Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Another GPS Tread – Garmin Edge 705
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

Sorry for another GPS thread, I’ve been using the iPhone for GPS tracking (strava / distance / ascent) and find it to be unreliable e.g failure to log the route or no 3g signal when I need a map.

The Garmin 705 can be had for £190 with cadence and heart rate – is there anything I need to be aware of
    , shortcomings etc?

druidh
    Free Member

I have a Dakota 20, a Smartphone (HTC) and an Edge 705. The latter is still my choice for road riding. I have the City Navigator maps, as the base mapping is pretty pants. However, I believe you can install the OpenStreetMap mapping to improve that.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Do you have any experience of the off road maps? I’ve read various threads about open source / mtb communities developing maps for the Garmins.

I plan to use it on both my road and MTB for every ride rather than using the iPhone or my old heart rate monitor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

705 is now out of production, replaced by the 800.

The OS maps should be good but check what you get as the price rockets to buy them after the event.

Just got the 500 setup with the Cadence/HR for the missus. Looking at the sensor i’m not sure its as suitable for full sus/muddy/rocky rides as the pedal has to move past the sensor and the sensor has to line up with the spoke magnet to get readings. I have them mounted quite close

need to have a go on the MTB but not convinced about it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the plus side the quater turn mounts mean it can go on lots of bike you just have cadence on one. The Cadence also means it works in a trainer too.

hugor
    Free Member

I’ve been using the sensor for years on my full suss mtb’s. Havnt had problems with the spoke magnet/sensor but the crank magnet seems to fall off frequently.

I used the 800 with topo GB 1:50k. Extremely useful for following preplanned routes. Its got me out of trouble when lost etc or when my legs were shagged and I just needed to get the quickest route back to the car. For off piste exploration I’d probably get something with a bigger screen like the Dakota.

druidh
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be wanting to use an Edge 705 for off-road navigation. Small screen – rubbish maps.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another GPS Tread – Garmin Edge 705’ is closed to new replies.