Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Another new bike thread, second in 3 weeks
  • weeksy

Well i went against the grain.. Which is of course very typical of me.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWX5/on-one-parkwood-final-countdown-edition-sram-x5-mountain-bike

I went for an On-One Parkwood complete bike. This way i get more modern geometry, decent enough spec build, 15mm axle forks and tapered steerer etc.

All in all it should be an ideal bike for what i’m after. Climbs well, goes down well, still has 10 speed and 29 so compatible with spare wheels for mud/road swapping etc.

The Cooker is up for sale but in honesty if it stays and hangs in the loft space it’s far from a complete disaster, it’s a decent bike and pretty enough.

I’m looking forward to getting the Parkwood delivered

mikey3
    Free Member

Do you find the buying more exciting that the riding?

weeksy

At the moment i do… but only because i’ve spannered my ribs and can’t ride.

I’ve owned the previous 2 bikes for 18 months and 2 years, so it’s not exactly a weekly thing. But i sold the Spearfish as a mate wanted it when i bought the Kona Process (I owned the Fish for 18 months, but a fish before that for 2 years also). So i thought i’d bring the 2nd bike more into the modern world with dropper compatibility, 15mm axle, tapered forks etc.

wwaswas

At the moment i do… but only because i’ve spannered my ribs and can’t ride.

I always seem to come out the back of an injury that stops me riding with at least one new bike.

“I can’t ride a bike! I know I’ll buy a bike!” – madness.

mikey3
    Free Member

Well everyone needs something to occupy the mind :-),buying bike stuff seems like a good way to me,enjoy.

nedrapier

it’s not exactly a weekly thing

just a weeksy thing? 🙂

nedrapier

I always seem to come out the back of an injury that stops me riding with at least one new bike.

“I can’t ride a bike! I know I’ll buy a bike!” – madness.

I know this! Nothing knocks buying/upgrading urges on the head like just going for a ride on the bike you have and having a blast, as per always! Can’t ride, keep reading, more time next to the computer, card in easy reach…

weeksy

Well the new bike has arrived and the Charge has left the building.

Fitted pedals, covered in tape and fitted bottle cage, but not test ridden it yet

jekkyl

That looks mint. Glad to hear also that you sold the Charge.
    & clean up your drive, that foliage is a disgrace!

weeksy

Not my drive, it’s the neighbours

mm93
    Free Member

That looks nice,what size is it and how tall are you?

blader1611
    Free Member

That bike would be a lot faster with a better colour bottle cage,

weeksy

Large 6’0

Wally

Wrap an innertube around that chainstay.

Kryton57

…is a moot point. Tell them you need to display your bike content to thousands of ocd keyboard warriors and therefore they need to get there finger out.

weeksy

Wally – Member
    Wrap an innertube around that chainstay.
    T

I’ve fitted a lizard skins protector now

tenfoot

A friend of mine has just built up a parkwood with 26+ wheels. Nice bike but not a lot of mud clearance on the rear.

papercutout
    Free Member

How’s the fork? I just can’t imagine part of the ‘Silver’ range being that good… (good for the price, but overall?) Not a big fan of SRAM groupsets either.

Bargainous bike, I’ve got a brand new Parkwood frame to sell as soon as I get back from Turkey as I got a Stache instead – they seem pretty reasonable pieces of kit, light and a pretty good finish.

weeksy

Don’t know sorry. Cracked ribs mean I’ve done about 20m on it.

It’s only really my winter bike, so the forks and kit are not hugely important short term. Anything not up to scratch will get upgraded over time.

coomber
    Free Member

Been out on mine again tonight. Two and half years in still think it’s great to be honest.

I’m 6″ 2″ so use a layback. Not a massive bike but good for putting in some regular short rides. For the price new think it’s a bargain.

Rear clearance is great by the way. I have a 2″ storm control in and reckon its about an inch either side. Had a onza 2.3″ before that fine too.

Those forks will be fine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ribs. Did you have a tumble ?

weeksy

Yeah, chicksands. Went wrong. Oops

renton
    Free Member

Weren’t you trying to sell yours a few months back Coomber??

DiscJockey
    Free Member

chain’s too short, send the bike back 😉

weeksy

DiscJockey – Member

chain’s too short, send the bike back

Never noticed that… i guess it could do with an extra link in there if i leave it with the 38T front. But it’s fairly likely i’ll swap to a 30T 1×10 i have lying about, not sure yet to be honest… it’s a thought though anyway.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

…is a moot point. Tell them you need to display your bike content to thousands of ocd keyboard warriors and therefore they need to get their finger out.

Fixed it for you, apologies it is my OCD

papercutout
    Free Member

Coomber – they use exactly the same (29er) frame for the 27.5+ bike, hence the clearance.

weeksy

Fitted new cranks, Rafeface Ride 1x NW cranks. 32T.

I’ve only done 200m on the GXP cranks but the 2x and the 38T cog wasn’t really doing it for me, along with not really loving GXP bottom brackets at the best of times.

Cleans up the front end nicely though.

Apolgies for blurred pic, i’ll do a nicer one later

coomber
    Free Member

renton – Member

Weren’t you trying to sell yours a few months back Coomber??

Indeed I was. Couldn’t get peanuts for it so decided to keep it. It does what I want and I’m not precious about it so that’s fine with me. Was more about a change then anything wrong with it.

weeksy

Really enjoying the bike lots, done about 80km on it now in 3 rides. Only fault really is the forks bounce a lot when clbing out of the saddle. But I can lock them out if needed of course.

Other than that, it’s great.

Off to swinley tomorrow with it.

weeksy

Took to Swinley last night, it was excellent, better than i expected. Only the rooty bit on Red15 was a bit Bleuurgh, but apart from that, it went really well.

One weird thing though, i don’t know if it’s just me… but it doesn’t jump…. at all ! I lift the front but the rear just struggles to get any air time. Same speed, technique as even the Spearfish, let alone the Process, but this thing just doesn’t seem to want any air-time.

Can’t say it massively bothers me…. but just an observation.

Kryton57

I’m confused now by all your bike threads.

But thanks for surpassing me on the indecisive “my bike” / “new bike” threads. 😉

weeksy

LOL there’s only 2… but with 3 bikes.

Parkwood, bought, staying
    Process153, bought and re-sold
    Whyte T130, bought and awaiting arrival.

superfli
    Free Member

I built up one of these earlier this year from a bargain £80 frame from on-one. Used spare parts I had lying around and built a front wheel/scavenged a rear, bought some cheap forks. Its not a bad build actually and is lighter than any of my other bikes! 27lb 🙂 no dropper. Carbon bars, XT drivetrain.

Its to be used as a baby carrier. Cost me £230! I need to take it offroad really.

faustus

Been riding mine for a year or so now and I really enjoy it. Pretty versatile on lots of terrain and plenty of fun. Builds into a pretty light bike for not much money. Mine’s re-sprayed grey though cos i can’t stand the graphics! Hope it gives you good service for 18months/2 years 🙂

weeksy

I’ve got it in pretty stock X5 trim at the moment, but removed the Double and fitted a Reaceface 1×10 setup. Other than that it’s in ‘trail’ mode currently, i’ll be fitting the lightweight wheels for summer with faster rubber.

faustus

Nice, I run mine with 1 x 10 and tactic wheels and it never really gets changed apart from mudguards in winter and swapping dropper for normal post. It does feel fairly swift with light rubber, and a good fit for year round riding in your area (which is kinda my area). Works well for trail style riding and long XC..

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Another new bike thread, second in 3 weeks’ is closed to new replies.