Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Another legal question: fees
  • Creg

Had a dispute with a neighbour. Letters were exchanged but the case never went to court. We backed down in the end as it simply wasnt worth fighting.

Can they make us pay their fees?

I seem to think not but if any solicitors/legal bods here can clarify that would be great.

Thanks

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don't see how – surely the court decides who pays costs, not your neighbour…

Creg

Thats what I thought, but another neighbour seems to think they can make us pay their fees.

Plus the neighbour we had the dispute with will probably go all out to make us pay for it as he's a bit of a nob

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don't see how they could at all without an agreement or costs award as part of a court order.

Tell them to shove it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would let him go 'all out'. Why would a court award him costs after you had the good grace to back out of any (costly for all concerned) court appearance anyway?

Creg

Why would a court award him costs after you had the good grace to back out of any (costly for all concerned) court appearance anyway?

No idea.

Will be funny if he tries

antigee

if i was them and you started it then backed off i'd probably ask for my costs and i think a county court claim would go their way

if they started it and you gave in then maybe i'd be checking if my house insurance will deal with lots have a "free" legal service for neighbour disputes or just tell them to eff of as they got what they wanted and presumably committed to the cost at some point

(not a legal opinion)

highclimber
    Free Member

if it didn't go to court I can't see how they would get you to pay their solicitors fees without taking you to court for them?

if they ask just be friendly and come to a compromise of sorts.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Can they make us pay their fees?

No. Tell them to shove it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

(not a legal opinion)

AKA "I have no idea what I am talking about so please ignore me" in your case I think.

Why bother? Seriously? I might as well give a view on a microbiology Q!

Creg

Thanks folks, very useful as always 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So – what was it all about then? Was it leylandi? It's always the bloody leylandi.

Creg

Just a boundary dispute. We consulted him on the position of a new fence, he said "do what you want". We put the fence in, he started whinging.

ourmaninthenorth

No. Tell them to shove it.

I detect the whiff of some real lawyers on this thread, and not just the usual internerd types.

Drac

Plenty info Here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Another legal question: fees’ is closed to new replies.