Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • another middle aged sports car thread with a twist
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Alex – I used to own a Cappuccino for about 3 years. I am 5ft 6 though!

Loved it to bits, fast, great handling, superb brakes. Some arse nicked it to get home from the pub, and then smashed it to pieces, writing it off 👿

3 years later I was in the market for a new sports car. Test drove an Elise Mk 1 and Mk 3 MX5, BMW Z4

Elise was brilliant, didn’t like the BMW at all, stodgy big car feeling compared to other two. Mrs FD said no to the Elise, so ended up with a Mk 3 MX5 2.0 sport.

Although the handling was sublime, it just had no sole, and didn’t engage you as it should. I couldn’t recommend it to anyone. I later drove a Mk 2.5 and it was way better.

Not much will match the fun and character of the Cappuccino at the price you want to pay.. Other than an Elise.

If you want to know more about the Mk 3 ask away!

Alex

Ta. Shall take you up on that. I know we’re going to miss the Cappu, but I really want it to go to someone who’ll get more use of it than we will.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

hora – Member
    The S2000 is lovely but I’d shit myself if I drove it quickly.

Can you fit the equivalent of a works components angle headset to slacken it off???

thesurfbus
    Free Member

When I was Elise shopping last year, I went to see a £6k Elise, it looked like it had spent the last 6 months in the North Sea! I ended up spending 8K on a good original one, its a great car, reliable (really) and cheap to run.

midlifecrashes

I test drove an S2000, 3 series, MR2, SLK, Z3, Z4, Cooper S, Crossfire, Celica, Megane, Pugs, Audi A4 and TT.
    Bought this, MX5 Roadster Coupe, 1.8.

Hard top folds away in 12 sec. Proper full boot that isn’t affected by the folding roof, it has it’s own separate slot. Reliability, allegedly 38mpg. Easy to have loads of fun enjoying the handling and the open top without strange handling quirks or twitchyness. Not silly fast to get you into trouble and quiet and comfy round town. Only 5 speed on mine, maybe on the six speed 2.0 you can be quieter on motorway, but don’t know. I’ve had it three weeks and keep finding excuses to go the long way to places. Top has gone down for all but two journeys, the heater is great. It’s an 07 and came from a main dealer(not Mazda) for under £6k, and costs £233 a year to insure. Just a great fun car, I didn’t want either a hobby or a money pit and lots of the things in my list seemd like they would be horrendous to run. S2000 was nice too, but felt dull at low revs, but to make it fun also made it very illegal most places.

Alex

TurnerGuy – made me laugh 🙂

MLC – that’s about what we’re looking for. I do like the folding roof on yours. Looks like a good price as well, can I ask you the mileage on it?

midlifecrashes

68000 miles, two owners, FMSH. Mazda has a good service history database you can access if paper docs aren’t with a car, but mine had every scrap and receipt.

hora
    Free Member

Can you fit the equivalent of a works components angle headset to slacken it off???

😆 I mean its something to respect on damp roads.

I know what would happen, I’d go shopping looking at all the above suspects and..

I’d comeback with another mk2.5. Slower than probably all the above but **** me its amazing fun.

I still remember the foggy nights driving with the roof down, the roof down at night on the motorway. The best time to drive such a car with the roof down is at night or in fog IMO.

When sunny you’d be baked alive.

Alex

Thanks MLC. Gives me something to work on. I do like the idea of the retractable roof. Less of them tho.

Hora – you’re a strange one 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Try it, you feel the swirl, the darkness is inky and seems to be on your shoulders/all around you. Its eery- almost like a night ride 8)

The fog feels like you are in a 70’s horror film

pictonroad

For trundling to the pub with the top down and the Mrs in tow you want noise and low down grunt, S2000 is great but it’s fun in a throw it around way that doesn’t endear you to anyone but yourself and other teenage boys/middle aged men.

Something that makes a great noise, mileage is low so fuel consumption barely an issue. The Jags with a straight pipe at the back sound INCREDIBLE, chap on my road has one. Anything else V8 would be good. Any new shape mustangs in budget yet? Z4 with a decent exhaust another good call..

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mlc – I have to say that’s a nice car especially with the retractable roof

molgrips
    Free Member

For trundling to the pub with the top down and the Mrs in tow you want noise and low down grunt

I would say noise and grunt won’t endear you to the Mrs in that situation either. Being driven fast as a passenger is not really fun no matter what the car, nor is going fast with the top down.

In that scenario all you need is no roof and no kids in the back 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘another middle aged sports car thread with a twist’ is closed to new replies.