Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 268 total)
  • Another fine day for freedom of speech
  • IHN

Junkyard – you did say that only a minority overreact, but you did imply that that they [sic] are all intolerant of any criticism, which is not the case.

IHN

I’d like to see the Muslim council being more vocal/unbiased

They’re incredibly vocal, to the point where they are often criticised for sticking their noses in where they’re not wanted. As for being unbiased, you can’t really blame them for having a pro-Islamic stance can you, the clue’s kind of in the name.

hora
    Free Member

Anyway binners will have to be careful, his neighbours may get wind of this thread and place a Fatwah on him!

surfer
    Free Member

Possibly, however I would like to hear them openly criticise suicide bombers. Which goes to show how even moderate followers of Islam provide cover for more extreme Muslims.

IHN

however I would like to hear them openly criticise suicide bombers.

Do they not (an honest question)? I’d be surprised.

hora
    Free Member

IHN, they do. they just arent frequent or vocal enough on this part.

IHN
    surfer
    Free Member

Seems they do:

They never condem suicide bombers although they beat around the bush as this article shows, loss of life, all against the law of Islam etc.
    Have you ever heard one representative say that suicide bombing is wrong?

enfht
    Free Member

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Lord Ahmed’s “threat” to march 10,000 muslims on Parliament if the film is shown? How can this go unchecked? And the “threat” worked ffs! Jihadists will see this as a victory and Britain as weak and ripe for a takeover. has anyone seen the vids of UK police running backwards and retreating from Jihadi protesters a couple of weeks back. At the very least this fuels far-right wing opinion so you’d think this would be reason enough to deal with the problem instead of the Government burying their heads in the sand. If the film is so “wrong” then why not let parliament debate it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

IHN I can see your point I have used a generalisation which will be both true and false on an individual basis what else can I do when talking about a faith followed by billions of people? Inevitably it will be a broad sweeping statement with example to support and counter it.
    Can we get back to the issue now? and have a go at surfer ?

hora
    Free Member

The same Lord Ahmed who could be facing time at her majesty’s pleasure soon?

surfer
    Free Member

I’ll get me coat!

enfht
    Free Member

The same dude yes. He was texting on his mobile moments before killing a motorist, and then gave a really obstructive statement to the fuzz. He should be stripped of his title and sent down but it aint gonna happen is it cos we aint got the balls, he’s a high profile muslim and it would be deemed racist etc

hora
    Free Member

Jeffrey Archer
    Lester Piggott

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

hora,

You forgot that paragon of virtue, Lord Mandleson….

MrAgreeable

And the “threat” worked ffs! Jihadists will see this as a victory and Britain as weak and ripe for a takeover.

If you look at the list of people on the BBC website who’ve been excluded from the UK for similar reasons, there’s at least one Muslim on there. Two if you count Louis Farrakhan.

If the film is so “wrong” then why not let parliament debate it?

I don’t think that’s what was proposed at all. It was going to be shown at the invitation of a UKIP member, presumably in the hope of rallying a bit of xenophobia, but whether anyone would have turned up is another matter.

For what it’s worth I don’t agree that anyone should be prevented from entering a country because of their beliefs. But then I’m an idealistic sort of bloke, and given how good the BNP et al are are stirring up hatred while avoiding the sort of open debate that would make them look ridiculous (or lead to their arrests) I can see why the government chooses to do it.

enfht
    Free Member

“while avoiding the sort of open debate that would make them look ridiculous” sorry, I’m no BNP supporter but it’s the “No Platform” stance by the general media that prevents the BNP from getting ripped apart on Newsnight etc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The muslim council of Britain is a non extreme non fundamental moderate body. There is another much more fundamentalist gathering as well.

the Muslim Council of Britain do criticise bombers – but they get a very selective quotation in the press.

Islam is a peaceful religion – new testamentarian – turn the other cheek. Fundamentalists have hijacked things for their own ends. You wuldn’t consider a fundamentalist racist Christian representative of all christians would you?

Islam gets a very bad press.

surfer
    Free Member
    MrAgreeable

it’s the “No Platform” stance by the general media that prevents the BNP from getting ripped apart on Newsnight etc

I don’t know about this. On Newsnight, in print or via the internet, yes, but in the majority of the media the chances are they could say what they liked without being shot down, as long as an alternative viewpoint was presented.

surfer
    Free Member

Islam is a peaceful religion – new testamentarian – turn the other cheek

I beg to differ

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Lord Ahmed’s “threat” to march 10,000 muslims on Parliament if the film is shown

Purely for balance, and I dislike backward, immoderate and illiberal nutjobs as even-handedly among their many varieties as I can manage, Mohan Singh, the president of the Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Birmingham threatened that he ” could not control” tens of thousands of angry Sikhs who would understandably want to destroy a theatre showing a play that they didn’t much care for.

A transcript of this pillock’s words does not really convey the chilling threat that was absolutely explicit when he said them to camera, but here we are anyway:

BBC, December 2004
    More

I do not think Sikhism is traditionally seen as an idiot death-cult with a short fuse and no brain, but, like islam, it contains its share of touchy idiots who have not quite “got” what it is about the UK that many long-term inhabitants like, chiefly because they have wound up cramped into nasty slums of Birmingham eating the same kebabs, talking the same language, sharing the same superstition and hating the same people, just in a colder climate. It is quite easy to see how they confuse “freedom of speech” with “piss-taking”, tragic though it is.

enfht
    Free Member

I dont agree but there you go.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surfer – have you actually read any islamic stuff – the Koran or any islamic philosophy?

It is clear that islam is peaceful – to kill is wrong. remember they have the old testament as one of their holy books.

Fundamentalist islam is no more representative of the whole religion than christain fundamentalists are representative of christianity as a whole.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BTW – huffington post – the house paper of the neocon right

markenduro
    Free Member

Not read all this but to summarise:

Dutch politician makes film on how he thinks certain sections of a community who believe in a made up story use said made up story to legitimaise violence against non-believers. Other sections of community who belive in made up story and government say it is a peacful made up story. Home office bans Dutch politician from entering UK to show film so as not to provoke violence from within violent section of community who believe in made up story.

mmm.

It’s about time we had open debate in this country about all sections of political life including BNP/far right and the jihad mongers to allow us root out and face down these idiots, squashing open debate like this just adds more fuel to the fire and leads to a situation where normal people are afraid to speak out for causing offence and becoming victims of violence, which then leads to the un-democratic situation where a small section of the population gets a big say on what goes on within the country (as happens in Israel, another group who believe in yet another made up story to legitimise violence against non believers).

Just my opion, got to go now, it’s cheese and beer night at the halfway pub stop on the nightride:-)

MrAgreeable

“Losing our spines to save our necks” is certainly a lot catchier than “Withdrawing a politically suspect and pretty much pointless film from distribution in order to avoid upsetting a shedload of people”. Woo, some terrorists are Muslim! Well, Sikhs, Christians, Jews and even Buddhists are quite capable of committing murder too.

surfer
    Free Member

have you actually read any islamic stuff – the Koran or any islamic philosophy?

No not to any great extent. What philosophy do you recommend?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Markenduro.

IMO – and that is all it is its more like
    dutch racist makes film about people who believes in fairies deliberately to inflame racial tensions / hatred. Invited to UK by a racist political group to inflame the situation here. UK government decides that rather than prosecuting him after the damage has been done they would prevent the damage to our country that this would cause so prevent him from doing so.

I have struggled philosphicaly with ” no platform for racists” – at least in part because of how and where to draw the line? combat 18 (???) BNP. UKIP. tories – all racist to some degree or other.

enfht
    Free Member

And what was your conclusion regarding “no platform” TamdemJeremy?

surfer
    Free Member

With regard to the Koran specifically whilst I am sure you are pointing to the passages that preach peace and understanding my attention is drawn to the 50% plus number of passages that make reference to the hatred of the Infidels, of which I assume I am one.

Whilst the Koran has a Bi-polar personality I cant help but be swayed by its emphasis on either conversion to Islam or death, the same punishment for Apostasy etc.

I dont need to read the whole thing to realise its not my cup of tea!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have struggled philosphicaly with ” no platform for racists” – at least in part because of how and where to draw the line? combat 18 (???) BNP. UKIP. tories – all racist to some degree or other.

Good, you’re back to normal. So, you do that classic piece of sh1t argument of lumping anyone to the right of you in the same pot as being a Nazi. Well done. Very clever.

I’d put myself as a Tory, so does that make me racist? According to you it does. Tw@

surfer
    Free Member

dutch racist makes film about people who believes in fairies deliberately to inflame racial tensions / hatred

You are jumping to conclusions. He claims that although people may be offended that is not the intention of his film. We should not be in the business of providing special status for religion. It can be offended with the rest of us not given special dispensation.

binners

Give em enough rope…

A ‘spokesman for the muslim community’ has just been on Radio 4 saying how he has a ‘right’ to his faith, but these ‘rights’ should not extend to someone being allowed to publicly criticise his faith.

So in what way is this not facism/totalitarianism? Therefore proving the Dutch film-makers entire point.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Do we all agree that when these clowns have grown the hell up to the extent that they can manage the feat of just ignoring other idiots who deliberately provoke them rather than insisting on de-capitating them and putting the videos on YouTube for one another to jerk off to the world will be a happier and saner place? 😉

tyger
    Free Member

Binners – you’re right!

Just wondering if the BBC will have this item as a question given on Question Time tonight of is it recorded earlier?

MrAgreeable

Doesn’t sound like he’s “criticising” it, more doing the equivalent of drawing horns and a swastika on someone’s picture. I mean, if someone made a film called “Binners molests pigs”, which juxtaposed images of your face and a hooded man molesting a pig, you’d be pretty ticked off, no?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

enfit – i didn’t reach one. Many folk have debated this and I can reach no conclusions myself and I have never heard a conclusive arguement either way

Surfer IIRC the freedom party is a racist / fascist party – of course he would say that in the way that the BNP claim not to be racist

CFH – maybe I didn’t make my point well. The tory party clearly has racist elements in it – the least tho of any of the parties I mentioned. Not to say all Tories are racist. I was trying to show the difficulties in a “no platform for racists” IE where would you draw a line if you had a policy of “no platform for racists” Clearly combat 18 are way beyond the pale. tories are a legitimate party. if you have no platform for racists does this include the BNP? Ukip? Tories? etc – that is the philosophical difficulty with this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tolerance means we tolerate them believing in something we do not and they tolerate us not believing in something they do.

If they have the right to preach to us or speak publicly about their religion(whichever religion it is) then we have the right to comment on it and our lack of faith. It is a shame the commentator here is a bit of a racist himself but he still has the right to criticise said religion and they then criticies him etc etc.
    No one needs to die or threaten anyone we are all adults and can engage our rational minds ….ahh I think I see the problem now

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Another fine day for freedom of speech’ is closed to new replies.