Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another Electrician advice question
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My House was flooded Boxing day 2015, we are now pretty close to the end of reinstatement.
    The building Co electrician totally rewired electric points downstairs. He provided for electric oven, hob and extractor, 3 separate cables to those. He’s put in a switch on the wall which switches on/off the supply to the oven and Hob, he’s also put in a new distribution board, all of it will be to current standards.

Tried the oven tonight for the first time and it tripped, not just the switch on the dist. board for the oven/hob, but the main switch for the whole house.

Any ideas/advice?, Obviously I’ll be on to them tomorrow, but I’d like to go into the conversation with some idea of what’s going on and what the possible causes are.
    Thanks in advance

Liftman

Did they wire the oven/hob to the switch ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes it appears so, I switched the switch on the wall and both came to life. Both are on the same switch on the Dist. board as well I think. The hob wasn’t on when I tried the oven tho.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a second switch next to it, a bit different looking (but with a red top), no idea yet what that is for.

donks
    Free Member

RCD tripped.

rwamartin
    Free Member

It does sound as if the RCD tripped as well as the MCB. I would like to see a picture of your new main board to be able to diagnose this a bit better though. Any chance of this?
    Rich.

Edit:
    Also I’d like to see a picture of the main fuse location – ie where it comes into the house as I am interested in the type of earthing system you’ve got. (Sad, I know!).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

OK thanks, but I’m back in the rental property, but will do it tomorrow.

Also I’d like to see a picture of the main fuse location – ie where it comes into the house as I am interested in the type of earthing system you’ve got. (Sad, I know!).

would this be where the meter is?

alanl
    Free Member

I’ve had it numerous times – new oven tripping the RCD.
    It will most likely be trace water in the heating element, this causes a small amount of current to leak to earth, thus trips the RCD.
    The only cure is to warm up the element. Once dried out, it’ll be fine.
    If possible (it may not be), put the oven on a non-RCD supply. If a new board, then I doubt you will have a non-RCD circuit.
    Probably try a hot air blower/fan heater in the oven to get it hot, then try again.
    If not, blow lamp gently on the element, but that may not be possible if the element is behind the oven back wall.
    If that fails, get a sparky in to run a non rcd supply for 15 minutes to dry it out.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ll take a heater with me and try that out.

Just reading back, my post was a bit misleading, only the main switch went (RCD?), not the little switch for the Hob/oven (MCB?), but def caused by the Oven. Didn’t try the hob as it’s induction and I didn’t have an appropriate pan to activate it.

rwamartin
    Free Member

I’d concur with AlanL on this. I was a bit concerned when you said “the main switch for the whole house” as its not good practice to put the whole house on one RCD. If its been done properly there should be at least 2 RCDs with circuits distributed between them.
    Rich.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Basically it’s a Schneider box with a set of these in it, there’s about 6 or 8 MCB’s divided into lights, oven/hob, etc etc. It’s the switch on the right that keeps tripping.

raymeridians
    Free Member

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cheers for that, all working now after 30mins with a fan heater in the oven. Now got the oven on to dry it out properly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another Electrician advice question’ is closed to new replies.