Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Another new bike post.
  • HughStew

Woohoo. It’s here at last.

One of these

Good things: It fits, I was worried an XL would be too big, but it’s fine; Seems to be well put together; Valves and logos are aligned; I like the fact that it looks normal with 29″ wheels, rather than like a giraffe riding a BMX.

Less good things: It took ages to arrive and communication about delays was rubbish ie: non-existent; The cables and hoses are massively long, I know too long is better than too short but this an XL and I could lose 6ins or so off most of them; The cassette had been put on by Geoff Capes, nice and tight is fine but that was ridiculous. So minor niggles really.

The dropper post remote and right brake mount is a single unit. I want to put my old XT brakes on it, but that would clutter up the bars (not a big problem as they are about 9 feet wide), is there a neat solution to this?

I’m off to ride it, after tidying up the excess vegetation of course.

timc
    Free Member

Looks nice mate

sssimon
    Free Member

that’s pretty spectacular value for money. Nice that it’s got the kinda spec that you could just buy and live with it without changing a pile of bits

robdob
    Free Member

Looks like a 26″ inch bike – must be a monster!!

HughStew

First ride thoughts.

I am coming from a 10 year old full sus (Giant VT), that I’ve only ridden about 5 times in the last 3 years, and a ss’ed Voodoo Wanga, my usual ride, so this is a very different bike.

I have a bit of a headache so just did 40 mins on a local trail, with not much climb or descending.

On first getting on my thought was “there’s so much wheel sticking out in front of me”. It is a much more upright position, this is the first bike I’ve had that only has a an inch or so drop from saddle to bars, initially I felt like I was somewhat precarious on top of it. The wide bars and short stem (I’m used to 120mm stem and 630mm bars) felt very peculiar. After a quick spin I can begin to see the advantages, but the bars are just so wide, I worry about clearance between trees when I take it into the woods.

On the ride itself I fluffed a small drop which has a turn immediately afterwards, that I haven’t fluffed for years, I think this was to do with not being used to the riding position, and worrying about the wide bars and “less manoeuverable” wheels. I hardly noticed riding up a step-up that I usually have to make a bit of an effort for. I can see that the more modern geometry has its uses, but I think it’ll take me a few rides to get used to it, and have full confidence in it. I’m not sure how much of the ride was determined by the modern geometry or the 29’er wheels, they certainly roll well.

I am really happy with the bike. The XT brakes are going on it asap as as the Avids didn’t inspire confidence and squealed like a stuck pig, and some larger squishier grips but that’s just a personal preference. I know that Fox don’t have a great rep in these here parts, but suspension technology has moved a long way in the last 10 years.

Apologies for the long post keyboard diarrhoea (Eewww).

petersnell
    Free Member

I like the look of these, can I ask how tall are you?

rOcKeTdOg

Did the top tube get like that from rough handling of the parcel? 😉

adamc
    Free Member

Looks very nice.

molgrips
    Free Member

45 degree seat angle is now the in thing is it? 😯

PiknMix
    Free Member

That’s a 29er? Wow looks great, enjoy matey.

HughStew

@petersnell
    I’m 6’4″, but I have relatively short legs. The online calculator suggested an L, but a mate has an L and while not ridiculously small it was a bit cramped for me. there’s quite a jump from L to XL, so I was a somewhat worried, however all is well. It has massive standover clearance.

@RocketDog
    It isn’t the most beautiful feature of the bike, but hey ho, it works ok.

@molgrip
    Should have gone to SpecSavers, I have a money off voucher if you’d like it.

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

Proper.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Another new bike post.’ is closed to new replies.