Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Another lights thread
  • Mat

I got my ayups back in 2008 and at a combined brightness of 600 odd lumens they seem to be an order of magnitude less bright than what’s on offer today. I was thinking of a new set of lights, I’m torn though, do I go for fancy along the lines of the Hope R8/Exposure Six Pack/MaXx D or do I go for something like mtb batteries (Lumen 2200)

Obviously I realise there’s a gulf in price between these, the exposure stuff always seems appealing because of the self contained design and nice looking clamps it’s always a pain messing about with mounts and wires. Is it a big weight to be putting through the bars on a wee clamp? They do look gorgeous mind!

Any thoughts on these options? Any other suggestions?

jk1980
    Free Member

Have just got the Maxx-d and am pretty impressed. I don’t have much to compare it against but I can’t really imagine that you’d need anything brighter. The controls are a bit of a faff though on the new one. It’s available with a fair chunk off the RRP at Westbrook cycles at the mo

imnotverygood

I started with ayups, then went chinese and while they certainly light up the night, I do find the batteries a bit of a faff. Some spare cash meant I have gone down the Joystick/ Maxx D route & it certainly looks a lot more neat on the bike.

shaungero
    Free Member

I had my first night ride with my new mtb batteries lumenator (2200 lumens) on Monday night and it was every part of awesome. Was a 3.5 hour ride and it only dropped to the 70% mark in the last 15 minutes. I feel it was the brightest light of the group as well and there were plenty of exposure lights on bars. £105 I feel you can’t go wrong.

tomaso
    Free Member

Hope have some new lights out with the R4+ and the R2 which I guess have XMLS and not XPGS in

Mat

hmm it basically boils down do I want to splash out for something tarty or not! I love the look and simplicity of the exposures but the bang for your buck with the mtb batteries stuff seems fantastic.

Shaungero, how do you find the mount with the lumenator? do they stay put?

shaungero
    Free Member

When I put it on the bars I thought it might of had a little movement but after a big ride I found it didn’t move at all. I have read that the hope universal mount work with it as well if you wanted it to be more secure. As of the other bands your looking into mtb batteries are meant to be awesome with any warranty issues if ever needed too.

pdw
    Free Member

I do find the batteries a bit of a faff

There’s a lot to be said for bottle batteries. Much less faff than fiddly straps, and you can get 8 cells in a bottle for huge runtimes if you really want.

mrmo
    Free Member

what state are your ayup batteries in? you can buy new lights at about £50each (less some discount for being an existing customer I believe)

Mat

I think my batteries are ok, it seems to be £56 per set which are 600 lumens each, so that’d be £112+ for 1200 lumens compared £135 for 2200 lumens with mtb batteries.

Any details on the ayup existing customer stuff? I couldn’t find anything on the website or do you need to contact them?

IA

Mat – I just treated myself to a Joystick (one of the new brighter ones).

As to if it’s “worth” spending the extra, up to you. I will say however I think the exposure kit is good value.

It’s not cheap, but it is very well made and thought out. Great mounts, great ui – I like being able to program to have the modes I want and only those modes. It feels really robust, and the quality/spread of light is great as well as the quantity. Also the no faff is pretty good.

So yes, expensive, but also good. You’d be fine with cheaper lights I’m sure, and I’ve had a light from MTB batteries before and it was decent. But sometimes it’s nice to have nice things, and if you can afford it why not? Just decide if you want to spend the money, I don’t think you’d think you’d wasted it. Also check the exposure outlet store for cheaper last-years models.

mrmo
    Free Member

ayup loyalty program.

It might be worth a query at least.

just checked the price is c£40-45 per light, still not the brightest at only 700 lumens per light, but a reasonable boost, IF your batteries are in decent condition.

Personally, I’m against spending more than £30 on any light, where they can’t come up with anything better than a rubber strap to secure it to the bars

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Personally, I’m against spending more than £30 on any light, where they can’t come up with anything better than a rubber strap to secure it to the bars

Simple, effective, non slip, quick to change between bikes…. 😆

Simple, effective, non slip, quick to change between bikes….

Simple and effective, easy to change, yes.

Non slip? You’re having a laugh aren’t you?

trail_rat
    Free Member

another exposure fanboi here…..

i also like that they put back into the sport that i compete in and dont just take out by competing on price to the bottom of the market.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Non slip? You’re having a laugh aren’t you?

Nope, smallest of the 2 bands on my Lumenators, at the thickest point of the bars, ie right at the stem – doesn’t move. And doesn’t move on the helmet mount either.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

i also like that they put back into the sport that i compete in and dont just take out by competing on price to the bottom of the market

I’d like to think so, the cost of their lights (I know, I have some!) 😀

chip
    Free Member

I have developed a light fetish this year. Bought a lezyne mega drive for commuting and road as I like the ease of just clipping on and off.
    And for the mtb I bought a new 6 cell battery from mtbbatteries to use with my solarstorm x2 and joystick mk10 for on my helmet.

The battery was not cheap £76 (compared to 6cell eBay prices)
    But I believe you are getting a quality product in comparison at a fair price.
    I would not hesitate in buying from them again if/when my solarstorm packs up.

Mat

thanks mrmo, yeah definately worth giving them an e-mail

Dammit IA, your meant to be the voice of reason…

mattyfez

Can’t fault my twin cree solar storm tbh, I had to buy a new battery pack for £7 as I managed to loose the original one,or it got nicked, not entirely sure.

I might invest in a bigger battery pack but can’t really justify it as my night riding is generally limited to an hour or two between recharge opportunities.

rollodes
    Free Member

These are pretty amazing all in one options. They attach to the bar firmly, but release quite quick. have a digital read-out for battery time, are very bright (twin XMl l2) nad no snaggy wires. They also have a rather good remote boost button which smack the beam up to full poer for as long as you jhold it for, which is very useful. Fenix BR30R form Aliexpress

It’s brighter than myold yinding and very well made. £65 is a good price too I think.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Another lights thread’ is closed to new replies.