Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Another one bites the dust – LBS content :-(
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

It seems The Bike Shop in Hexham is no more.

Nearest bike shop is 3 miles away in Corbridge, which is fine if you’re driving past that way or have a second bike, but no use if you’re a kid who needs to get a wonky wheel fixed, or an old dear with a puncture.

I know it was hard competing against onlne retail and big chains, but the parts and service side seemed to be thriving. I’m wondering about how to establish a replacment (before, if the rumours are true, Halfords move to new retail park about to be built).

Anyone else lost an only LBS? And any success stories of resurection?

chunkyktr
    Free Member

That’s a shame. I never used them personally – too far away, but I know guys who did.
    Thought they would have done well considering their placement/catchment area.

convert

tbh I would have thought an lbs density of one every 3 miles in a non bike centric country like ours would be unsustainably high. The hope is the remaining ones soak up the custom in an intelligent way and remain viable businesses.

I went into a lbs (not my lbs but in a nearby town) yesterday. Quite a good place with a good range of kit for the most serious mtber/roadie through to the commuter and teen paper boy. 2 customer (inc me and I wasn’t really intent on buying anything) and 4 staff and a hundred grands worth of stock as a finger in the air estimate. Just don’t know how you make those figures work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

an lbs density of one every 3 miles in a non bike centric country like ours would be unsustainably high

Depends which part of the country you’re in.

In Northumberland, that’s 3 miles between one town and the next village with only country roads in between, so completely seperate.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

In my experience stocking anything much high end is a waste of resources in this internet dominated age. Repairs to bikes that came out of Halfords and Argos pays the bills. Occasionally it’s frustrating not to have nice kit to show to more serious customers but not often enough to justify the investment required.

convert

Depends which part of the country you’re in.

In Northumberland, that’s 3 miles between one town and the next village with only country roads in between, so completely seperate.

I’d say there is an argument that in rural Northumberland the separation should be a lot further. How many thousand households are in a 3 miles radius there in comparison to say London? I agree that it would be a pita from a customer perceptive to have to walk 3 miles of dark road with a dead bike to get it fixed (if you were too inept with a spanner to do it yourself) but basic economics says you need potential customers to remain viable.

shortcut

This is pretty simple. If you want local bike shops to survive use then and pay the slight premium. If you don’t – save the pennies, use CRC or Bikediscount.de and dry your eyes when your new frame needs a reaming or facing, your wheels need truing or your hubs need new bearing…..

And as per a previous post – one shop every 3 miles with lots of green and few houses in between is not going to be viable in not so hot and sunny Northumberland. Best bet to provide a community bike service out your garage to be honest, carry some stock and get a bike fixing qualification and decent tools. You could sell your wares at races. You won’t make a good living from it though.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I would have thought that for Hexham, the town centre ‘back alley’ location was the big draw back – if you did one slightly further out, or close to a road/parking then you’d likely be a lot better off (?)

I seem to remember there being a bike shop years ago down past the coach and horses on Priestpopple?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

If you want local bike shops to survive use then and pay the slight premium.

I did. Sadly not enough other people did.

The biggest problem is not so much the loss of the bike shop, more the loss of another shop from what used to be a lovely market town. There are all sorts of plans to resurrect the town, but if they ever happen, they’re going to happen too late.

one shop every 3 miles with lots of green and few houses in between is not going to be viable

But it used to be, and if more people cycled, it would be. But its going to be hard to encourage people to use what facilities there are, if there’s no shop to support them. It is/was a 2-way relationship.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

the town centre ‘back alley’ location was the big draw back

It gave it bags of character, and its not quite a back alley. I agree that there are better locations though. But as I mentioned, shopping in Hexham in general is in decline since the disbanding of Tynedale Council lost 300 jobs from the town centre as they relocated to Northumberland County Council in Morpeth. And the same county council also insist on expensive parking fees which disuades people from shopping here, compared to other towns and villages in the area which have free parking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But it used to be, and if more people cycled, it would be. But its going to be hard to encourage people to use what facilities there are, if there’s no shop to support them. It is/was a 2-way relationship.

But it’s cheaper from Germany, and LBS’s just rip you off, and their all idiots and I’m not buying it for that price.
    The internet hasn’t helped but neither has people perception of cost vs value.

Edit# Is there anywhere up there with free parking anymore? Alnwick was a PITA last time I was back. Same issue down here in Tassie no parking near things and meters everywhere.

thx1138
    Free Member

That’s a shame. I’ve walked past that shop a number of times.

I would have thought that for Hexham, the town centre ‘back alley’ location was the big draw back – if you did one slightly further out, or close to a road/parking then you’d likely be a lot better off (?)

When looking for a new bike recently, I knew that shopping around in a big city like London would yield more choice and availability than a small shop in a rural town. I never considered the Bike Shop as an option, simply because I didn’t think they would have the choice and stock available, and I didn’t want to spend too much time hunting around. Little independent bike shops are good for emergencies and repairs, but beyond that, what with Halfords etc as well, I can’t see how that model can survive really. I would have thought a better location for a bike shop would be near the station, near the Tesco and Waitrose stores, as there’s potential for more parking and better access there.

Edit# Is there anywhere up there with free parking anymore?

Jewsons on Station road. They have a little free car park that doesn’t seem to have exorbitant ‘penalty’ charges. Just make sure you pop in a buy something though. 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I never considered the Bike Shop as an option, simply because I didn’t think they would have the choice and stock available

But did you even look?

They used to have a reasonable range of stock, right up to some seriously expensive bling, I never figured out how they justified them, but they sold!
    Due to the size, it was limited, but they were able to get most things in if you knew what you wanted, and happy to price-match pretty much anyone.

Bit late now.

As for free parking, nowhere in Hexham. You used to be able to park in Tesco for 3 hours, which gave time for supermarket shop, and walk up to the thigh street, but they’ve reduced the limit to 2 hours now, so not enough time.
    And adding insult to injury, they’ve employed 4 traffic wardens to replace the 1 who retired, so they’ve got more expenditure! Its nonsense!

Corbridge (of the succesful alternative shop) has free parking.

Go figure…

bajsyckel

Man that is really bad news. Ever since the shop opened it was always busy with kids, local bmxers etc. Like you say OP, for people like them there’s nowhere in town (The other shop Zulu Eleven mentioned must have shut down over 15 years ago now, corbridge shop is pretty much high end road stuff). BTW ir-bandito, do you know what happened to the shop in Haltwhistle?

Whatever they plan to do now, all the best for the future.

thx1138
    Free Member

But did you even look?

I’ll confess I didn’t. I have several large bike shops within a short walk of my office, so I don’t need to make a special trip. I can just pop out at lunchtime and have a browse. I’m only in Northumberland at weekends, so usually have other stuff to do. Don’t go into Hexham much anyway really.

Corbridge (of the succesful alternative shop) has free parking.

Funny little shop selling only racing bikes? Very close to us. Seems to be a bit of a ‘niche’ shop.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Seems to be a bit of a ‘niche’ shop

It is a bit. I wonder if they’d like to open a mtb branch in Hexham….

Mark who runs Activ is a really nice guy, they’ve got a very competitive road team. The mechanic used to race DH though so its quite cabale around mtbs.

I can just pop out at lunchtime and have a browse

I used to do that. 🙁

birdage

Yep we just lost one, Future Cycles in Lewes with the sister branch in Forest Row also closing. Suddenly with no warning on Valentines Day!! Presume they went into liquidation but no explanation.

Real shame cause they were nice people, genuinely passionate about bikes and up for being involved in community cycling initiatives.

The other LBS we have, whilst good in its own way seems to be mostly Bontrager and Trek. Which is fine if that floats your boat and it is what some people want. I couldn’t argue with them about singlespeed versus fixie though!

gearsrgood

Very sad indeed , good workshop , good chat & always
    very helpful , loved the location too. Will be missed.

takisawa2

pay the slight premium

See, that’s the point, my LBS carry no stock of higher end kit, so everything takes up to a week to order, & on average charge twice what CRC & bike.de et al. I feel incredibly guilty if I pop in for something, but I just can’t justify £75 for an XT cassette, for example.

TooTall
    Free Member

But it’s cheaper from Germany, and LBS’s just rip you off, and their all idiots and I’m not buying it for that price.
    The internet hasn’t helped but neither has people perception of cost vs value.

I don’t think you supported the point you were trying to make there 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Yep we just lost one, Future Cycles in Lewes with the sister branch in Forest Row also closing. Suddenly with no warning on Valentines Day!! Presume they went into liquidation but no explanation.

Aye, that was a great shame – they were great guys, and also at the forefront of recumbents in the UK for a long time.

BillyBull
    Free Member

That’s a real shame as it was a great shop. I’ve bought a fair bit of stuff from there over the years. Had great stock for a small shop. Also price matched the Internet so really reasonable. Friendly staff and fun throwing ball towards the grapes for the dog too . Activ in Corbridge looked empty in comparison.

winston2005

I only came across this shop last year when I bought a Cotic Soul frame from them, found the lads to be really helpful. Personally I found the prices they charged where very reasonable. Unfortunately Hexham seems to of lost a lot of good independant shops

Jamie
    Free Member

5 month bump?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Talking the other day to LBS owner in Cheltenham.He thinks there will be quite alot packing up this year.Look at the shops in Bristol few months back.Not easy in town centres anymore.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Often matching mail order prices is part of the problem as it knackers the margin.
    Discount yes but not so far as to make nothing.

billyboy
    Free Member

Two very successful non bike related businesses on our parade of shops have just closed because of rent, and subsequent rate, rises. They were always packed out…now the shops are empty…and the landlords and the local authority are earning nothing from them.

I realise Capitalism runs on greed but sometimes greed doesn’t pay.

Next year it might be us

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Another one bites the dust – LBS content :-(’ is closed to new replies.