Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Another 'Noisy neighbour Thread'. How would you deal with this?
  • jimmy

We live in a flat, on the ground floor next to the block’s entrance. Leading up to the mai door is a small metal staircase of 5 steps. Unfortunately these steps act like a set of church bells and every time they are knocked or banged, it reverberates through our flat.

So the old boy of about 80 from upstairs has taken to cleaning the pathway in front of the flat, including these steps. In the summer he bashes around sweeping the steps and path, bashing the steps with his broom as he goes. In the winter just now, he’s scraping and banging it with his spade to shift the snow. All this at anywhere from 5 – 630am. So this morning I stuck my head out the window and thanked him for his efforts but pointed out that it reverberates through our flat. His response was one of “Well I’ve been up since 4am, are you not going to work today? Or do you want to break your leg on these steps?”. And he’s the type to jump on the offensive with it, so doesn’t listen to anything being said and laughs when I tell him that yes, I will be going to work today but not until 8am.

How the hell do you manage these people? He’s doing a good deed by tidying the steps of snow – not I see the need, older folk might – but its not on at 6am. Do I;

a) call the police (unsociable behaviour?)
    b) get out the night before and clean the steps myself? (This is probably the best idea, but he’d still be out there in the morning doing his bit no doubt).
    c) grab his spade off him and shove it where there ain’t no snow…

Grrrrrr.

Tired & Grumpy of Edinburgh

philconsequence
    Free Member

d) help him out for a couple of mornings, make friends, buy him a tin of quality street for christmas with a note saying “thanks for making ours a quality street” 😆

Sandwich

Extreme Noise Terror at 2am every night for a week. He won’t be up at 4am for a while. Repeat as necessary to maintain his sleep-in time.
    Failing that a dab of brylcream on the stairs and watch grandad bounce!

baldSpot
    Free Member

He’s being helpful and only trying to fill his day in..

ASSEMBLE THE LYNCH MOB! 😈

allthepies
    Free Member

e) Bury him under the nearest patio

jimmy

Nice idea, but I’m trying to discourage him from doing it at that time. I have been friendly with him in the past but one mention of DWould you mind just….” and its all gone. His attitude is mirrored by the regular, four-letter rants he can be heard having at his wheelchair-bound wife for making his life a misery.

Junkyard
    Free Member

try reason then explain you are quiet when he is in bed then steal his shovel

uplink
    Free Member

e)
    Lean out of the window & let him know when he’s missed a bit

f)
    get over yourself

iDave
    Free Member

saying ‘would you just mind’ gives him a choice

say something different

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

You’re complaining that an 80 year old is cleaning the steps & pavement for everyone in the building?

Why not zip tie some pipe lagging to the railing that is causing you problems, and secure some rubber matting to the steps? At the same time “home alone” the front steps of the building so the next time the old guy is out he’ll slip & sustain a fractured neck of femur, that’ll see him out of action for a couple of months.

He’s obviously keen to retain his “cock o’road” title for as long as possible.

ski
    Free Member

d) help him out for a couple of mornings, make friends, buy him a tin of quality street for christmas with a note saying “thanks for making ours a quality street”

There you go, a life long friend in the making, can he paint too? 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Chop your ears off so you can’t hear the noise any more.

jimmy

He’s being helpful and only trying to fill his day in..

Thats the awkward part. But just cos he’s up at 4am doesn’t make it right for him expext everyone else to be…

philconsequence
    Free Member

iDave +1

if making friends doesnt work, maybe a “you disturb my sleep and i’ll disturb yours… i’m assuming you like all night raves? your clearing of the steps will make it safer for the people leaving my party to get home safely”

then set fire to his shoes and wee on his bombers and stuff

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

80 you say? … he’ll be dead soon anyways wont he (let him have his fun ya bugger) Lol

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Leave a pile of jazz mags by the front door to avert his mind from stair cleaning?

poppa
    Free Member

Salt?

philconsequence
    Free Member

old men dont shrivel up like slugs in salt! everyone gts shrivelled and wrinkly by that age poppa

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

z) clad the steps with badger fur?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Connect the steps to the mains electricity and take out the circuit breaker so give a nice steady flow, Zap and hes fryied.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Another 'Noisy neighbour Thread'. How would you deal with this?’ is closed to new replies.