Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Another exciting mudguards and pannier rack attachment question
  • IHN

I want to put mudguards and a rear rack on my commuter/tourer/winter roady bike. It’s had one or the other on before, now I want both on. It has a single attachment eyelet on the dropout.

Am I best to attach it all to the one eyelet, using a suitably long bolt, or mount one thing to the eyelet and the other to a p-clip on the seat stay? And if that option, which should I attach to which?

schmiken

I mount mudguards and rack to one eyelet using a longer bolt. Been fine for a few years.

takisawa2

Same here.
    No issues.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’m in the “both in the same eyelet” club too

moonwrasse
    Free Member

A lot of Tubus racks have 2 fixing mounts so you can fit your mudguards to the rack https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=34442;menu=1000,5,79

IHN

Smashing, cheers chaps.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Seeing as this seems to have been answered, I don’t feel too guilty hijacking the thread…

I regularly remove/refit my rack and guards on my steel day one. Every time I do it I have fears that the eyelets are going to strip. Assuming I don’t over tighten (which I probably do), how long should they last? And is there any fix if they do strip?

IHN

Don’t feel guilty, cos I’ll respond, and it’s my thread 🙂

Mine have stripped on one side, so I just use a nut on the other side of the eyelet. It’s an ally frame though, I’d expect a steel one to be more resilient.

TiRed

I mounted mudguards from the inside and rack from the outside. It’s a nice wide welded on eyelet though, not integral to the dropout. On other bikes I mount both from outside with a longer bolt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another exciting mudguards and pannier rack attachment question’ is closed to new replies.