Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Another one for the Techies Dell hardrive size
  • eviljoe
    Free Member

Dear All,,

Got delivery of my new Dell Laptop today, sparkly new blue Studio 15. I Paid to have a biggger hard drive, a 320gb instead of the 250 standard.

So checked it, it says; "265 gb free of 283 gb"

hmmm. Is this right? A 283gb hard drive? Surely windows 7 doesn't take 37 gb??

Any thoughts before I once again brave the Dell telephone system?

Cheers

Wozza
    Free Member

Some of it is lost in the formatting and some will be kept for the recovery partition.

Oh and I have the Studio 13… they look great, but they're the worst at showing up grubby fingerprints!

eviljoe
    Free Member

So it is 320gb?!

dmiller
    Free Member

email sent…

uplink
    Free Member

Isn't it all to do with how many blocks it uses & are wasted in the formatting

320 is the un-formatted size

dmiller
    Free Member

GB can be interpretted two ways:
    Way one
    1024MB where each MB = 1024KB = where each KB = 1024 bytes and each byte = 8 bits.
    Therefore 1 GB = 8 589 934 592 bits

Way two
    1000 MB where each MB = 1000 KB = where each KB = 1000 bytes and each byte = 8 bits.
    Therefore 1 GB = 8 000 000 000 bits.

The OS will measure actual number of bits (as that's the useful number of storage) and will report sizes using way one. Hard Disk manufactures will measure in way two as they can sell the drive as bigger with less bits (cheaper to make).

So assuming that you have a 320 GB HDD measured in way two you have:
    320 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 * 8 bits = 2560000000000 bits.

Moving that to way two is 2560000000000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 / 8 bits = 298.02 GB.

So the total formatted size of your HDD is 298.02 GB.

However being a Dell the drive will be split into three.
    1st section – couple of hundred megs – diagnostics tools.
    2nd section – probably 10 – 15gb – recovery partition.
    3rd section – os install section – whatever is left.

So 298.02 – 10(ish) gives 283(ish) GB – roughly what you have.

A windows 7 install is about 5GB, then you have the rest of the stuff dell sticks on there (with this being a home system I'm guessing AV, some office stuff, probably adobe reader, drivers and apps installs, etc).

Also when the data is stored on the disk it is stored in blocks that may be bigger than the file size so some space is wasted there as well (dont worry about this!).

So yeah the numbers work out about right!

However if you reply to my email I can check what the factory fitted to the system to be sure. (Dont post your service tag here!).

(Also I would say don't delete the diags partition – you may need that, you could maybe delete the restore partition but only if you have all the media, windows etc. I wouldn't bother and would suggest leaving it – it will make you life easier!).

Hope this helps!

David.

eviljoe
    Free Member

David, you're a star!

If you're ever Devon way, let me know, there will be riding and cake.

Just goes to show what the brainpower of STW can achieve 🙂

Loving the computer already- loads faster than my old Inspiron 550 (!) and Windows 7 seems to make much more sense than Vista. This is my 3rd dell- pretty happy with them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another one for the Techies Dell hardrive size’ is closed to new replies.