Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Another Lights question….your opinion please
  • teamslug
    Free Member

I know its wrong time of year to ask about lights but as mountain mayhem looms closer i need to sort some replacement lights.I refuse to pay stupid money and have narrowed it down to a gloworm x2 version 2 for my head ( currently 130 quid) and either one of smudges mtb batteries lights (£67) or an ebay special inton xml u2 from torchy at £80…or will two of smudges lights one on bars one on helmet do the job considering they are half the price of the other setup. I realise that backup from mtb batts seems second to none as does gloworm’s….whats everyone think?..(hoping to maybe get 3 laps in during night so that could be anything from 3 to 5 hours riding in dark)

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have no direct experience of any of the lights you are considering but I do build my own lights and follow most of the main commercial offerings via forums like MTBR, CPF etc.

The Gloworm light seems very good value for money but they have had some teething troubles with it as it is still relatively new. They seem to be actively listening to feedback from users and it will eventually be a very good light.

I don’t know much about Smudge’s light other than it is a single XM-L LED. These tend to have not worked out very well in terms of throw but the beam shot on Smudge’s site seems to be quite good. He also has a very good reputation amongst the night cycling fraternity.

I don’t have any knowledge of Torchy’s light I’m afaid.

At the end of the day if it were my money I would go with a pair of Smudge’s lights. He is UK based and will sort any problems very quickly. There is also something to be said for getting two of the same lights because battery connections, chargers etc. will be compatible so will mean less faffing about and bits will be interchangeable.

Hope that helps.

cp

2x Smudges units will be more than enough light output. You may need to consider additional batteries, particularly if racing solo…

teamslug
    Free Member

Thats a good point cp…could get 4 batteries and 2 head units and would all be interchangeable. Do you have these lights then?….not going solo but we’re hoping for 20+ laps between 4…

smudge
    Free Member

Teamslug, send me an email with what you are after and we can discuss it further. No problem extra batteries but may have a better option for you.

Smudge

Thanks for the recommendations too 8)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Another Lights question….your opinion please’ is closed to new replies.