks progress and enjoy using it to see how Ive progressed fitness wise.

Its also great for some post ride banter with your mates.

Dont get too serious its all ment to be fun

Ride!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Only the very slow people don’t get strava.

I best leave now

For me it works better than garmin connect to keep track of my rides

grtdkad

Fairly addicted to Strava and I’m neither fit nor fast. As already said above as a tool it’s great for tracking progress (personal and mates) and as a memory jog for the less frequently used routes. Plus essentially for me a kick up the ar$e for segments which create relatively short bursts = interval training.

chrismac

If people want to use Strava thats fine, its where it is used.

Im dreading the day when there is an accident caused by someone crashing / hitting someone else because they were going for a KOM leads to us all loosing access to a trail.

grtdkad

Aye. Most of mine are after dusk! … or I’ll be on a looong climb as the sun is gong down and then plummet back down again in to the darkness (god bless Troute lights!)

unklehomered
    Free Member

Hopefully my crappy crappy Strava times will convince people I must have a heap of shit bike not worth breaking into the shed for…

emac65
    Free Member

Im dreading the day when there is an accident caused by someone crashing / hitting someone else because they were going for a KOM leads to us all loosing access to a trail.

Yeah,cos before Strava arrived people just pottered about down trails didn’t they…….. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Another reason NOT to use Strava….’ is closed to new replies.