Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Another new Kinesis……(road conttent)
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I get back from watching the Tour, and this is waiting for me…

But I don’t know when I’m going to get time to build it 🙁 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice. Get on with it. And post a photo when you’re done!

finbar
    Free Member

Bad ass. Needs a fully murdered out de-logo-ed everything build.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Just finished, fully built up…..

AD

Looks fantastic!
    Unfortunately I’ll give it a maximum of two more posts before some genius points out the stem should be ‘slammed’…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Well, the headtube is 170mm long which is longer than headtube and spacers combined on my last frame.

I haven’t ridden it yet, so it may well yet be slammed!! 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

That is really really nice! Can I ask, did you quibble a bit about the choosing an ally frame when carbon seems to have came to the fore? I know Canyon, Cannondale and now Kinesis are doing great things with aluminium again( the reviews are tremendous)but what your reason were for going for alu? Once again stunning bike!

schmiken

That is gorgeous!

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Stealth! Black bikes are always faster just ask Cav.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

You could submit this to the readers bikes section on the Kinesis site.

Eddiethegent

Very nice. Is that the 56cm?

I’ve been looking for something to take on the 3rd Cat carnage at Castle Coombe and this looks perfect.

Have you ridden it yet? It looks like it could be a bit harsh on normal road surfaces – but thats the price you pay for a true race bike.

RustySpanner

Dungeon needs painting.

shifter
    Free Member

Wrong gear for photos!
    Lovely bike 😉

mboy
    Free Member

That looks the nuts! Makes me even more sure that I want an Aithein as my next frame…

Mind me asking how tall you are…? I’m 5ft10 but not into long headtubes, thinking I’d want a 53 rather than the 56, but use a 110-120mm stem on it.

What’s your build spec? Those look like Microshift STI’s, how do they fare? I’m getting more and more tempted by 11spd Ultegra myself, though may just stick with 10 as its so cheap now. Or there’s 11spd Athena too perhaps!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Spec:
    Microshift Arsis groupset
    Forged alloy calipers (like the ones that Planet-X do)
    SRAM Apex chainset
    Planet X AL30 wheels
    Bioflex saddle
    Lapierrer seatpost and Genesis alloy bars (to be swapped for some Hylix carbon when they arrive)
    Time pedals

Currently just a smidge over 17lb.

What with Madison Genesis riding stainless frames, I had a (rare) moment when I thought it will always be more about the rider than the bike, so I stripped down my Hongfu FM066 to build this.

Microshift is pretty good (it came off the FM066), has quite a snappy and loud shift, compared to the Tiagra Shimano I had before which was light in feel but a bit plasic-y. Think it was £180 ish for the Microshift shifters, front and rear mechs – which for kit that is comparably light as Ultegra (or possibly Dura Ace) is good value to me.

Not ridden it yet but will post back when I’ve tried it. It is a 56, the Hongfu was a 54 and had a 140 head tube. I’m 5ft 10. The Hongfu was fine, but I just fancied a change and the Kinesis in 53 looked just too small, I’ve ridden Trek and Genesis 56’s before, so I’m expecting it to be fine size wise.

I’ll try report back when I’ve had a ride.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one else noticed the tyre logos are not properly aligned.

Nice bike.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

And I deliberatey avoided the uncut grass and weeds on the patio too 😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

First impressions…..firm but not too harsh, fits me well and there’s no toe overlap which is always good….

But I cut the ride short cos I forgot my water bottle, the brake levers kept slipping on the bars and the brakes went a bit funny because of that.

And I forgot to fit rubber doughnuts to the cables, which get a bit rattly on the downtube.

edhornby

I’ve just been on the kinesis website and seem the burnt orange one..
    I am now considering one with campag and all black finishing kit…. Mmmmmmm

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Think the coloured ones are a few weeks away – I asked about lime green but was told 6 weeks (which was about 3 weeks ago). The anodised ones came in first and I couldn’t refuse 😉

Plus the paint will add weight surely 😉

mboy
    Free Member

What’s the stem length mtbtomo? I’m still erring towards a 53 with a longer stem, the 57cm effective TT on the 56 is at least 1cm longer than anything I’ve ridden before. My current bike has a 56cm TT with 110mm stem and an inline post, and if anything it feels a bit more stretched than I’d like.

Still loving the dark as night ano black and fully destickered look! Very tempted to do the same… :-p

mboy
    Free Member

EDIT: Double post

takisawa2

Needs more black.
    And de-logo everything.

Otherwise, the brotherhood of the Gold Chain will absorb you.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I am really scared by some of what gets posted on here 😉

Mboy – the top tube is, like you say for yourself, also about 10mm longer than anything I’ve ridden before, but my other 56’s have been with a 100mm stem and slightly longer reach bars.

The photo shows a 100mm Deda, but before even riding I fitted a 90mm stem and the bars are about 10-15 shorter reach than my last build. Just had another look at the geometry chart, and perhaps I could have got away with the 53 maybe, as the top tube for that is 55cm, which is still longer than the 545 on my Hongfu. I wanted slightly higher bars though (longer head tube) and brought the length back down with stem and bars.

First short ride out and the set up seemed fine. My Hylix carbon bars arrived today, so there’s more tinkering to do 🙂

What substance do I use for safely de-logoing alu stem and carbon bars???

mboy
    Free Member

You’ve definitely convinced me I’d be better off with the 53. Would want to run a 110mm stem and a layback post, and 170mm headtube is IMO pretty tall.

jonnyb0
    Free Member

Silly question: but where did you get this in the Ano finish?
    I cant seem to find them anywhere!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Jonny – it could be a silly (well, pointless) question…..I got in touch with Freeborn as soon as the Kinesis facebook page said they’d landed in the UK at the start of July.

They had one left at the importer in a 56, with the rest having been snapped up by magazines etc.

Sounded like they were genuinely short on numbers, so I had to have it 😉

jonnyb0
    Free Member

Looks like Orange is on the cards then!
    I spoke to Martin at Upgrade who said a similar thing, I might get lucky trying stores directly, but its unlikely. Kinesis have shipped them all!

Although still torn between this or a Giant TCR SL…
    I loved the KR810 I used to ride though!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Another new Kinesis……(road conttent)’ is closed to new replies.