Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • (Another) first time wheel build…
  • peath
    Free Member

So, I’ve ordered my SP Dynamo 32 hole hub from Taiwan, got the Roger Musson book, so I just need to buy a rim and some spokes… but what rims and spokes?

The wheel is going on my Vaya, which is used for commuting and winter road bike duties on 32c tyres… so ETRTO 622×19 maybe a Mavic TN319 or TN119…

…but eyelets or no eyelets? Does this impact the ease of the build at all?

Also where do people get spokes/nipples from?

Cheers!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have a sp tn319 wheel on my vaya :-).

i would always choose eylets if possible. ususally get spokes from cycle basket.com

you might want to think about lighter rims… 32mm will be fin on something narrower. I sort of wish i’d gone the open sport route…

marrv
    Free Member

First time wheel build.
    First time post!
    I agree, always eyelets. though I vote for strong rims over lightwieght every time,especially if it your first build as you can get away with a bit more. I have a 32 hole 719 on xt rear(sapim double butted, SS nipples form local bike shop) that have thrashed for over 2 years loaded up with gear and trailer etc. not moved yet. not exactly a zippy wheel but by eck it’s strong.
    Oh no want a Vaya now.

peath
    Free Member

I’m leaning towards the TN319 then… cheers… but where is best to get spokes?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Look at an Exal LX17 rim. Strong, not stupidly heavy and not expensive either. 17mm internal section so will happily run anything from 25c to 45c.

marrv
    Free Member

TN319 will sureley last years on a front dyno hub.
    I would just get spokes from a decent local shop that builds wheels for club racers etc. Then they should hopefully have the length you need and you can buy 34 so you have spares that you wont use.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘(Another) first time wheel build…’ is closed to new replies.