Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Another Hope XC hub axle sheared. Fault or fitting fault?
  • rockhopper70

Around 8 months ago the axle on my hope xc hub split in half, after there was some teethy grinding noises coming from it.
    Bought and fitted a new one along with new bearings as a precaution.
    Now, after another period of teethy grind noise (and the axle wasn’t split last week) I’ve looked again today and it’s split.
    The split is between the two bearings in the hub body, closer to the cassette side bearing.

Just about to hit the button for another but I’ll be brassed off if it only lasts a few months.

Is it worth sending to hope to look at, fit the axle and bearings, give it once over?

anagallis_arvensis

Happend to minecyears ago. Hope sent me a new one

mildbore

They do seem a bit prone to breaking. I’ve just replaced my mate’s xc axle which sheared after a bearing seized with all the wet we had.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had one XC hub that went through 3 axles before self destructing.
    I’ve got another that’s n vet been touched and has only ever been used in the Alps, Wales, Scotland etc. Proper mountains

My own opinion is that you can get a bad one somehow, which just snaps axles for some odd reason when another is perfect.

coatesy
    Free Member

What bike? My ’07 Five used to eat XC axles for fun (earlier and later models were fine).

rockhopper70

It’s on a 2004 Jekyll.
    I am mindful that I might have done something wrong when I fitted the last one as the original axle lasted about 6 years.
    Having said that, I am fairly confident I fitted them right.
    Also wonder if using budget bearings had anything to do with it, if an inboard one ran smoother than the outboard and started twisting forces on it.
    Same budget bearings didn’t last too long in the lefty axle but skf ones now in are still smooth despite the winter,
    I’ll certainly be fitting skf in the hub next time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How were your budget bearings when you removed them.

Used to see a number of damaged hope xcs back when they were a staple.

Inner bearing being siezed or as good as used to be commonplace amongst them. As above though there was the odd unexplained hub that would eat axles and bearings for fun.

rockhopper70

Rough. Grumbly.
    Still turning but lumpy, if that makes sense.

rockhopper70

Although I said budget, they were a brand, but not top whack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another Hope XC hub axle sheared. Fault or fitting fault?’ is closed to new replies.