Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Another LBS servicing price rant…
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Being what I consider to be a semi competent home mechanic I decided to extend the air shaft on my forks to get a bit more travel. Looked a fairly easy job, so sourced the part, bought a set of circlip pliers and off I went.

Seemed simple enough, stuck them back together and had a few bounces .. all of a sudden..’pop’ ..the seals popped out the lowers.

Now given I’d followed the instructions online to the letter I thought screw this, I’ll just take them to the LBS (Pedals in Edinburgh) and pay the 50 odd quid it’ll cost for them to take them apart and reassemble.

Anyhow, Went to pick them up today…guess how much it cost…£20 friggin quid…! My Circlip pliers cost £15….

How dare they charge so little for such a job. If I’d know this beforehand I could have saved myself a whole evening of home tinkering, £15 quid on pliers I’ll never use again, and got them done properly in the first place…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

😀

scaredypants

bet they’ve nicked all the internals and you’re riding on a couple of marshmallows

km79
    Free Member

So you got a £30 discount in exchange for advertising them on here? 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

So you got a £30 discount in exchange for advertising them on here?

🙂

I think its only fair to call out good service and value, especially given LBSs on here tend to get such a hard time.

The boys in Pedals know there stuff, don’t go often but when I do the work is spot on.

My only gripe is that they didn’t tell me they’d do it for 20 quid when I went in to get some shock oil prior to trying to sort it myself (they gave me that for free though, so can’t really comnplain!)

🙂

doncorleoni
    Free Member

20 frikkin quid plus 15 = 45! Robbing thieving barstewards.

If only you learnt to do the Job yourself. Save time and money.

Next time just double check the circlip has popped into place = saving of 45 quid.

Edit… Smiley face missing before you get upset 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

20 frikkin quid plus 15 = 45! Robbing thieving barstewards.

If only you learnt to do the Job yourself. Save time and money.

Next time just double check the circlip has popped into place = saving of 45 quid.

Well i’d still have had to pay the 15 for the pliers !

Also…whats 20 and 15…..;-)

doncorleoni
    Free Member

85! 🙂 missed the tenner for the biscuits..

tpbiker
    Free Member

technically I could have saved myself a fiver if I had the skilz 🙂

Although would have prob paid that for the oil…

🙂

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Na its all good 🙂 appreciate you got great service. Just next time check that circlip 😉 sometimes though it’s just better and easier to take it in and let someone else sort it.

wilburt
    Free Member

You’re all awesome 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

circlip I checked..

nipping the seals, not so much..

Shackleton

Yeah, pedals customer service is shaky. After all they only paid for half of the airfreight from Taiwan to get me the first Banshee Phantom into the uk in time for my holiday. And just to rub it in they deprived me of the joy of fitting my headset too.

Edit – from recent experience on the referendum thread I feel I should point out that this post contains sarcasm.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Shackleton, I was waiting for someone to come along and flame me for this post..

Clearly not subtle enough..

🙂

CheesybeanZ

How very dare they .

frankconway

Yeah, LBS – bunch of ripoff artists…..

Hah, LBS & independent mechanics get my vote every time; they’ve got the skills, the tools, the willingness to put up with t*ts like me who don’t get it ‘quite right’ at home, they warrant their work, they talk bike with any number of boring old farts and they share their knowledge.

Best to avoid them 😆

mark90
    Free Member

Money spent on tools is never wasted, and if you can justify a new power tool for a job even better 🙂

I’d waste more time going to/from a LBS than changing an air shaft myself, but I would drink less beer, so there is a saving there.

bruneep

£7 posted for the circlip pliers?

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

pinetree
    Free Member

Oh screw you, OP. I was genuinely looking forward to a rant with half the facts missing.

Got a pack of biccies in and everything…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Another LBS servicing price rant…’ is closed to new replies.