Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Another going tubeless query.
  • Jenga
    Free Member

So I've read MBR and got their guide to going ghetto. Sounds OK, apart from getting the tyres to seal. I've no access to a compressor. Are all tyres the same, or are there some that are harder to get over the rim than others? I'm thinking if they are hard to put on then they would be easier to seal. Is that a sensible thought? If so what towpath/tarmac types are there out there.

njee20
    Free Member

That is a correct thought, Schwalbes usually inflate nicely, but a few extra turns of insulating tape will help make the rim 'bigger'

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Schwalbe normal tyres went on okay (Alberts, Fat Alberts) but the UST versions were too tight, so I just used tape and a valve for those, not the ghetto.

As far as inflating them, I have a compressor so I couldn't say.

grumm
    Free Member

track pump usually works for me, sometimes I use a cheapo CO2 inflator if the track pump won't do it.

Jenga
    Free Member

Is there any difference between using a 24" inner tube, and wrapping the rim in tape? An inner tube seems the easiest way, but if I don't have removable cores will that bugger up the seal when I put latex in by moving the tyre off the rim?

Sorry to be a numpty, but I'm getting fed up of punctures on the commute.

BoardinBob

MBR method didn't need a removable core

PJM1974
    Free Member

It'll be hard work with a track pump, but soaping up the bead sometimes helps.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I use neat washing up liquid on the bead/rim interface

nostoc
    Free Member

I use the hose and head unit from a track pump attached to a car tyre as a DIY compressor for the difficult ones where a track pump doesn't work. Don't forget to pump up your car tyre again afterwards.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another going tubeless query.’ is closed to new replies.