Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Another "HOW MUCH???" thread..
  • DezB
    Free Member

I say “thread” but it’ll probably just be me having a whinge.

Anyway – £15, yes FIFTEEN QUID to change a watch battery??? When did that happen then?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When you forgot how top pop the back off with a knife and do it yourself!

🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When did that happen then?

I don’t know, when DID it happen? Did you not have a watch with you?

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve just been quoted £136.20 to replace the a hose on my turbo. This is a week after a £680 hit for service and MOT. I think I’m going to puke.

I laugh at your watch battery replacment cost.

midlifecrashes

Poundshop for card with 20 batteries, kitchen drawer for selection of prying implements, sorted.

DezB
    Free Member

You may laugh (well actually you may not), but I had to get 2 watch batteries changed! One them was in a watch that cost about £15!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had to pay 25 for mine to be done as the case needed a new oring and some glue to seal it again. I tried to do it myself but snapped 2 screwdrivers 1 knife blade and slashed my hand. Bloody fossil watches.

dogbert
    Free Member

just changed a gshock battery for a couple of quid, the whole waterproofing thing is a scam, so i went with what the lovely interweb told me and not had a problem

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah the Diesel one is similar to a Fossil, no way I could get in the back of that. Batteries are about 30p on Ebay aren’t they?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the whole waterproofing thing is a scam

was quoted about £50 for the same reason. decided it was probably a scam, so did myself then tested it in swimming pool.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Actually, what’s the point in having a watch at all these days? We’re all sitting in front of a computer that has the time in the bottom right corner, and we all have phones with the time on (And most modern phones set the time automatically, so they’re more accurate than any watch…)

I’ve not worn a watch for about 15 years apart from when I was running for timing myself.

DezB
    Free Member

we all have phones with the time on

I hardly ever take my phone anywhere. (Even though its a work one and I’m supposed to be contactable.)
    Still it’s easier to change the battery in a bloody phone eh? Maybe I should velcro it to my wrist. 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Actually, what’s the point in having a watch at all these days?

I’ve not worn a watch for about 15 years

My sentiments too – but I still find myself drawn to buying a really nice ‘forever’ watch and keep walking by a local jewellers to look at a Tag I have had my eyes on for the last couple of years.

BigJohn

I’m always tempted to go into one of those shops that advertises “Watch Batteries Fitted” and ask if I can stay and watch.

Just the same as the local big pub that used to think footballers were vampires. They had a sign saying “Man Utd – Arsenal. Live on Plasma”.

And I wonder how many people took up their offer last year “World Cup – Live Here”.

That coat, hat, scarf and gloves over there are mine, thanks.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m always tempted to go into one of those shops that advertises “Watch Batteries Fitted” and ask if I can stay and watch.

LOL 🙂

I always have a smile to myself at the ‘Free Cash Machines’ signs.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I say “thread” but it’ll probably just be me having a whinge.

Anyway – £15, yes FIFTEEN QUID to change a watch battery??? When did that happen then?

My wife has a Tag and an Omega, the battery changes are an eye watering £50 – £60 a pop.

The waterproofing isn’t a myth, well not as far as my Tissot was concerned, had a cheapo battery change and it **** under water.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My sentiments too – but I still find myself drawn to buying a really nice ‘forever’ watch and keep walking by a local jewellers to look at a Tag I have had my eyes on for the last couple of years.

I ride with a bloke that deals in and and repairs high end watches. Not £5000 tat, nahhh, £70000+ and the like. Cartier etc.

I asked him what he wore, did he own one? “Nope. Cheap Casio” he replied as he took it off and banged it on the table “becasue you can do this to it!”

🙂

I stopped wearing one when I started rioding a motorbike. Jackets and gloves fasten round the wrists and it all got far too bulky, and I coundn’t see it anyway.

allthepies
    Free Member

LOL @ BigJohn, very good Sir.

z1ppy

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Actually, what’s the point in having a watch at all these days?

I’ve not worn a watch for about 15 years

My sentiments too

I think this everytime there a knob size competition watch thread on here. I do own one, a nice one I got from my gran on my 21st, batteries dead and as I used it maybe once during it’s last battery life, I can’t see the point of changing it.

I ride with a bloke that deals in and and repairs high end watches. Not £5000 tat, nahhh, £70000+ and the like. Cartier etc.

I asked him what he wore, did he own one? “Nope. Cheap Casio” he replied as he took it off and banged it on the table “becasue you can do this to it!”

That I like, a lot 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Actually, what’s the point in having a watch at all these days? We’re all sitting in front of a computer that has the time in the bottom right corner, and we all have phones with the time on

You can call me a luddite if you like, but whilst I own a phone, when I do (rarely) have it in my pocket, it’s still far less convenient than checking my wrist. Meanwhile I might be sitting in front of a computer with a clock right now (given taskbar auto hide I still have to move the mouse to see it), but even though I spend most of my time sitting in front of computers in work, I’d have to type “date” to get them to tell me the time, and the clock isn’t necessarily correct anyway.

xiphon
    Free Member

I ride with a bloke that deals in and and repairs high end watches. Not £5000 tat, nahhh, £70000+ and the like. Cartier etc

Does he live up Alderley Edge way? If so, he might know a friend of mine (who was telling me about his high-end antique watch business)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Nearly fourteen quid for a strip of stick on plastic strip to replace the worn seal on the bottom of my shower screen

POS fell off within a week and I followed all the instructions to the letter, now bought a proper clip on job for 17 quid posted and its fine. Taking the first pee poor effort back to Focus tomorrow for a refund, definitely not of merchantable quality

As for watches, still wearing my 30 year old Seiko Automatic, no batteries and just keeps ticking along

I’m always tempted to go into one of those shops that advertises “Watch Batteries Fitted” and ask if I can stay and watch

How about “kids eat free” would love to take a few nippers in and say go on feed them then please

I had a relatively cheap watch get water inside from a bodged back st shop battery change years ago.

Costs me a fiver at a reputable independant jewellers in my local town. Would much rather pay that than risk screwing the seals by doing it myself.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Another "HOW MUCH???" thread..’ is closed to new replies.