Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Another New Zealand question…
  • martinw
    Free Member

Hey,

We’re heading to NZ next week for a 4-ish weeks and wondering what to pack as we’ll be camping for some of the stay. So, sorry for another New Zealand question but there seems to be a good few people on here in the know!

How strict are customs with people bringing tents into the country? I wouldn’t say it is dirty but the there’s the usual muck on the tapes etc. I’ll give it a good clean before mind.

Also what about stoves? Can’t see them taking exception to us bringing a trangia in?

Oh, can you get meths in NZ or is the gas conversion a better idea?

I’m sure I forgot something… ah well, it’ll come back to me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jimbo
    Free Member

Anything that’s even remotely “outdoorsy” must be spotless, going by my (limited) experience.

NZCol

MAF are reasonably strict about most things.
    You’ll be subjected to a small dog sniffing you at the baggage claim for fruit & food.
    Then my recommendation is if you have ANY outdoor gear just declare it on the form and go straight to the RED channel – its faster that way !
    They will probably want to see your tent and are looking for dirt, seeds etc – if you can really empty it out and give it a gentle wash with some disinfectant it shoudl speed you up. Shoes as well, scrub thm clean, remove seeds grass etc
    Yep you can get meths, petrol, MSR fuel etc – we even have electricity and everything these days 😉 But yep pretty easy to find all that stuff. You’ll get bottles of meths cheaply in DIY shops and petrol stations. Of course fuel bottle will need to be trated properly before you fly (olive oil or whatever your method is)
    Have fun

NZCol

sorry my typing is sh1t – my sheep keep walking into the office ad annoying me 😉

martinw
    Free Member

Chuckle 🙂 Sorry, didn’t mean to sound like we’re going to Siberia or something… I know the MAF are pretty keen and meths can be a pain to get hold of some places. Good to know the inside track though, thanks 🙂

NZCol

No worries. Meths you can always get in Bunnings, MItre10 and Placemakers. Most BP petrol stations have it as well (but its more expensive). You can also try the Warehouse as they sometimes have it. MSR fuel generally is outdoors shops. Gs canisters are also outdoor shops, Warehouse sometimes and also most campsites/random shops in the middle of nowhere.
    You’re coming at a good time – weather has been quite nice recently. And it will be quieter as everyone is back at work BOOOOOOO !

namsat
    Free Member

I’ll second the comment about the treatment of the trangia burner. The security person was going to make us leave ours there even though we’d cleaned it out properly.

martinw
    Free Member

Good tips – thanks! Ah, I remember what I was going to ask, I don’t suppose anybody has canoed on the Wanganui river have you? Any hire companies to recommend/avoid?

I hear it has been very nice, I honestly cannot wait, I expect it couldn’t be more different from N1/London!

NZCol

Yep sure have – paddled our Hypernova down it in a oner – not a trip I’d recommend for anyone who is not training for an expedition race ! Was awesome fun though. A lot of friends have been through in the canadians and had good trips. Sorry don;t know any firms off the top of my head but can find out. They generally give you a boat and some barrels etc. Camping is cool and some good spots. The river itself is amazing. Some good Grade II rapids in some bits.
    And for whoever asked about biking. One place/trip i forgot about is the Wangamomona track and area. Theres good biking out to the bridge to nowhere and then you can jetboat (with your bike) and link up to another track. Fishnchipper has done it. I might do it before March and will report back.

NZCol

Oh and a Hypernova is one of these http://www.jkkkayaks.co.nz/itemid_6.html best thing I have ever bought !

martinw
    Free Member

Sounds amazing, I was looking at some pictures of the river and it looked beaut.

Hypernova looks racey, I wonder if I can sneak one of those into the flat 😉

NZCol

Yep sure is a great boat – we had it out surfing in 40kt winds in Welly last night – awesome fun. Just as happy bimbling along as it is being monstered. Has probably been paddled more than any of my other boats by miles and has done countless races.

Yep the river is very cool. If you are short of time then the Rangitikei is also nice for a days cruisy paddle from the gravel pit down to Mangaweka. Its a bit Wnaganui-ish but smaller. Theres a good campsite at mangaweka next to the river. Mokai aka Gravity Canyon is also awesome – the flying fox is truly scary. Mangaweka adv company (paul and trish) are really really helpful.

Where are you flying into and planning to go ? Some good out of the way spots could be recommended…..

anagallis_arvensis

I wouldnt worry about camping kit too much. Just make sure its fairly clean and declare everything and the nice people at the airport will clean it all for you, my tent pegs have never been so spotless.

martinw
    Free Member

We’re visiting my sister in-law in Palmerston North, we’re flying into Auckland, spending a couple of days there then flying to Palmerston. She’s then planned a few trips for us all (Wellington, Martinborough, Napier, Rotorua/Vegas).

She’s got a young ‘un so can’t be on the road for the full month so we’re planning to nick off for a few trips inbetween (hence Canoeing, maybe up Taranaki, that other one… Tongariro?). All North island this trip, down South next time round we thought – a good excuse to come back though 😉

Any tips though much appreciated!

NZCol

Well Mangaweka and the Rangitikei River is about 45 minutes from Palmy so you have plenty of scope to get into that.
    Yep i’d recommend the Tongariro Crossing as a walk but beware it gets ‘busy’
    If you like surf/beaches/playing in the surf then go through thw Manawatu Gorge and head east to Riversdale or Castlepoint – both great spots for a couple of days camping and chilling out.
    You could get to Taumurunui easily for the Whanganui River so you cold do a tong crossing/wanganui mission.
    Palmy is quite dull btw – sorry !
    If you want to biek then get to Rotovegas and ride there – good bike hire available at the Whakawerawera carpark and awesome trails.

NZCol

Well Mangaweka and the Rangitikei River is about 45 minutes from Palmy so you have plenty of scope to get into that.
    Yep i’d recommend the Tongariro Crossing as a walk but beware it gets ‘busy’
    If you like surf/beaches/playing in the surf then go through thw Manawatu Gorge and head east to Riversdale or Castlepoint – both great spots for a couple of days camping and chilling out.
    You could get to Taumurunui easily for the Whanganui River so you cold do a tong crossing/wanganui mission.
    Palmy is quite dull btw – sorry !
    If you want to biek then get to Rotovegas and ride there – good bike hire available at the Whakawerawera carpark and awesome trails.

woody2000

Yay, another chance to post some piccies!

Tongariro – like Col says, it does get busy and make sure you don’t miss the bus back!

I love NZ, can’t wait to go back. See the stupid grin on our faces? Never stopped smiling the whole time we were there!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Another New Zealand question…’ is closed to new replies.