• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Another New Bike Thread.
  • Daffy

I’ve been building this since November and this is the first new bike frame that I’ve EVER bought. I’ve built more than my fair share of bikes, but this turned out to be a little more complicated than I originally thought. Anyway, all done. Replacement for my Day One Alfine.

Genuinely chuffed with how it rides, MUCH better than the DOA.

binners

That sure is purty!

However, I feel you have let us all down. The shots you’ve used leave little room for criticism. There is nothing needs weeding, no fence panels in need of replacing, and no hideously tasteless soft furnishings. This goes against everything this forum stands for!

Now go away and do it properly this time. Use a neighbours house or garden if necessary 😉

karlsbug
    Free Member

Shed could do with a lick of paint….its faded around where there was a bench or something.

duckman

Both shed and fence posts need painting. Bike is pretty,how harsh is it off road?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What the hell is going on with that stem?

Daffy

wanmankylung – Member
    What the hell is going on with that stem?

??

Daffy

duckman – Member
    how harsh is it off road?

Don’t know yet, I’m told it’s supposed to be quite harsh, but I do have decent volume tyres, and will possibly buy an RDO seat post if it turns out to be really harsh.

Superficial
    Free Member

Mmmm that is pretty. What will you use it for?

paddy0091
    Free Member

very nic(h)e 8)

Daffy

Superficial – Member
    Mmmm that is pretty. What will you use it for?

Explorer/commuter.

After destroying yet another rear mech in the mud this morning, it’ll be nice to have the Di2 Alfine 11 up and running again.

jammydummy
    Free Member

That’s lovely, but quite heavy for an aluminium frame, no?

z1ppy

That’s just lovely, enjoy

Daffy

jammydummy – Member
    That’s lovely, but quite heavy for an aluminium frame, no?

It’s the Alfine/Dynamo hubs that add the weight. The Alfine hub alone is 1.7kg.

A DA cassette, CK hub and Di2 mechs would be only 0.8kg which would shave almost 2lbs off the top. Tubeless (to be completed next) will remove a further 1lb.

Without pedals (as all bikes are seemingly measured) and with the wheels running without tubes, the bike would be around 21.5lbs.

When you consider that my DOA was closer to 28lbs, it’s substantially lighter.

jammydummy
    Free Member

Ahh, I didn’t realise it was an alfine, thought it was SS.

What’s the spec?

AlexSimon

Looks great that. Weight looks excellent for an Alfine.

Di2 Alfine 11 – very fancy!

nickc

Tubeless (to be completed next) will remove a further 1lb.

Really?

Edit: Nice bike; as always

edhornby

that is really nice – have you got an EBB in it? you’ve got a pretty good chain tension without the usual dangly arm, or did you get lucky with a magic ratio/halflink ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I Like That 8)

neilforrow

Nice. Very nice.

However, I feel you have let us all down. The shots you’ve used leave little room for criticism. There is nothing needs weeding, no fence panels in need of replacing, and no hideously tasteless soft furnishings. This goes against everything this forum stands for!

Humm, not so fast. There are 5, possibly 6 bits of gravel that need sweeping up. Also the skirting board is not flush with the floor, and one of the screw holes needs filling and re-painting.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Oh my… That is nice.

Iain

ton

nice clean tidy purposefull……….very nice indeed.

Daffy

jammydummy – Member

What’s the spec?

Frame – Niner RLT 9 56cm
    BB – Niner BioCentric 30 EBB
    Rear Wheel – Shimano Alfine DI2 11Sp rear hub laced to H-Plus Son Archetype Rim with DT Revolution Spokes
    Front Wheel – Exposure Revo (Dynamo) front hub laced to H-Plus Son Archetype Rim with DT Revolution Spokes
    Crankset – Dura Ace 7950
    Brakes – Shimano R785 STI mated to Shimano XTR M9020 Callipers through Goodridge Hoses onto XTR/XT Ice Tech rotors
    Tyres – Vittoria Voyager Hyper 37c
    Seatpost – EC90
    Stem – EC90
    Bars – FSA Aero
    Saddle – Selle SLR XC
    Bar Tape – Bontrager

Everything except the brakes and the frame were second hand.

Daffy

edhornby – Member
    that is really nice – have you got an EBB in it? you’ve got a pretty good chain tension without the usual dangly arm, or did you get lucky with a magic ratio/halflink ?

It’s a Biocentric 30 EBB, I hadn’t quite tightened it enough before taking the shots, hence the slack.

Daffy

nickc – Member
    Tubeless (to be completed next) will remove a further 1lb.

Really?

The tubes are ~200g each – 454g is a pound, so maybe more like 0.75lbs once the milk is deducted.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Love Niner bikes,mate sells them. I assume steerer not cut until bar height established after a few rides,eh Daffy?.,you can’t stick it back on once you have cut it after all?. 🙂

Daffy

cliffyc – Member
    Love Niner bikes,mate sells them. I assume steerer not cut until bar height established after a few rides,eh Daffy?

Precisely. I took 40mm off, but have purposefully left it 40-60mm too long until I can dial it in.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Another New Bike Thread.’ is closed to new replies.