• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by akira.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another proud Dad thread.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve always worried a little about my middle boy (now 9), just because he’s a bit of a loner, and gave up football, shinty, beavers etc. almost immediately. I think it was mostly that if something didn’t grab his attention then that was that, and the sociable side didn’t interest him.

We tried getting him out on his bike, but that was too tiring, or up to the climbing wall, but he wouldn’t go more than a metre off the ground, and he wouldn’t go to the school skiing week because he was sure he’d be rubbish at it.

Who knows what’s changed, but he went on the skiing lessons and loved it, is riding his bike to school and out with me every weekend I’m off (although I gave him an MBUK to read on the bog and he gave it back, saying he just wants to do normal bike riding 🙂 ), and yesterday he was climbing to the top of the 15m climbing wall. I’ll be learning to ski next winter so we can go together.

So no real point to this, other than to say that Sammy, you’re awesome.

(And if you have a shy/reluctant kid, keep trying different things until they find what they like).

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Great to hear, and well done for staying patient and giving him the opportunities to find something he likes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You should indeed be proud! He isn’t a snowboarderist!

🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like this story a lot 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers. Me too!

I was trying hard not to push him too much – saw too many boys forced to play rugby by their fathers despite them hating it when I was a kid (one that loved it thankfully).

It was close flashy, he put his name down for boarding but due to an admin error got skiing 🙂

sandwicheater

What’s he getting for pudding?

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s just a phase. When he’s about 15 he’ll sneak behind your back and buy a road bike.

You’ll be devastated but you’ll still love him.

He’ll never be your favourite though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheesecake for pudding, two slices.

I am worried about the road bike thing. My daughter’s boyfriend is a roadie and my boys adore him, so this is a risk.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Good on him! We all come into our own at different times. Seems like it’s his nos.

akira

What’s happening with the rest of the cheesecake?
    Tricky with activities as if you push them they might not enjoy it but sometimes they need a bit of encouragement to try something new.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I gave him an MBUK to read on the bog and he gave it back

Of this, you should be very proud.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Indeed! Subscription was a Christmas present from my brother who didn’t know any better.

akira – I told him I’d give him £2 if he climbed to the top! Best £2 I’ve spent though, seeing his face afterwards.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

its great that he likes sking now as it makes the switch to snowboarding all the more enjoyable. Good lad greatapejnr!

akira

Ah bribery, comes close to punishment as a good motivator 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another proud Dad thread.’ is closed to new replies.