Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Another one. Sir Terry Wogan
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad day. I got the feeling something must be seriousoy wrong fpr him to miss Children in Need. Delighted he was knighted in recognition of his huge success. Thenway he could make Eurovision seem vaguely interesting was genius.

RIP

flap_jack
    Free Member

Apparently the only celeb John Peel invited to his wedding. Speaks volumes.

Not just celebs passing away. Nearly everyone in my road has lost a parent in the last couple of months, myself included. WTF is going on ?

headfirst
    Free Member

His radio 2 breakfast show always helped me to arrive at work in a better mood than I would have otherwise.

RIP Terry,and Chuffer Dandridge, and Janet & John.

steveirwin
    Free Member

Oh no that’s two people that have died already this year

z1ppy

Been listening to BBC audio about Douglas Adams, and various bits were interviews by Terry, I was thoroughly enjoying them, remembering his talk show. So sad, to come back and find this news. Yet another sad passing of a part of my childhood, sympathies to his family and friends

jools182
    Free Member

He always seemed to be a warm & kind person, with a razor sharp wit

He’ll be sadly missed

badnewz
    Free Member

He stood out for being someone who worked in the media but didn’t have a bad bone in his body.
    Just read the BBC bio, which seemed a little negative to me. He was too good for the monster the Beeb became over the years, RIP Terry.

Klunk
    Free Member

Some of his eurovision quips

“She had a nasty shock before she came on stage” – Norway, 1987
    “The lady’s poured into something black” – Netherlands, 1993
    “Here he is – the beard from Basel” – Switzerland, 1994
    “That was song 11. There’s only about 300 more to go” – Croatia, 1995
    “Cruella de Vil sings for France” – France, 1999
    “A defined, well-set, lump of a woman,” – Malta, 2005

MoreCashThanDash

Have to admit, I was expecting him to be older.

A true professional at what he did, never seemed to have an ego with it. A real shame. But he had a great life doing what he seemed to love.

And – don’t forget – he had more banking qualifications than the heads of any of the big banks when the recession hit! 😕

pondo

So sad to hear that this morning, just seemed completely genuine, very nice, and very funny.

shifter
    Free Member

What Headfirst said. Had me in tears many times with that stuff.
    RIP Terry.

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

No. Just heard for the first time here. I can remember his shows as a kid also. RIP. Also the Eurovisions were so funny. I echo all the sentiments, sad loss.

Sandwich

That white fiver will never be repaid now. RIP Terry

bloodynora
    Free Member

RIP and all that but the big question is…. was it a syrup?

CountZero

Very sad when I saw it as a headline on Sky and BBC News on my pad first thing this morning. His was just about the only show I could listen to on R2, helped by the team he had working with him to bounce stuff off of.
    RIP Sir Terence of Wogan. 🙁

NZCol

He was a friend of my dads, I used to see him quite a lot and he was the most genuinely lovely guy, as many have said a true legend of our generation. I know my Dad spoke very fondly and in his final days terry came to see him at quite some disruption to his schedule, but as he said at the time, that’s what you do. A few tears from my mum today on this mainly as she’s the same age and I think she is getting aware of her age. I also am in possession of a blanket blank chequebook and pen !

senorj

I had a Terry “moment”.
    In Covent Garden,he was sitting on a bench in Neals Yard.
    He clocked that I had clocked him.
    He lit a mahoosive Cuban,and give me a wink. I winked back . 🙂
    RIP Terry.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Top bloke of the highest order. He gave a lot of pleasure to a lot of people and will be greatly missed.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ll issue his excellent contribution to the Eurovision song thing.

Northwind

He came into a fringe venue I was working in, apparently purely to heckle Bob Monkhouse, then ****ed off laughing like a nutter. Just seemed to love his life basically.

(also in all my life I’ve only ever had 2 people genuinely say “Do you know who I am”. But with Wogan, when I said course I do (and kind of horified/disappointed), he said “Damn it. Could you let me in anyway?”. Simple joke, delivered like a nuclear bomb.)

freeagent
    Free Member

His Eurovision commentary was at times hilarious.
    I also liked the way he’d refer to his wife as ‘The current Mrs Wogan’ even though they’d been married for decades.

RIP – sadly missed.

Bregante

From tomorrow’s telegraph.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Another one. Sir Terry Wogan’ is closed to new replies.