Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another helmet question
  • mattjevans
    Free Member

Is there any downside (apart from potentially looking like a tosser, which I couldn’t care less about) to wearing a (cheap) fullface helmet for trail riding as it gets colder to keep the ears/head warm?

jam-bo

it would have to be about -20 before i’d wear a full face for xc riding

rocketman
    Free Member

Is there any downside

Not really. I quite like my old 661 Evo it is a typical beginner’s FF – wide aperture, reasonable venting, not too heavy – more of an AM lid with a chin piece and a big visor than a proppa full-on full face.

I wear it whenever I want to it is pretty good during the winter nice and cosy when the weather is foul.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It restricts your breathing and your peripheral vision

Just buy a skull cap (a tenner from endura link) or wear a beanie under your XC helment. The Endura cap is really warm, it has to be pretty cold to need one. In typical cold autumn weather I use the singletrack neck thingy if my head gets cold.

molgrips
    Free Member

Very thin (ie silk or similar) balaclava is all I’ve ever needed. Better than a full face lid I’d think. Better than a cap because it keeps your face and cheeks warm. If I am breathing really hard I pull it down over my mouth, otherwise it goes up over my nose.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I’ve got a skullcap thing, will see how it goes once we get below 5, though (despite having skied almost all my life) I’m still a wimp for cold ears

I was thinking of an O’Neal Fury

What I’d really like is something like the Urge RealJet, but not at the price of the Urge RealJet

Jam bo have you ever actually been in -20…?

alexxx
    Free Member

What sort of questions that Matt? I’ve ridden in -35 in France, It’s not the cold that does it – its the wind and the damp

ads678

I saw a guy riding through Leeds centre this morning on a road bike with a 661 FF on! seen him a few other times as well. not sure whether it’s cause it was a bit colder this morning or whether he just likes it, but a buff usually sorts me out. and it’s not cold enough for that yet!!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

If the Urge RealJet is the sort of thing you’re after, try and pick up a Troy Lee D2 open face from the ‘bay?

mattjevans
    Free Member

-35C and windy? Do you still have all the skin on your face Alexxx? (for clarity, I am not being rude I am referring to the risk of frostbite!) I quite happily pack it in (on a bike) at -5.

I’ve skied at -25 and won’t again. Too much pain for too little gain

mattjevans
    Free Member

Thanks for the D2 suggestion, I hadn’t seen those before.

Why did they discontinue them I wonder

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another helmet question’ is closed to new replies.