Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another home network (broadband) question
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Should any of the lights on our Virgin Super Hub 2 be flashing at all when no devices are switched on (bearing in mind that we have Apple devices with Push switched on and those are always on, even if we are not using them).

Just trying to work out if someone is using our network (as it seems unreasonably slow at the moment and the lights are constantly flashing).

mrjmt
    Free Member

Dont know how you’d do it on the virgin router but you should be able to see a list of connected devices if you log into the router.

sadmadalan

Login to the Virgin router and look at the connected devices. If you are not sure of who is valid, delete all the connections and then change the password. It is a pain to go round changing all the devices with the passwords, but it should give peace of mind.

On the other hand I have a SH2 and it appears to flash when I know all the connected devices are powered down, so it may just be a SH2 feature!

somouk
    Free Member

I would imagine it’s normal as my dads does it all the time.

As has been mentioned, login and look at the connected devices to confirm it.

johndoh
    Free Member

I shall do that – just looked at how to do it and it seems simple enough.

Apparently they are completely insecure for about 7 seconds during start-up so someone could have got on the network.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Apparently they are completely insecure for about 7 seconds during start-up so someone could have got on the network

Nope. Just, no.

Change the password if you’re worried.

Flickering lights are normal and not a sign of anyone on the network. The router will be trying to send packets even without devices connected or the router connected to the net.

Of course, log on to the router and see who’s connected (not that a list of MACs will be especially useful). Changing the password to keep your mind at rest is easy to do though.

johndoh
    Free Member
    Cougar

Just trying to work out if someone is using our network (as it seems unreasonably slow at the moment

Switch off the wifi, use a wired device. Still slow?

johndoh
    Free Member

Have no wires to connect to a wired device!

Cougar

Really? Good gods, would you like me to post you one?

(Did the router not come with one, even?)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another home network (broadband) question’ is closed to new replies.