• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Another Peak District trail gone
  • Flattyres
    Free Member

Check out 2:40 min on this video to see what has been done with road chippings (I think) to the climb from Aspenshaw Hall, near Hayfield: [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxZky-38R3Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

nbt

It was bloody awful though, it did need to be done. At least they’ve done it properly this time, it won’t fall to bits in a few weeks like the last job

this shows *why* it needed doing:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rowarth-new-mills-hayfield-trail-destruction-psa

scaled
    Free Member

Anything that means I don’t have to climb stitch lane is a winner in my book!

dazh

Been like that since last Summer. TBH before it was ‘repaired’ it was pretty much unrideable as last winter’s storms had cut a 3ft deep gully down it. They could’ve done it with something better than road chippings I agree, but it’s not as bad as some of the other stuff they’ve ‘repaired’ in the area (Strawberry Golf Course Descent at Marple and Chinley Churn descent to name a couple).

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

That’s near to where I live and previously it was unrideable without loads of bike carrying. Agree it is ugly though

Flattyres
    Free Member

After looking at those pictures it makes sense, especially with the big concrete drainage pipes they have built under the trail. I haven’t been up there since before the period of heavy rain, so saw the way the trail had been repaired and thought the worst, what with the councils current track record.
    PS I did a forum search on Aspenshaw Hall but nothing was found, hence the post.

nbt

ah it’s been ages since the damage was originally done. It’s not a perfect repair for us but since the farmer uses it as an access track, at least it’s been done *right* this time.

nbt

BTW at 1:43 in that video we see you going down Smithy Lane on tarmac. You’d be better to carry on and take the next left Gird Lane which is a far better descent – from the junction at the end of Gird Lane you turn left to get back up to Hollywood End Cottages (1:58)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Another Peak District trail gone’ is closed to new replies.