Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Another Maxxis sidewall split – what alternatives?
  • stevemorg2

Got back from a ride last night with a split in the sidewall of my Hi-Roller – plenty of life left on the treads but it looks like i’ll have to chuck it. I’ve had the same with Minions – the tyres perform really well but aren’t lasting so I need to look at alternatives.
    I suppose I could go dual ply but I don’t think the riding I do justifies it – I rarely puncture and would rather keep the weight down a little
    Any suggestions? – 2.2 – 2.4 to go on Mavic 521s on an Orange 5 used for local trails and trail centres

Jeffus
    Free Member

High Roller II Exo TR seem to be ok for me so far, side walls are definiteley thicker , I took out the side walls on my two new Advanatge tyres at Penmachno , so tried the new Exo Tr , they are heavier though.

bland

My old advantages in 2.4 and 2.25 flavour have rubber on the sidewalls however 2.1 don’t. Now have they changed the amount of rubber used recently or are the bigger ones constructed differently. Agree that some are like paper

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    danielgroves
    Free Member

If you’re the running sly-ply ones it could be worth switch to dual-ply. They’re a hell of a lot stronger in the sidewalls.

docrobster
    Free Member

Spesh 2bliss.
    Purgatory does what a HR does

Northwind

Specialized Butcher Control maybe? It’s a better Minion in just about every way (and also made by the same people) but, only thing I would say is they’re relatively lightweight. Still tough but if you’re killing singleply maxxi you may do the same to a Control.

SX version is heftier but tough as old boots.

andyrm
    Free Member

Onza Ibex – very similar to a High Roller 2, decent weight and proper bulletproof sidewalls.

And they’re cheap too at £30 a pop.

mboy
    Free Member

They do a “Grid” version of the Spesh Butcher and Purgatory now. Tougher than the Control, but not as hefty as the SX. Probably inbetween a Single and Dual Ply Maxxis weight wise too. Also similar to a Minion tread.

amplebrew

Maxxis make great tyres but they need the EXO protection.

tomkerton
    Free Member

+1 for the 2bliss Purg, I’ve been impressed with it since it went on a month or so ago at comfortable pressures and I ride rocky tracks.

dirtydog
    Free Member

amplebrew – Member

Maxxis make great tyres but they need the EXO protection.

Posted 1 hour ago #Report-Post

I agree with this.

yoshimi

Purgatory have rubbish sidewalls as I found out today…I’m thinking about biting the bullet and going dual ply on the rear, just sick of forking out money on tyres that have loads of tread but sliced sidewalls

bland

Ah just realised mine are Exo!

mrphil
    Free Member

Currently running Minions 2.5 (60a DualPly Exo) front and 2.35 MaxxPro rear. 100kg rider on my Alpine 160

Sidewalls are tough, ran the 2.4 HR2 with EXO for 2 years and took a beating. Still have it as a spare.

Ignore the weight really as what is a 100gms extra for a better sidewall.

ferrousandy
    Free Member

I’m running Schwalbe Nobby Nic Gatestar 4x, they have a snakeskin reinforced sidewall, seem to be holding up well on rocky moorland stuff. Grip like nothing else on hard surfaces, drift predictably when it gets soggier…

Aristotle
    Free Member

Fashion a repair by stitching with dental floss and patching over with a patch made from a piece of old tyre.

It works well enough to keep tubeless tyres inflated. I did the West Highland Way on a Noby Nic repaired in this way with no issues.

stevemorg2

Anyone have any experience of the On One tyres ?

tomaso
    Free Member

Dual ply is the answer

kimbers

ive raced the ukgravity enduro series with a chunky monkey this year – its been very impressive and gash free

rickon
    Free Member

On one tyres are ace, they have exo sidewalls the same as Maxxis, they feel pretty bombproof for an xc tyre. All the guides in the Alps this year were running them, and I’ve a pair at home on the Sultan. The sidewalls look as new, whereas my Conti Mk2 protections at £45 a piece look like I’ve been rubbing a cheese grater against them!

mekon
    Free Member

Super gravity hans damph

ajt123
    Free Member

Geax tyres are pretty indestructible.

Geax sturdy – it’s all in the name.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience of the On One tyres ?

If it’s more rocky than gloopy where you usually ride then I’d say go for it.

They’re not terrible in the mud either though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Another Maxxis sidewall split – what alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.