Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Another mronic driver thread
  • cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Aside from the other issues currently being discussed I was helpfully reminded of another of those quirky driving traits we all love today.

Queue of traffic going irritating slowly along a decent but narrow (for an A road) A road earlier (top end of the via Gelia if anyone knows it).

Get in a nice position to overtake 3 cars on a nice straight loads of time space and visibility, except the spanner at the front took objection to being overtaken and decided to accelerate with me to way over the speed limit, despite driving at 40 all the way earlier.

Made a perfectly straightforward overtake very awkward.

Potentially very very dangerous. Seems to happen quite a bit on the motorway too but at least there its very unlikely that anyone will run out of road…

Anyone else met this type of insecure little muppet on their rounds, or is it just me?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Well it is a race.. Can’t let people get the podium places

Cougar

decided to accelerate with me to way over the speed limit

At that point I’d have rolled off and let them go I reckon. Little justification for drag racing “way over the speed limit” against a bellend who wants to drive at half the speed limit but is prepared to drive way over it to prove a point.

jam-bo

This thread needs molgrips input.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    This thread needs molgrips input.

It’s not going to make progress without him.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

To be fair, we’re probably talking 75 so not that ridiculous but still, once your committed its difficult to change plan – especially if you think they might suddenly drop anchor too.

In the end it was fine but I ended up using much more of the road then I expected simply because one idiot didn’t like being overtaken.

I just don’t get the mentality. Fine, be a bit annoyed (though frankly that’s a bit daft too), but why pull such a dangerous stunt?

jam-bo

In hindsight, I should have waited my turn to post..

project
    Free Member

ITV 1 21.00 HRS,tonight drivers just like you

iainc

75 in a 60 ? That would be 6 points…. 😯

Drac

To be fair, we’re probably talking 75 so not that ridiculous

Yes it **** is.

2 people at fault here you and the other driver.

It’s not going to make progress without him.

Edukator
    Free Member

As you haven’t mentioned it I suppose that there wasn’t someone coming the other way who had to bury the brakes and then take to the grass to give you room to get through – I’ve had too.

I think you were the problem in this case OP. You launched into a high risk three-car overtake and didn’t pull back in when you could have as Cougar said. When you overtake you need to consider what other drivers might do because they don’t spend all their time checking their mirrors and may speed up or even pull out to overtake themselves.

Edit; at a guess you followed the three cars because there was a white line/bends/poor visibility then you pulled out when there was a straight – which the other driver accelerated along without even realising you were overtaking.

Cougar

75 in a 60 ? That would be 6 points….

An indicated 75 would probably be a speed awareness course.

Gary_M
    Free Member

25% over the speed limit, is this a troll!

Northwind

Obviously it’s an STW driving thread so everything will be everyone’s fault, but really, there’s never any excuse or justification for speeding up while being passed in this way. Even if it was purely coincidental- and that’s one long odds coincidence- you’re still supposed to check your surrounds before changing speed, no road user should be so oblivious.

As for tucking in behind- it’s the more conservative option but it’s not automatically safer, that depends on circumstances. But it does leave you immediately behind a dangerous driver. All other things being equal, that’s not the outcome I’d choose.

(for whatever reason, people love to try this with motorbikes… It’s ridiculous, I only had a little bike but there’s few cars that can make that work and most of those aren’t driven by the sort of bellend that needs to try and outrun someone on a bike. But still it happens)

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Yep. 75. Too fast but I was expecting to get to about 60 and be well clear.

This bit of road, after the junction. No cars coming the other way at any point in all this.

https://goo.gl/maps/NVgZVSDSRpB2

Point is, he was still going no more than 45 until he spied me overtaking.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

And by the way, 75 is a guess, and likely too high. I wasn’t paying much attention to the speedo given the circumstances.

Edukator
    Free Member

So you had just gone through a bend with a dangerous poor-visibility crossroads immediately after that a sensible driver would slow for and then accelerate away from. And perhaps not check the mirrors as he’d just done that for the junction.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nothing wrong in principle overtaking three at once, and that bit of road looks fine for it, but in the circumstances of this incident…

At that point I’d have rolled off and let them go I reckon.

…this.

richmtb

Just a thought Educator but maybe the OP is in a better position to opine on whether the driver sped up deliberately or not.

Anyway yes it utter bellendery and a peculiar form of bellendery that seems to be confined to these isles. Never witnessed it while driving abroad

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll

So you had just gone through a bend with a dangerous poor-visibility crossroads immediately after that a sensible driver would slow for and then accelerate away from. And perhaps not check the mirrors as he’d just done that for the junction.

(edit to fix the quotes!)

Or perhaps, given the fact that he’d already covered a couple of miles at a painfully-slow-on-that-particular-road pace and none of the other cars had overtaken despite having had plenty of opportunity to do so, it was reasonable to assume a. they wouldn’t now overtake and b. he wouldn’t suddenly decide to do a Lewis Hamilton impression just as someone did overtake.

Drac

And by the way, 75 is a guess, and likely too high. I wasn’t paying much attention to the speedo given the circumstances

I’d stop now if I were you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes I thought that myself, looks like a ‘I’m committed now and will pass whatever it takes’ situation.

stumpy01

OP – yeah, bloody annoying when people do this. Used to get it quite a lot driving home from a cycle round Thetford after work….catch an old fuddy duddy tottering along at 40, overtake and suddenly they are booting it to prevent you ‘getting in front’. Once past you get the flashing headlights and tooting so they can vent their anger.

FWIW, I’ll generally keep hoofing it if it’s safe to do so until I’ve completed the overtake. Yes, I’m a bad man.

Get it on the commute to work all the time – 70mph with the cruise control on catching a car up….overtake and before you get past it, it’s holding position alongside….gah!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The title of this thread is now really annying me.

Suggsey
    Free Member

It’s fine to plan to pass three vehicles on that stretch after the crossroads but part of my planning would be the anticipation of one of the other cars wishing to overtake. Having planned the manoeuvre and whilst passing each vehicle I would assess the next as to wether there was any change in hazard etc etc…the arsehat who no doubt had planned his overtake later than the OP, obviously took umbridge and felt he would play the arse. At that point if you are committed to the overtake of said arse and you are in an appropriate vehicle and there are no other hazards approaching ie the farm on the near side and the bends ahead with limited view and you have no alternative to roll off the accelerator and pull into the gap behind the arsehat then so be it.
    Maybe if the OP had taken it out of fifth gear and passed by all three faster the arsehat couldn’t have matched his acceleration 😆

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

Yes I thought that myself, looks like a ‘I’m committed now and will pass whatever it takes’ situation.

It was more of an ‘heres a good place to overtake, whats this **** doing, oh for **** sake’ situation.

Never any danger just really **** stupid.

It was just about at the point of having to cut back in but not quite and that’s what makes it worse, a perfectly safe manoeuvre made difficult by a pillock.

Predictable as it was, this thread wasn’t meant to be a dissection of my driving today, which frankly none of you can really comment on, unless you happened to be in the vicinity of Cromford at about 1200 today. It was meant to see if you had experienced people trying to block you from overtaking, which to me, seems dangerous.

crazy-legs

Get it on the commute to work all the time – 70mph with the cruise control on catching a car up….overtake and before you get past it, it’s holding position alongside….gah!

I see a related version on motorways where I’m driving along, cruise control on at 70 and I pass the same car 8 times because it’s gone from 50 to 80 to 55 to 70 to 60 to 90. Usually because the driver is trying to text at the same time.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Suggsey might have a point. I probably could have been a bit more aggressive in getting past but when there was so much space, it really didn’t seem necessary.

CFH – I agree. Mronic thread title really.

breadcrumb

Never admit to breaking the speed limit on STW.

Making progress is the term to use.

stumpy01

crzy-legs – yeah, probably not clear but my comment related to stretches of the A1 and A14 (2, 3 and 4 lane in parts) rather than doing 70 with he cruise control on single carriageway a-roads….. 😀

I think a lot of it is due to inattention.

Edukator
    Free Member

Having “driven” the previous two miles on Google earth:

There is “SLOW” written on the road before a bend followed by a cross roads with poor visibility. 45mph through there seems very reasonable.

In the previous two miles there are no double white lines along straight stretches so unless there was a continuous stream of on-coming traffic there were lots of opportunities to overtake, maybe one car at a time before you got to the slow section.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why overtake in a queue?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Get it all the time and knowing that had you braked he probably would have too there are only two things you could possibly have done. Which was the least unsafe option? If you had the room, definitely passing.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Edukator – you can only overtake one car at a time if there are gaps between them, which there weren’t.

Given this remarkable revelation of yours, that overtaking was possible earlier on, you would assume that if one of the other cars was intent on overtaking, then it would have done so already, seeing as they could overtake only one (or two) cars as opposed to three.

Edukator
    Free Member

Edukator – you can only overtake one car at a time if there are gaps between them, which there weren’t.

Just how long is your car? 5m? Even tail-gaters leave more than that.

You’ve also stated that it was the lead car that accelerated hard so a gap would have opened up between the lead and second car giving you plenty of space to pull in.

(unless the three of them were working together all with the specific aim of putting you in difficulty – seems unlikely)

What car do you drive BTW? It’s no doubt in here somewhere but it’s easier to ask.

wilburt
    Free Member

I may be stupid, incompetent and selfish but don’t get in the way of my god given right to get the biggest car possible on finance and drive however I want.

All the rest is irrelavant detail so **** **F

UK 2016.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll

Just how long is your car? 5m? Even tail-gaters leave more than that.

You’ve also stated that it was the lead car that accelerated hard so a gap would have opened up between the lead and second car giving you plenty of space to pull in.

(unless the three of them were working together all with the specific aim of putting you in difficulty – seems unlikely)

What car do you drive BTW? It’s no doubt in here somewhere but it’s easier to ask.

I’m not sure I quite get what your point is.

You seem to be suggesting that it was reckless to overtake three cars at once, but have no problem with muscling into a tiny gap between cars when overtaking.

There were no gaps between the cars prior to the point where I overtook so no, it was not possible to overtake one at a time.

Once overtaking all three, I am already alongside car number three by the time I notice he’s accelerating in an out of character and unexpected fashion, therefore no, I cant just cut in as he’s there, right alongside.

Two options, jam on the brakes and hope I can squeeze in or two finish the overtake, noting that the road is still clear, just annoyed at the f***wittery.

chewkw
    Free Member

My colleague always object to other people over taking him … hmmm … not sure why … he gets very angry. He would get a heart attack if he was in the far east coz everyone overtakes … 😆

Edukator
    Free Member

Third option, brake with the intention of pulling into the now very large gap and if he brakes to try and stop you, brake very hard and drop behind all three – if you do the maths you’ll find you have a better chance of survival by braking to a stop than persisting in an overtake with someone racing you. If something comes the other way the brake hard strategy has advantages:

A car has excellent deceleration and stopping distances are short.
    If you persist every second is a lot of distance covered.
    If you persist the final crash is going to be a big one resulting in serious injury or death for you and the victims coming the other way.
    If you brake, even if something comes the other way the odds are that they will see you and brake too. If the unlikely event of a collision speeds will be low.

Trying to accelerate out of trouble is the suicidal option.

slowoldman

I just had some arse overtake me on a single lane motorway link road. It was a giant sized 4×4 Audi is that’s relevant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Another mronic driver thread’ is closed to new replies.